I need a wah pot...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hazel-rah, Jan 2, 2008.

1. hazel-rah

hazel-rah Supporting Member

My 846 houses a dead fulltone pot. I emailed Mr. Teese, but he couldn't help this time. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Johnny

2. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

Another fulltone pot sounds about right. I'm guessing that you don't want to go that route though since you contacted teese, I'm guessing he's probably just keeping enough parts in stock for the wahs he's building, otherwise I can't think of many other people as helpful as Mr. Teese. I have a fulltone pot in my 847 and it has worked great for years.

3. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

What is the characteristic of the Fulltone pots?
    Is it a smooth transition with a wide sweet spot and wide sweep?
    If so, the DiYa pots that are on ebay match that (I'm using one in my v847). These are supposed to be Fulltones without the stamp.

Or do they have a quicker transition - and if so, where does it occur (more towards the heel or toe side)?
    I just replaced a Hotpotz II that did this, as the sweep was so close to the toe that I couldn't get used to it.

4. EXP

EXP Member

Gut shots are like eye candy to guitar geeks like me.:D Could you post a pic of the inside?

The 846's are my favorite Vox wahs. Does yours have the film can or stack of dimes inductor?

Try to find an ICAR pot if you can.

5. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

mistercoffee, I would say that it has a pretty smooth transition. I have played crybabys with hotpotz and prefer the fulltone's wider sweep over them, although the hotpotz still had a wider range than my boss pw-10 that I tried for a while and hated.

6. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

7. hazel-rah

hazel-rah Supporting Member

It has the film can inductor. My thomas organ crybaby has the stack of dimes. Both wahs are really good, but the vox seems to be a little smoother & have more character...

I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow. Thanks a lot, guys.

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

this one has a linear 200k taper, so there's no real "sweet spot"; the tone changes evenly over the entire range of the pedal. i like to do jimmy page-style slow tone changes during leads rather than shaft-style "wacka-wacka", so i like it in my vox wah.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=362

9. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

For $14 plus shipping, you might just want to try one of these.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CLYDE-WAH-PEDAL-POT-POTENTIOMETER-100K-ICAR-TAPER-NEW_W0QQitemZ120183663377QQihZ002QQcategoryZ41422QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118

I've got this in my V847, and a Hotpotz I in my 80's crybaby.
    Like I said, I could never embrace the Hotpotz II.

In terms of smoothness of transition, I'd have to say the DIYA is the smoothest/widest (transition in the middle), second being the Hotpotz I (moderately smooth, transition in the middle), and then the Hotpotz II (too quick and narrow for me, towards the toe; seems to like short travel). The Hotpotz I has the most high end, with the HPII and DIYA right behind.

I've also used a lifepot when it used to be a Dunlop branded pot that I bought in 95. (hated it, less high end, and quicker transition then HPII, just more towards the middle-heel)

I've never tried the black top or black bear from smallbear.

I've experimented quite a bit in the past few months, with resistor (type as well as value), caps (type), inductors, and pots. In my experience, the pot seems to really characterize the sound and can make or break a wah depending on my foot action.