I need a second delay, analog maybe?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by d-b, Mar 5, 2008.

1. d-b

d-b Member

I love my DD-20 but I am looking for a second delay (lets say analog) to mainly use for very spacey volume swells. You know...on the edge of self oscillation washed repeats almost Cathedral reverb sounds.

What does this best?

2. devnulljp

devnulljp Member

I have a retrosonic analogue delay, which I like a lot, but it sounds like you want a DMM?

3. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I use a Nova Delay and have an Analogman analog delay ( 600 mls version ) for just that very reason........it's has the best oscillation control of any analog delay I've used.....I use it for sonic washes underneath what I'm playing in some songs..........just adds this beautiful churn and hypnotic pulse underneath everything. Sounds very musical and warm. The delays fade out beautifully and you can get the fade to last almost endlessly if wanted.....you can also get it to go it that crazy uncontrollable oscillation as well, but I dont use it for that

I have a volume pedal in front of both for beautiful swells as well.........

4. d-b

d-b Member

The DMM is one that I am looking at but had hoped for something smaller!

5. rossowj

rossowj Member

RV-3 mode 7? maybe?

6. drod2045

drod2045 Member

cant the DD20 do that? i dont have one but why not raise the feedback, put it on tape mode and do volume swells with guitar knob or a pedal?

7. bestegw

bestegw Member

If you're not especially hooked on analog, you could also go for the T-Rex Replica. That one gives you al lot of options!!! My personal choice is the Line 6 DL4, which (in my opinion) sounds really great in a live situation. In the studio I prefer true analog, like the DMM...

Another option: how about the Keeley modded Ibanez AD9? Gets quite spacey too!!!

8. TimH

TimH Member

Deluxe Memory Man...there is a reason such a big pedal STILL gets real estate on MANY pro boards...sorry, size is not an excuse for THAT tone.

9. d-b

d-b Member

It does it well but often I want to layer a preset delay pattern into the wash effect so I want a second delay for layering.

10. d-b

d-b Member

Any thoughts on the Diamond Memory Lane? Analog with tap tempo I think?

11. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

12. Greenbacker

Greenbacker Member

Have you checked out the Maxon AD9pro? It has a dual head mode switch (to simulate tape delay) true bypass and 450ms delay time (as opposed to the typical 300ms) I got one when they first came out. It sounds great but it might be available if you're interested.

13. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I use a TimeFactor and a Memory Lane - the Memory Lane compliments it quite well for more abstract uses.

14. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

DE-7 - cheap and great self-oscillation in echo mode. RE-20?

15. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

I wanted a delay with more features than my DD-2, ended up trying out a Line 6 Echo Park, figuring I'd return it- it's a keeper. For the money, it's got tap tempo, the swell feature you're looking for, and 3 modes(analog, tape, digital) which allow pretty nice variability. Not the quietest delay, a bit of hiss, but overall a good tradeoff of sound, $$$$, and pedal board real estate.

16. TimH

TimH Member

The memory lane is not as good at this as the DMM is...save money and buy the DMM first dude, seriously!

17. dB

dB Member

I've ended up with three on my board which seem to cover the entire range and, combined, still take up less space than a DMM: an Analogman delay for slapback and general shorter, fattening type delay, a Malekko 600 for longer delay and self oscillation (which I think may be based on the DMM) and an EchoPark for the more gimmicky (yet lovable) sounds i.e. Ducking, Swell, Reverse, etc

I couldn't be happier with this combo.

18. burner

burner Member

I like the boss and especially the Ibanez analog delays....particularly the AD-80 or even the AD9.
    There's a killer nice AD-80 on ebay right now for a *really* good price...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130202953452&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=003

The guy has been know to take cash offers from TGP'ers on his listed stuff too.

19. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Depends on if you want to sacrifice a small tonal difference with more features and flexibility. The DMM has no tap tempo, they can be unreliable and noisy, and are freaking huge as well. (although the DML is pretty big too though.)

20. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

I had you same needs. Having a Nova, I needed an analog one. I solved the problem with MALEKKO 600 BRIGHT...a keeper!