I need advice. (Tim pedal and other things)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by auffredou, Jan 26, 2008.

1. auffredou

auffredou Member

So im in a bit of predicament here. This is about gear in general, not just the pedal but figure ill post it here.

I won a tim pedal on ebay a few weeks back, and shortly after got on the list for one. After hearing that I should expect the new one around april (or even if its later, not too bad of a wait), I was positive that I was going to sell the TIM as soon as I got it, so I could get the extra money back that I had spent on it and get one for 150 in a few months. I figured I could see how much I love it for a day or two, and show some patience and be excited about getting a new one in a few months.

So heres the thing: for me this is one of those pedals where you dont know what youre missing out on without it (I havent stacked ODs practically ever until now), but now that Ive played it stacked with my other OD Im already saying: "can i really live without this for the next few months?" And ive only played it for about an hour all together!

Anyway, as far as the rest of the "gear" I was talking about goes, I was initially planning to get a used american strat I found for 499 once I sold this pedal. I play with a les paul studio, which has a great sound, but a very distinct sound. I wanted to have the option of single coils too.

My point is, I will have both a strat and TIM pedal eventually, but I cant decide what I should do at the moment. Ive got to give something up either way, at least initially, and cant decide if I will be happier with a strat and having to wait for the Tim another few months, or with my Les Paul and keeping the Tim, and having to wait a while to get a strat.

Ive been told that I should be able to get my money back for the Tim, or at least most of it, even if I wait to sell it until April, and the waiting list is shorter at that time. Im not sure if Ill find another American Strat for 499 with the specs I want, but theres always something popping up.

Anyway, in the end Im going to have to play around with it for another day or two and make my own decision, but Im just looking for advice or opinions of others! Thanks in advance, and sorry about the full blown novel post.

2. KazJY

KazJY Member

You already have the Tim coming in a few months.... If the Strat you WANT is hanging on the wall at the music store, you gotta get that while you can - Depending on how specific you want to get with the Strat, you'll have to find that again later then. The Tim is coming no matter what, right?

Tough decision I know (I have a few decisions going right now myself), but April will be here before you know it, and you'll have a new Strat to break in, in the meantime.

Just my opinion - let us know what you do!

3. scotty31

scotty31 Member

give in to strat gas. a clean strat will repay you for your pedal sacrifice, believe me :)
    then you will have a TIM in 3 months :)

4. auffredou

auffredou Member

thanks alot for the thoughts guys. and by the "strat i want", what i mean is it has to have a maple fretboard (it might as well be a complete change from the dark sound of the les paul), and id ideally like to have black or red. theres a black one available for 499, which is the best price ive seen for a used american standard. and yes, that clean strat sound is what im going for, and it will be nice to be able to get used to it for a few months and look forward to sounding even better when the Tim eventually comes... its just tough to give it up in the meantime :/

5. jtindle

jtindle Member

An american strat for $499? I would jump on that without hesitation if its in descent shape. I don't think you will find another strat for that price.

Jeff

6. auffredou

auffredou Member

yeah, i think its in pretty decent shape...

black with maple fretboard, im just worried that color is a little too cliche.

7. scotty31

scotty31 Member

if you want a really good strat and dont mind use, try track down a California strat from 97/98. it is one of the best strats built in the last 2 decades. and they were a bargain too.
    All US made, tex-mex pups are very nice, though not noiseless...im not a noiseless fan anyway.

8. auffredou

auffredou Member

well, i made half the decision. still cant decide whether to pull the trigger on the strat or not though. i think the obvious solution with the pedal is to show some patience and save money by selling it now and waiting for the new one in a few months.

i just cant decide if i want to get a strat or wait and just put money into adding stuff to play the gibson with...