I need a solo boost but don't like stacking pedals!??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Thin Slices, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Thin Slices

Thin Slices Member

For years I used the boost side (clean, unsaturated boost) on a Carl Martin Hot Driven Boost as a solo boost. I have also tried other clean boosters. Same result. Usually I have a single drive/fuzz pedal running as an always-on pedal. The booster is just suppose to bring the volume up a bit for solos.

Each and every combination I have tried has given me a tone that had some kind of bad, compressed thing to it. Even if the sound is acceptable, then the feel and DYNAMICS is bad compared to just turning up the vol on the drive pedal.

Has anyone else experienced this and how do you deal with it?

I would like to avoid the obvious solution of buying two examples of every drive pedal I own.

How can I then get a solo boost without loosing the dynamics and feel? It is only a few db's I am asking for.

Andreas

2. KBN

KBN Member

are you running the clean boost before or after your overdrive?

3. thedroid

thedroid Member

My first question too. Put it after, and you shouldn't get any more compression or drive, except maybe from your amp.

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The TIM pedal would be my first choice but the newer Fulldrive GT500 can get some pretty killer tones. I especially liked the boost side of this pedal but the Distortion side was really good at higher settings.

5. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

have you tried a volume pedal at the end of your chain? Passive volume pedals tend to have a little tone suck so an active pedal would help.

6. Thin Slices

Thin Slices Member

Always use clean boosters AFTER the drive section. I certainly feel and hear a difference. It is not so much a change in the tone itself. It is more a change in dynamics and feel...

And just to clarify, it is not because I overload a modulation effect or something like that.

No, I haven't used a volume pedale for 12years. Tried a couple then, didn't liked them and have never considered using them since. Maybe I should?

7. Thin Slices

Thin Slices Member

For example, when I play gigs with a fuzz as an always-on pedal I use the guitar vol. to go from clean to screaming leads. Adding a clean boost after the fuzz seems to do something bad to the sound.

I am really not an audiophile, I am not a boutique snob. I will use what works no matter if it says Boss or The-next-hyped-up-boutique-company. I like the transparancy of George L's but prefere cheap cords that are not as stiff physically... but boosting drive pedals really puzzles me.

8. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Try an Electro-Harmonix LPB ("Linear" Power Booster - it's about as linear as a well-spiked mohawk). It does a terrific job of goosing overdrives without making them more compressed-sounding. It DOES change the tone as well as make it louder, but in a good way imho.

I use the LPB before my dirt pedals, and a PE Germ after them. It's two channels (one is slightly dirty), so I can use it as additional boost when needed.

9. thedroid

thedroid Member

Well, I don't know what clean boosts you've tried. I like the SHO. The RC Booster is pretty tweakable. So is the TIM/Timmy with the gain down. Or try a volume pedal, as someone else suggested.

10. joepopp

joepopp Member

I use a MXR Microamp clone following the OD pedal. It sounds awesome! I tried two Tube Screamers in a row and I did not like this at all even if the one following my drive sound was set to a clean boost.

11. waveman

waveman Member

Umm, how about an EQ pedal? If you insist on a "dirt pedal" for clean boost, then the Fulltone Fat Boost is a great choice. Put either after your primary dirt pedal(s).

12. el34power

el34power Member

Boost n buff, Katana, I like the Keeley BD-2 a lot, but it does compress a tad.

13. Thin Slices

Thin Slices Member

I have tried the SHO in my friends rig. My impression was that it - very unlike other clean boost pedals - had an effect kinda like a subtle bright switch or a presence-boost. At least that was my impression of it in his rig. The amp was a bright and not very good sounding deluxe reverb RI.

14. Seegs

Seegs Member

if you're still using them...ditch the GLs and get some nice patch cables and then try all your pedal combinations again...

if you're still not happy I'd say add a Klon...record your tones before and after you kick the Klon on and see what it does to your guitar in the band mix...

Chow,
    Seegs

15. thedroid

thedroid Member

Yes, this is right. If your amp is bright with a lot of headroom, the extra presence will be unwelcome. I think the SHO works best with darker or easily overdriven amps.

16. drod2045

drod2045 Member

katana at the end - knob in or out (out gives a little more ooph and a tweak more mids - knob in and it sounds uncolored totally to me)

17. richey88

richey88 Member

+ 1 on the LBP 1. I have either Fuzz or OD before it (never liked them stacked) but my ears hear the fuzzed-out sound just louder for solos. I naver notice that it colors the sound that much. Cheap too, been my boost of choice since it's release (the Nano). Micro Amp works well also.

18. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

I believe the issue has more to do with the impedance of the fuzz pedal, which is from a transistor.

Is there any boost pedal that doesn't effect the tone?
    Actually, no. (Because the fuzz is always on).

Placing the boost in front of the fuzz will result in more distortion, instead of a clean boost.
    Placing the boost after the fuzz changes the impedance it sees - from your amp to a higher impedance source like an opamp.
    (The difference would be subtle).

Is there a solution ... somewhat complicated but someone might be able to build a fuzz with two volume knobs and a switch.

19. Thin Slices

Thin Slices Member

But then, if the pedal is buffered, shouldn't the impendance that the fuzz sees be the same no matter if the pedal is on or off?

Also, is it not possible to make a clean booster pedal with same input impedance as the amp and same putput impedance as the average pedal?

I have thought about that too however, it makes life a whole lot more difficult each time I find a new fuzz/od to use! then I might just buy two of everything and use an a/b box.

20. wc8485

wc8485 Member

Got an fx loop on your amp?
    Slap an EQ pedal/Micro Amp/LBP in there... or try it at the end of your fx chain/post fuzz.

The Xotic RC booster, run either way may work also, I don't have personal experience with it though.