I "Need" an OD Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by denver.p, Oct 21, 2008.

1. denver.p

denver.p Member

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good OD pedal to run into my Crate V30? I really like my clean tone on this amp, but not so much the Overdrive.
    Anyone tried any with this amp? Should I just get a TS or try something else? It seems to take pedals well, with only minor tweeking. Any tips?
    Thanks.

2. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Oh boy, there are 100's of good overdrive pedals out there for you to try and consider.

Consider the Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive. It is well priced, it is true bypass, it has two different voicings, and it is built like a tank. It also sounds very good. It has very good range, and it can go from a nice "clean" booster to some nice raunchy grit.

The Keeley Boss DS-1 is also a very nice overdrive, but it isn't true bypass, and it is more expensive than the CM-2.

For cheaper alternatives:
    Consider the regular Boss SD-1, and/or the DigiTech Bad Monkey. Do not be fooled by the affordability of these pedals. They are very good indeed!

I didn't suggest a TS808 because quite frankly, I think the other pedals offer more for the buck, but if you still want to try one, you should, just so that you find what you like best. If you can't find a TS808, consider the Visual Sound Route 808, which is their interpretation of the TS808, but with more volumne and bass, so in other words, more to work with...

3. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

Zendrive. Extremely versatile, can do low gain boost to slight crunch to TS to more. The real deal

4. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

Direct Drive Low Gain is my new Fav.

Sits alongside a Fulldrive 2 and OCD and they all would work well for a fundamental OD tone. OCD is more classic rock oriented IMHO. But Fulldrive/DDLG are both great canvas OD's. :AOK

5. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Sounds to me like you are looking for a pedal to replace the overdrive channel. So right off hand I would reccomend the Keeley BD2, maybe a Blackstone Appliance Overdrive or OCD. One of these will probably do the trick for you. Check them out, they are all tried and true and are good "stand alone" drives that work well with others.

6. denver.p

denver.p Member

How different is the Keeley to the original? I am currently selling my BD2 as I don't like how it went with my V3112T, so I guess I'm replacing my BD2 in essence.

7. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I have a Lovepedal COT Red which sounds great. Unfortunately I also have several others which means I need to unload something. Try the new Fulltone Robin Trower, COT Red, OCD, BB Preamp. All great stuff man.

8. voetsek

voetsek Member

i love the crate v series! great sound and powerful for the size! i love my throbak OD, i would recomend checking that out, no wait list and well priced

9. akihiro

akihiro Member

Fulltone OCD. Good pedal at a pretty good price.

10. denver.p

denver.p Member

11. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

My favorite's my Lovepedal Eternity followed by the Zendrive. Both are like TS's only way better and don't really sound like TS's, they just behave like them.

12. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

You could ship it to Keeley for the mod. It's like around $65. His mod cleans up the buzzy stuff and makes the pedal very transparent with improved bass response. Works best for a just an added edge(low gain) to your clean sound. His SD-1 covers the mid gain stuff really well. I had both to obtain a psuedo 3 ch set up. I have since moved on to Barbers. How much gain are you looking for, or what gain niche are you shooting for?

13. Diplomat

Diplomat Member

I really enjoy the MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe. It plays nicely with single coils and humbuckers.

:JAM
    Andrew

14. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

For me it turned a pedal that I did not really like into one that has remained on my board. The bass response is much better, the "ice pick" was taken away, the gain range was much more useable over the range instead of just low gain only, the fizz was removed, better clarity, and it sounded much better overall after Keeley modded it. I really think the Keeley BD2 is an all around favorite of a lot of musicians for a guitar OD and I have seen it on a lot of pedalboards, and I have not seen an amp that it would not work with. If you have the BD2 already then just ship it to him. His turnaround is fairly quick too.

Check it out.
    http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=14