• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I need an amp suggestion please

thegoochie

So I am hoping for some suggestions. The situation is as follows:

I have been playing for about 30 years now. I am no longer playing in a band, though from time to time my old band mates ask me for a stand in. Having said that, portability is not of a concern. I currently have a Vox AC30c2 at home and an ailing Fender HRD that needs some tlc and replacement parts. I play rock, blues, funk, punk/ska-ish music.

I am looking for combo amp (15w or 18w) that has a fat sound with a nice crunch to it. I enjoy the vox, but it is missing a certain "depth" that I need and the fender's cleans are great but the drive channel seems very contrived, almost like a solid state amp and i prefer that valve crunch in my drive channels.

Guitar Center is always a let down and I feel like their staff just wants to sell whatever gets them the most commission. And Music Zoo near me has great boutique stuff but I really dont want to spend $4K on a mid wattage combo.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
Send your HRDlx to Omega for a mod/ tune-up.
This really is a great suggestion.
I would look at the Mesa 5:25 Express +, if you really want a new amp. You should be able to get one used in the Emporium.

pat1929

Actually a Dr z Maz 18 seems to exactly what you are describing, thick and rich, crunches great, nice complex fat cleans, all in a small package - about 1k or so used out there...

thegoochie

Send your HRDlx to Omega for a mod/ tune-up.
I actually emailed them and haven't heard back. Unless I missed the email. I will reach out to hem again.

I have been considering the 5:25 but wasn't sure if it was ideal for me. I am not that familiar with the Dr.Z amps. Will have to look into those.

RCCola

(|@ / \ @ |.)
Gold Supporting Member
Brownface Fender Deluxe
Allen Hot Fudge w/Nuts
Allen Brown Sugar
Tungsten Crema Wheat

Top Bottom