I Need A New Tube Amp & I'm Overwhelmed By The Chocies. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarshaman, Aug 18, 2008.

1. guitarshaman

guitarshaman Supporting Member

Hi,
    I've been reading a lot of posts because I'm in the market for a new amp, but since there are an overwhelming amount of amps available I thought I'd just come right out and ask for advice. I need a tube amp between 30-60 watts that has a good clean channel and also some good dirt for modern rock. Also, I'm not a fan of "dark" sounding amps and I play p-90 equipted guitars. To give you an example of what I'll be playing, here's the bands myspace page that I just joined: http://www.myspace.com/haroh

Right now I'm strongly considering a Ceriatone DC30, would this be a good choice? My current amp is a Traynor YCV40T and it's just not really doing it for me, not bad, but not great. Thanks in advance! I know you guys know a lot more than I do about gear, so your advice is much appriciated.

2. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

What's your budget?

I've played the new Vox AC30cc2 with Celestion Blues and I believe it would do GREAT for you based on what I hear on your MySpace page.

At the other end of the spectrum, weighing in close to $3k, would be what I'd consider my all around dream amp - a Kingley Tone Baron, which can do very arcticulate sounds ranging from hard rock to chime.

Check out http://www.kingsleyamplifiers.com/. You might also look at the D30 and D32 while you're there.

3. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

I've been doin' this guitar thing for goin' on 48 years now and I'm overwhelmed by the choices! Like the other guys already said, it sometimes helps to decide on the type of music you're interested in and start there with your amp choices.

Tom

4. Keld

Keld Member

An Orange Rockerverb might be worth checking out. Or maybe a Mesa Maverick. Or maybe an Elmwood Modena. Just to give you a few options.

Have fun!

5. guitarshaman

Thanks for the input so far guys. Unfortunately my budget isn't much more than $800, so I'm definitely looking for something used. I've thought about a Vox as well, would the Ceriatone DC30 get into Vox territory?

6. Belmont

Belmont Member

the darkest amp I've ever owned was a Vox,cool amp but it had literally one tone,albeit a good one.with your money I'd get a silverface bassman and 2x12 cab,that'll get you great cleans to moderate crunch,and use a pedal for higher gain sounds.

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Stick an eq into your amp's loop and experiment freely. You may find out whether you just need a tonal adjustment or are looking for some special characteristic and narrow down the field that way.

Run your amp into the best available speakers and you may also be done.

Try as many as possible, in your environment. The Holy Grail of amps is somewhat mythical.

8. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member

9. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Is reverb important? The DC30 does not have it; The AC30cc2 does.

Otherwise, the Ceriatone is going to be hand wired (by whom, you'll have to guess if you buy used), and the Vox is circuit board.

No clue about the long term durability of either. There quite a few circuit board amps out there that hold up well and there are some handwired ones that were problematic - like the original handwired AC30's.

10. trwigg

trwigg Member

Doesn't really matter what you buy because as soon as you buy it you will start looking for the next one! Just one of the hazzards of being a member on TGP but it is also part of the fun. Good luck.

11. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

In the sub $1000 arena, I really dig the Kustom Coupes. Really versatile amps that no one knows anything about.

12. klaetos

klaetos Member

According to the website there are two guitars. What kind of amp is the other guy playing? If the lead singer is doing the rhythm and you are doing mostly leads or the other way around you will want something that will work with the other amp. Sounds like I am hearing two amps in the mix already.

13. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

We have many different amps, including a few Ceriatone models. They have a great product. I think you would be very happy with there DC 30. Have you ever played a Fender Silver Face Bassman 50? If you get one that was capped and maintained by a good tech, all you need is an Avatar 2x12. This combination will keep you in quality tone, near your price range, for years and years.
    But back to your Traynor, I think that is a pretty decent amp to be honest with you. Have you owned it for a few years? I do not think you have heard the potential of that amp until you have:

1. Installed some quality modern day tubes from somebody like, TungSol, JJ, TAD, maybe some Wnged =C= etc. etc. Those tubes can make a very pleasing improvement. Give these guys a shout for advice.
    http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/
    http://thetubestore.com/
    http://www.dougstubes.com/

2. Buy some good speakers! Modern day amps of mass production come with horrible speakers. Not just Traynor, but Fender, Vox, Marshall, etc. etc. Good quality speakers will make a Huge difference for you.
    http://www.eminence.com/guitar.asp?speaker_size=10
    https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/

Best of luck with whatever you decide.;)

14. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

$800 should get you a used Genz Benz Black Pearl 1x12. It's 30watts, 4xEL84's and includes a Red Fang speaker. Tonally, it's in the Vox / Matchless mode, but has a voicing switch that allows some flexibility...settings are deep, bright, normal, dark and thick. I loved mine, but just shipped it yesterday in a trade for the 3x10 model, which should be here tomorrow.

John

15. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

From what I heard a Rivera era fender would be about right.

16. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

You might find a Budda in that range. You'll probably have to go a little higher to get there, but you'll be getting world class overdrive that is road tested, and a sweet clean to boot.

The SD30 might be too brown for you, I KNOW the 45 won't be though, but it's going to be harder to find and cost more.

Also, maybe a used Orange?

17. guitarshaman

Sorry I haven't replied back until now, been busy. Thanks to everyone who has posted suggestions, there are some really good amps to look into here. Also, the other guitar player in the band plays a Guild S-60 through a 80's single channel Marshall JCM800, to answer that question.