I need a solid body acoustic-electric. Suggestions needed...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jtw, Jul 14, 2008.

1. jtw

jtw Member

Here's the deal. I just got a new gig where at least a fair percentage of the time I will be needing to play acoustic. I've had a Takamine acoustic/electric for years now, but honestly it's really not best thing for me to play in this situation. It's not all that comfortable for me to play for long periods of time, the pickup isn't that good, not super easy to play, etc. So, I'm on the hunt for a solid body acoustic electric.

The Rick Turner offerings look fantastic, but unfortunately pretty far out of my price range. Budget at this point is at $500. That's asking a lot for the price-point, I know, but it's what I have to work with.

I looked at the Line 6 Variax 300 acoustic, but it seems as if those may have some issues, and are now discontinued anyway. The local GC has one at a fairly decent price though, so it's still in the running.

Another option in my price range is the Epiphone version of the Chet Atkins solid body acoustic. Sub-$400 I believe.

Are there any other options for me in this price range that you all think would be good choices? I'm not really an acoustic player and would like to find something that at least sort of feels and plays like an electric while still getting that plugged in acoustic tone.

Thanks everybody for any guidance

jtw

2. Cowboy

Cowboy Member

Carvin AC 175 or AC 375 - Quality build, quality pickup systems, and NO FEEDBACK!!!! :phones

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have no experience with their electrics, but the solid acoustics are just terrific, for exactly what you describe. And a LOT cheaper than, say, a Gibson SST.

I'd steer away from the Epiphone version of the Chet Atkins, btw. Lousy build and incredibly crappy sound. :Spank Grrrr....

(The blue AC375 is for sale, btw...pm me, if interested)

Cheers,
    Cowboy

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  3. Ogre

Ogre Member

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I use a Boss AC-3 acoustic simulator. It's got a line out for acoustic sounds to go to the PA and electric to a guitar amp. Hooked up like that, it sounds as good as a decent piezo equipped acoustic/electric.

6. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

7. James

James Member

A great obscure low-rent solid-body acoustic is the Washburn SBF-80. It's a knock-off of the Gibson Chet Atkins. The pick-up sounds really good, the intonation is excellent, and they can often be find used for $300-$400 or less. They made them in black (which is what I have), natural and sunburst (used to have one of those). The sunburst model has the worst-looking clownburst finish in the history of bad clownburst finishes. I have mine set up with acoustic .011s with a wound third. Used to use .012s. I've never liked the sound of any acoustic-electric guitars with really light guage strings with a plain third. An SBF-80 strung up with medium to heavy strings sounds good.

All best,
    James

8. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Godin A6 with 10-47 phosphor bronzewounds; sub the wound G with an 018 plain if you want to play it like a lead guitar. The black one looks great on stage, and it's really comfortable.-Eric

9. MartinC

MartinC Member

Why not try a Line 6 Variax (rather than a Variax Acoustic). I haven't played one myself but I've seen others use them live to good effect. They have a few acoustic models included ... and I imagine they'd feel exactly like playing an electric ... with a whole range of electric models in there too. Not one for the tone purists, but for live versatility maybe ...

10. bdegrande

bdegrande Member

You might consider one of the lower end Variax electrics. The acoustic Variaxes aren't really acoustic, the sound hole is the only hollow part and you won't get much sound unplugged (I have a 700), The electrics have most of the acoustic sounds - including 12 strings, banjo, sitar, dobro (they don't have the mandola or shamisen, but the 300 acoustic didn't have any of those options).

They will give you loud (and pretty accurate) acoustic sounds without feedback and without any of the physical difficulties of playing a large bodied acoustic.

11. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Chet Atkins SST....find one on Ebay.

12. ratkent

ratkent Member

I was going to suggest the Greg Bennett line as well. The solid Blackbird model is very cool.

13. scott58

scott58 Member

+1 I have a 700 electric also. Running clean through a PA gives great results in the acoustic range. I also have a Dean with a piezo bridge pickup. For acoustic the Variax is alot better.

14. beej

beej Supporting Member

Music Man with the built in piezo. Quite a few that are hardtail or non-floating trem that would do great (Axis, Silhouette, Albert Lee, etc.). Godins are excellent for the money too.

I do a lot of acoustic gigs with an electric (Music Man Steve Morse), I've put the Ghost piezo system in there and it's a lot handier than using my acoustic.