Which Voodoo Lab Power Supply?

• Pedal Power 2+

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Pedal Power 4x4

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
I have 2 Cioks DC10 power supplies and I think they are great, but I'm looking for another that's less expensive to power my pedals when I go jam with friends.
I was looking at Voodoo Lab:
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+ or Pedal Power 4x4.

Right now, I'll be powering a Rimrock Mythical Overdrive, a Timmy, maybe a Fuzz (Ge), a Digitech Polara Reverb and a delay (which I haven't decided on yet - nothing fancy though) and would like room for more pedals.

Pedal Power 2+
8 completely isolated 9V outputs
Powers PSA, ACA, and Twin BOSS pedals
Powers all Line 6 Stompbox Modelers and ToneCore pedals
Powers 18V pedals via optional cable
Adjustable "Sag" emulates dying battery
Courtesy AC jack on the back panel

Pedal Power 4x4
Four 9V isolated high-current 400mA output sections (2 with 12V option) power Strymon, Eventide,
Line 6 (excludes M9/M13), Boss Twin, TC Electronic Nova, Moog and more
Four 9V isolated 100mA output sections
All outputs compatible with 9V battery operated pedals

The each go for $169.99 and a 15% discount is easy to get this time of year. I'm not sure which one would be better for me - more flexible. What do you think?

estrago1

Truetone CS12 1 Spot Pro is the same price, comes with all of the features you've listed above (minus the courtesy plug), and it gives you plenty of room to expand. You also don't have to worry about plugging your high current pedals into the high current outlets; each outlet is capable powering any kind of current draw, so long as your total current draw doesn't go over the max current output of the supply (3000mA, in this case).

Abram4235

Silver Supporting Member
I voted for pp2 even though I think the proximity noise is unacceptable on both units, it's the worst on the 4x4.

I agree that a truetone would work better than both VL options, also look at the strymon supplies. I dont have any of their pedals but I think their power supplies are second to none.

ToneIsKing55

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve used one-spot, strymon, Effectrode, voodoo labs, cioks, and Yankee power supplies. Can’t ever recommend the VL supplies due to noise issues, and if I ever have to buy another it’ll be another Cioks DC7. I think of how much I’ve invested in my pedals and how little a good PS is in comparison to help get the best out of the investment on my board.

Batch

Silver Supporting Member
I just got a Cioks DC10 because my big board has gotten a lil' bigger... so I bumped my VL PP+ to my smaller board... I've heard of the proximity noise, but never experienced it myself... still works great

Oinkus

Speaking up for the Trutone , just better then the older Voodoolab non- isolated types. Used both the 2+ and 4x4 and a CS 12 is much better for me.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve never had noise problems with the PP2+. I’ve been using a Cioks DC5 on my small board. It also works fine.

Speaking up for the Trutone , just better then the older Voodoolab non- isolated types. Used both the 2+ and 4x4 and a CS 12 is much better for me.
Voodoo Lab has never made a “non-isolated type,” afaik. The original Pedal Power had 8 isolated outputs. Which “older” units are you referring to?

Oinkus

Whatever it is that makes them make noise ,used just about every version including the ones he has listed in the poll. Not an electronics guy but I have built a bunch of boards for people and stopped using them and moved to Truetone. Easily wrong all the time but noise I can hear and trace and figure out how to remove it from any chain.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
Whatever it is that makes them make noise ,used just about every version including the ones he has listed in the poll. Not an electronics guy but I have built a bunch of boards for people and stopped using them and moved to Truetone. Easily wrong all the time but noise I can hear and trace and figure out how to remove it from any chain.
I’ve been using one for years, without issue. Sounds like user error. It’s strange to make an assertion like that with no basis.

cygnusx1

Gig rig. I have a quartermaster with the power supplys. Will never look back. Everything else, pales in comparison.

christhered

Gigrig. Power an isolator with a one spot, and you have 4x135ma isolated outputs. If you need more, you can expand, but if you already have a one spot, the isolator is $70.
Grab-n-go board

mikekim

another +1 for GigRig.. started using them years ago.
no issues.. best power supplies I've ever used

one of life's lessons... "Don't cheap out on power supplies"
Power supplies and audio cables are the two most crucial parts of your pedal board, by saving a couple of bucks on a "cheap" power supply you could be causing yourself issues later on.

Last edited:

Trending Topics