I need a washer for my Bigsby

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by indytone, Jan 10, 2006.

1. indytone

indytone Member

I'm looking for a replacement washer for my Bigsby. I just got a guitar and it seems someone did some work on it and lost the original one. It's a thin little disc that goes just under the tremolo arm. Anyone know where I can pick one up?

Also, couldn't I just use a plastic washer?

2. mailman

mailman Member

Even if you found the 30-cent item online from a Bigsby supplier, they'd charge you much more just to ship it. So just check out your local hardware/plumbing supply store for a flat thin washer--either fiber or plastic--measuring the same diameter that will comfortably fit under the arm base. Find a thin washer or use 2 if necessary, but you don't want to raise the tremelo arm at an awkward angle from the guitar body. Hope this helps.

3. indytone

indytone Member

Thanks Mailman. I ended up doing just that. I found a wide, thin washer and dabbed some lubricant on it and then put locktite in the threading where the nut screws on. It's been fine so far.

4. jman

jman Supporting Member

I was going to post a new thread with a Bigsby question but saw this-what i want to do is raise the bar up a little and wonder if i need the same thing(washer)? I wonder if they make other tensioned springs also,as this bar is less responsive than just about any other bigsby i've tried...

5. mailman

mailman Member

6. jman

jman Supporting Member

Cool-thanks!