1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

I need a second amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dallas, Mar 19, 2006.

1. dallas

dallas Member

I have a Hot Rod for a clean amp. I'm looking to get a Dirty amp. I play Blues and Good O'l Rock. What's a decent amp that would work well with the Fender?

2. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

An 18 watt Marshall Clone! Guess what, I have a GDS 18W I'm selling (sorry for the cheap comercial). If you are interested, let me know via Private Message.

3. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

Have you experimented with pedals for the hot rod? That's what I'd do first. If you want ideas, do a search for opinions on the plethora of pedals, boutique ir otherwise, that are available. Many can get very convincing amp overdrive.
    I use a Naylor SC38, great classic rock, tweed meets plexi tones. THD Flexi is nice too. Nice Marshally tones. Cleans are courtesy of a '66 super reverb.

4. dallas

dallas Member

Good Ideas. a Pedal is an option, I haven't found a decent one yet.

5. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

Zen Drive might be the ticket. Lots of folks around here love the Timmy. I have a Maxon OD808 that works really well in most amps.

Peace,
    duffy

6. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

Blues Driver sounds great through those amps. Low gain but high on the volume kicks it in the ass.

7. homerayvaughan

What have you tried?

8. dallas

dallas Member

I want a Marshall sound. That's why I brought up the second amp. Trower, Just KITA Full out rock. I have used a 808, TS5, TS9 and I currently use a tone driver and an Ibanez distortion pedal.

9. baald

baald Member

read the threads on the MI crunchbox. might be what the dr ordered.

10. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

Trade the Hot Rod in for a Traynor YCV50BLUE. I have yet to demo it, but a knowledgeable dealer has told me the 50BLUE has a clean channel like a Fender, but the drive channel is closer to a Marshall. If it's anything like my YCV20WR, it'll be a great amp.

11. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Don't buy the YCV50 Blue, I owned one for a couple days, and the overdriven channel had a "buzziness" that could not be dialed out, no matter how hard I tried. The clean channel was nice, but if I added an overdrive to that, it became "buzzy" too. It was very frustrating, because I really, really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't.

12. homerayvaughan

Well, if you want to look at pedals in the Marshall camp, I think a lot of people like the OCD by Fulltone. I thought the Barber Direct Drive got nice Marshall/ straight up rock tones, and they are cheap and true bypass. Lots of options out there, best bet is to do a search. It's a topic that's been covered thoroughly. I wouldn't go so far as to trade or sell an amp you are happy with.

13. Nativ H

Nativ H Member

Marshall JTM45's are nice dirty/crunchy sounding Marshalls. Think Angus tones, but they are not very loud. With nice KT66's, they are only a 30 watt amp and you can dime them without losing your hearing. After about half volume on the knob, they just get more compressed and overdriven, but not louder. :D

14. dallas

dallas Member

I guess I need to shop around huh? Awesome suggestions. I know this is lame, but I had a Marshall AVT50 combo that sounded okay. I just thought an all tuber would give me the distorted tone. I'll look into some higher dollar pedals also.