i need a sparkly pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sssmile, Dec 17, 2005.

1. sssmile

sssmile Member

my amp is a voxy D13, I need something along the lines of a mxr micro amp or zvex sho. I want that sparkly clarity thickening tone that they give. I am kind of sick of the sho and the micro is not really as good as the sho. Will any overdrive give me this? I want that clean sparkle maybe a timmy? any of the xotic effects? I don't like a ton of compression, I like nice open tones. I also would like to be able to push it a bit more and use it for overdrive tones as well. I don't need 100% transparency. Just something that if added sounds good. suggestion? thankyou

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

$$$$ -Klon
    $$$ - Keeley Time Boost
    $$ - VooDoo Lab Sparkle Drive
    $ - Timmy

3. Franklin

Franklin Member

Yes, try one of the xotic pedals! What is about the SHO is it that you are sick of?

The xotic AC, cleanest, RC a little more drive and the BB preamp has a lot of drive. They all have tone controls.

4. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

COT 50 comes to my mind. jon

5. Frostbite Slim

Frostbite Slim Member

The Nick Greer Green Giant would fit that bill. Not quite as sparkly as a Sparkle Drive (which I found to "buzzy" sounding). With the Clean Mix all the way CW it almost has a clean boost vibe.

You can still dial in a good amount of OD if needed.

6. TwinandTwang

TwinandTwang Member

Try a Durham Sex Drive, or a Mucho Boosto, depending on if you want added gain/overdrive ( mucho boosto) or just some sparkly sustainy presence wi5thout added overdrive.

7. D.G.

D.G. Member

I think you have a typo: the RC is cleanest -- actually only very very mild dirt with the gain cranked to the top. The AC has more drive and if memory serves, has no clean setting at all. I've never owned the BB, so I can't comment on it.

8. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I really like my Timmy used as a clean boost. Sparkly, well I dont know, but it really makes the notes bloom and come to life.

9. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

You may want to try a good buffer, like an Axess BS2, which will restore lost highend and add back a more natural sparkle.

10. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Member

You've noticed the highs are soft and slightly subdued - most of the voxy amps I've played through have benefitted by a treble booster - that's probably what you are looking for.

I use a Janglebox for my 65amps London - it boosts the treble and smooths out the top end, adds jangle too.

11. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

12. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

lovepedal COT 50:AOK

13. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I'll go with an RC Boost. A good friend of mine hosts an open jam here in town and his rig consists of a Maz 38 head and he runs a Fulldrive, a vintage Rat, an RC Boost, a Barber Tone Pump and most recently a Tim, along with various wah's and vibes. He is already clipping the amp and whenever I sit it, I only use the RC Boost for solo's and the sound is just HUGE! I really dig that pedal, but never got it to sound right for me with my rig, but with his I think it is just magic, and in my personal opinion all he needs. Just my 2 cents.

14. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

Of my pedals, the two that I'd call "sparkly" would be the Zvex SHO and Keeley Java-boost

15. T-bone

T-bone Member

SHO is indeed sparkly.
    RC boost would work-I just sold one and I'm missing it.