I need a NON-true bypass boost. What is available?

KBN

Hi, I am looking for a buffer to put at the beginning of my signal chain and I also want a boost pedal at the beginning of the chain to boost my lower output guitars. All the boosts that I have found are true bypass. Let's talk about good boost pedals that have a buffer in them. Thanks.

mattmccloskey

Silver Supporting Member
Hi, I am looking for a buffer to put at the beginning of my signal chain and I also want a boost pedal at the beginning of the chain to boost my lower output guitars. All the boosts that I have found are true bypass. Let's talk about good boost pedals that have a buffer in them. Thanks.
MI audio Boost n' Buff

ben-horn

A pedal that*s rarely discussed here and way underrated:

Tone bone Big shot PB1

It's a class A buffer with Boost on tap.

In my opinion there are usualy two types of buffers/Clean Boosts:
1: IC Type like Xotic RC and MXR CAE 401
They are realy clean but mostly take some life out of the guitar
and tends to a hard and sterile top end.
2: Retro one transistor type like sho ,catalinbread picosos and EHX lpb.
They all have their own sound (maybe great) but are not realy clean.

The Bigshot PB1 is a more complex transistor schematic
and realy worth a try.

JVania

At the risk of sounding dumb I have a buffer/boost question:
How can pedals like the Super Chili Picoso, SHO, and Launch Pad be buffers and be true bypass? Are they not really TB? Does it mean that they are buffers only when engaged? Sorry to hijack the thread but this has confused me for a while.

Marcocet

I can only speak for the SHO, but it is only a buffer when engaged. However plenty of people (myself included) leave them on all the time.

-marc alan

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
The grandaddy of em all is the mxr micro amp. Guaranteed NON-TB. Good buffer with huge input impedance for minimal signal loss. Gets lost in all the cork sniffing.

kp8

$100 ... got a boost 'n' buff. Great buffer and crazy headroom (the most i have ever seen, by far) on the boost and low noise. Both more boost and more buff then you will ever need. Buffer is off when then boost is up past 11 o'clock as i understand it. Anyway i got it for exactly the reasons you describe. Works great, only a few baloney skins more than the mxr.

KBN

Please stop suggesting true bypass boosts. Like I said, a boost pedal that has a buffer in it. Buffer on all the time, boost engaged with footswitch. Looks like the boost n buff is what I need. The Microamp might be a good option as well.

Trending Topics