I need a washer for my Bigsby

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by indytone, Jan 10, 2006.

1. indytone

indytone Member

I'm looking for a replacement washer for my Bigsby. I just got a guitar and it seems someone did some work on it and lost the original one. It's a thin little disc that goes just under the tremolo arm. Anyone know where I can pick one up?

Also, couldn't I just use a plastic washer?

2. mailman

mailman Member

Even if you found the 30-cent item online from a Bigsby supplier, they'd charge you much more just to ship it. So just check out your local hardware/plumbing supply store for a flat thin washer--either fiber or plastic--measuring the same diameter that will comfortably fit under the arm base. Find a thin washer or use 2 if necessary, but you don't want to raise the tremelo arm at an awkward angle from the guitar body. Hope this helps.

3. indytone

indytone Member

Thanks Mailman. I ended up doing just that. I found a wide, thin washer and dabbed some lubricant on it and then put locktite in the threading where the nut screws on. It's been fine so far.

4. jman

jman Member

I was going to post a new thread with a Bigsby question but saw this-what i want to do is raise the bar up a little and wonder if i need the same thing(washer)? I wonder if they make other tensioned springs also,as this bar is less responsive than just about any other bigsby i've tried...

5. mailman

mailman Member

6. jman

jman Member

Cool-thanks!