• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I need another drive like I need a hole in the head BUT

fenderjapan

World Heavyweight Champion
Silver Supporting Member
I have two pedalboards. My "Big Board" (which I use with my Reeves Custom 50 and 67 Super) has a bunch of drivers on it all with pretty specific purposes... MUFF, MIAB, boost, etc.

I also have a mini board that I use with both my Red Stripe Bandit.

Currently on the board is a tuner, an MXR Script Comp (for both guitar and bass) and a Triangle Big Muff Reissue.

Between the Muff and Channel Two of the Amp I have plenty of high gain.

So what I need is an OD to go on my mini board into the clean channel of my Red Stripe Bandit.

I've tried a few of the usual offenders: TS type circuits, DOD 250 type circuits, cleaner boosts (LPB-1), heavier distortions dialed back (SBAD), MIABs, POT, Rats, and I'm not quite hitting the nail on the head of something that will give me a warm overdrive at reasonable volumes into the clean channel of this amp.

I realize my request is vague.

Some of my parameters:

1) I'd rather not spend more than $100
2) Needs to be MXR sized or smaller (I don't love the tiny tiny pedals but if it sounds good I'll consider it)
3) Preferably not a Tubescreamer variant or the other things I said I tried up there ^^^
4) Needs to sound good into a clean SS amp

So, let's spitball. Throw me some recommendations.

tonedover

Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
spitballing

mxr sugar drive / klone
mxr timmy
odr1 / multiple versions
overrated special - yes a TS, but 500k knob is awesome
hustle drive / ocd

A.Maiah

I get the "warm overdrive at reasonable volumes" with Bluesbreaker type or stacking boosts. If you´ve already tried these and don´t work for you, i´m clueless.
I´m using an OKKO Diablo at 18v (HI on the pedal switch, don´t need to overpower it) at the moment and the sound is beautiful.

tonedover

Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
j rockett rockaway ( the archer with the eq)

it was a REALLY touchy eq, but maybe you would like it

eriwebnerr

For what you would describe I would go Boss Bluesdriver or the mini Mooer clone version of that. The boss has the buffered bypass if you need it but the Mooer has the keeley mod. I actually prefer the stock settling myself. Really good edge of breakup tones, even at low volume and it should pair well with that muff!

fenderjapan

Silver Supporting Member
For what you would describe I would go Boss Bluesdriver or the mini Mooer clone version of that. The boss has the buffered bypass if you need it but the Mooer has the keeley mod. I actually prefer the stock settling myself. Really good edge of breakup tones, even at low volume and it should pair well with that muff!
That's a good thought. Something I could use independently as well as in conjunction with the Big Muff could potentially be nice, although not a requirement.

Gaheba

Are you including the bluesbreaker type in your MIAB's?
If not, Snouse Classic BB. 3 knobs and nails the OG Marshall. MXR size box.
Done. BTW, the original bb circuit doesn't sound the same as the KOT/POT. I personally think the original is a warmer sounding pedal to the KOT. The mids seem to sit in a different place. I have both. I like the KOT but I still prefer the Marshall/Snouse.

The-Kid

Pedal Art: CIOKS/Vboutique/Providence Dealer
Vendor
Check out the mxr Dookie 4sho

Last edited:

Junco Partner

My best shot at good yet affordable warm overdrives into clean amps without touching on what you’ve already tried:

Boss OD-3
TC Mojomojo
EHX Hot Tubes
Joyo Sweet Baby
Caline Pure Sky/Orange Burst
Zvex Distortron in Low gain mode (kinda cheap if you buy used?)

MXR SBCMOD(?) isn’t just another TS, the mods/added controls make it super flexible. Don’t laugh but DOD Carcosa has some great low gain tones with the gain controls way down; and if you can stretch that budget just a tad, DOD Looking Glass is fantastic for warm low gain. Maybe look at Dumble-ish pedals as well, my only experience is with a cheap Chinese clone, but I find it different enough from the other main “families” that it’s worth having.

Tmidiman

Nobels ODR-1. It is not a TS. Try adjusting the Spectrum knob at low gain and if you like what you get. You can find them used for under $100.

Also try a NUX Silver horse. That can be picked up for well under $50. Do not get the gold version.

fenderjapan

Silver Supporting Member
Are you including the bluesbreaker type in your MIAB's?
If not, Snouse Classic BB. 3 knobs and nails the OG Marshall. MXR size box.
Done. BTW, the original bb circuit doesn't sound the same as the KOT/POT. I personally think the original is a warmer sounding pedal to the KOT. The mids seem to sit in a different place. I have both. I like the KOT but I still prefer the Marshall/Snouse.
No, just the KOT/POT. I do like the KOT on my big board, but the POT isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

fenderjapan

Silver Supporting Member
Lots of good suggestions.
Anyone tried both the MXR Sugar Drive and the Double Double?

Tootone

Try the BOSS OD1X.

Gain, and EQ are useable through their entire sweep (from Zero to Max). So you can dial in exactly the right amount of overdrive and EQ you need.

The flavour is most definitely Tweed/Marshall edgy/crunchy type OD. Not smooth/compressed like a TS.

Trending Topics