I Need A Small Grab and Go Combo that Sounds Great for Modern Rock!

Hendog

I am starting to play these open mic nights and setting up my rig is out of the question. The stage is tiny and I have to setup and breakdown in minutes.

I was thinking about doing a Line 6 Spider 75 or something but I have heard that they sound processed when turned up.

I need something that is portable/small and sounds good.

StompBoxBlues

Budda SD18/30 1x12
YESSS!

Amazing amps, great sound, two channels, clean is great, OD is fantastic, fx loop that works great, LIGHT to carry, works great with single or humbucker pickups...OD is killer on it. Touch, sensitive to...

Oh yeah, and when you change the output tubes, no biasing. Just get matched tubes, put em in.

rust_in_peace

I'm going to second the recomendation for the Tech 21 Trademark 60. Lightweight, portable, and sounds good at low volumes.

AshyLarry

They are quite heavy. My F30 is atleast 50lbs, I've never had one but I've heard the Mark combos are even heavier, like 70+!

I was just working on a friend's DC-5. That amp sounds great but is the heaviest 1x12 amp I've ever seen! It's gotta be close to 60 lbs.

StompBoxBlues

I have no dog in this race...I mean, it doesn't matter to me if my suggestion wins but just will mention (and for the record, I haven't tried the other amps mentioned here except the Classic30)

The thing about the Budda SD-series, other than what I mentioned already, is there is a great master volume on it, and it works really well. Also the tone controls are just totally perfect in my estimation for quick setup in that unless you go really drastic with them...it always sounds great and you can tweak that little bit if you want to get it even better.

For me, it is one of those amps where I just plain do not need an OD pedal at all. It is so much better than any OD I have. The clean on the SD-18 has less headroom, but both still sound great.

ford

Modz
Staff member
I'd check out the new Dr. Z Monza 1x10 combo..... comes with an Eminence Red Fang 10" speaker....

I really want one myself.

headstash

Silver Supporting Member
Another vote for the rebel 30. Great little amp that can get LOUD. 2ch, footswitchable reverb, lots to tweak, excellent hard rock tones. I'm still in the honeymoon period with mine but certainly no buyers remorse here.

Jim S

Platinum Supporting Member
Soldano 44

http://www.bluescitymusic.com/soldano-44.htm

combo amp (17.5” x 17.5” x 10” and under 50 lbs.), with 6L6/5881 output tubes pushed by 50 watt transformers, 5 12AX7’s, a reverb circuit as lush as possible, a standard tone stack including a presence control, a pregain control, and a Normal and Lead Master Volume. What makes this amp so different from any other small sized combo amp on the market is that YOU, the customer, have 6 different options to choose from in regards to CUSTOMER upgrades. These include 2 choices of tolex color, 5 speaker choices, 2 chassis to speaker and 2 reverb tank harness choices, 3 preamp tube choices, 3 output tubes choices, and 3 custom made Studio Slips custom cover choices.

Trending Topics