I need help. 2 channel amp with GAIN????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by liberator32, Feb 17, 2009.

1. liberator32

liberator32 Member

I need some advice.

I want a 2 channel head, good cleans and a ripping gain channel. I REALLY like the gain on the VHT deliverance, and have always liked my old Riveras for cleans.

I have been scouring the Internet for ideas. I want a head and 2x12 cab. I play hard rock but enjoy having the room to add some wicked gain. I write stuff that’s usually dropped D / C, stacked chords like HUM, Tool, Incubus, AIC, Chevelle, SG, Deftones etc. Leads I am really into McCready / Cantrell / Thayill techniques.

I don’t want an amp with 75,000 knobs like the VHT sig X. I need two channels, no more, no less.

I want to spend 1500-2k, used is fine. (Prolly an Avatar 2x12 of some sort, maybe contemporary) I would like to get a head and cab for 2k-2.2k total.

I prefer to stay around 1500 for the head, again used is fine.

Ideas? I had a Rivera Suprema55 that I loved but it didn’t have the extra gain I wanted when I wanted it. Knuckleheads sound too buzz to me and I don’t like the 64,230 buttons and midi ********.

Ideas? I’ve been looking at Splawn. Nitro seems cool but so does the Pro Mod. What else is available? I am all ears! (eyes)

Thanks a lot!

Oh yeah, I play a 67 ri V with a JB in the bridge.

Forgive the grammar and typing.

2. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

hmmm a Soldano SLO would be the shnizzle but that could be $2200 min used..
    u need 100w or dosnt matter?
    SOLDANO(minimum features) do a Hot Rod series w/ 2 channels 100 & 50w...i know u want 2 channels but they also have the Decatone that's 3 channels but apparently quite awesome for about $1800 used w/ a depth mod as standard..
    MESA Dual and single Recs would be nice..u could buy a 2 channel 90's dual for roughly $1200
    what about the new MARSHALL JVM 2 channel,ive read some great reviews on them!!!!
    if i was buying a 2 channel amp i would be looking at these companies,great after sale service,been around a long time..u r safe....

AS for cabs...a used Soldano 2x12 w/ the Eminence speakers would match the soldanos no question
    the Vertical or horizontal mesa 2x12's for the recto amp
    Marshall make a 1936 2x12 cab----all these are relatively cheap used in the $350 to $450 range

good luck

3. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Agreed with Joolz... Hot Rod 50+ from Soldano. Nice two channel amp with a ripping gain channel. I owned one and regret ever getting rid of it. I played it with a 2x12 Marshall cab. Very sturdy product.

4. mstre

mstre Member

Marshall JVMs have tons of gain. The 205 or 210 probably have more gain than a mesa single rec and are much easier to dial in

5. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

Diezel all the way. Try the Einstein or for the ultimate clean in a channel switcher, the Herbert. Find one of these used and you're in for a treat.

I'm still pissed I didn't buy a Herbert for $2500 when I had the chance:mad:

6. liberator32

liberator32 Member

Like Soldano, don't like shared EQ... Looking at those marshalls... anyone know if they sound like tweeters powered by cigarette lighters? Newer marshalls seem to be treble city...

7. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

turn the treble down...maybe its a miss match of speakers....when i was a teenager i sold lots of heads thinkng they were crap when it was realy my cab that was the problem(gt75's)....worth a try
    as for the shared EQ...i havnt found that a problem w/ my SLO...but thats me and my tastes of music...i jammed on it tonight with a scorching clean and dirty...very very happy

8. bynt

bynt Member

ZINKY. Blue Velvet. 50 or 25 watt heads. No knobs. Lots of gain. SMOKES through a 2x12.

9. liberator32

liberator32 Member

10. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

For the money, hard to beat a Splawn Nitro for the price. For brutal I looked at the Diezel, Bogner uber, Elmwood M90 but they are more money.

11. ShredHeadJHJ

ShredHeadJHJ Member

I just bought a Soldano Decatone based on reviews & I must say that it got more consistent reviews than ANY amp I've ever seen. I've actually spoke to people who prefer it over the SLO.

Anyways, you're looking to spend NO MORE than $2,200 on a head AND cab, sop lets get back to the issue. Most of the stuff being mentioned will cost well over $2,200 if he buys a head AND cab USED.

For MESA I would get a Rectoverb. I like the cleans & the drive is really thick on those things. Two channels & easy as hell to dial in. For SPLAWN I would look into a Nitro or Pro Mod. If you're planning on playing live you will shine with one of these for the kind of music you're playing. Buying used you can stay within your budget. Hell I could even have god a mint Pro Mod of E-bay for $1,300 but I passed it up for the Decatone. BUT personally I would rather buy a new Splawn because they now come with volume controls in the effects loop so that you can cook the tubes without playing super loud.

12. liberator32

liberator32 Member

I agree. I want to find a used one. I like their tones but all the clips I find are either 80's metal or modern metal. I like a lot of modern metal like Machinehead etc, but I play more chord-oriented stuff. (like stacked power chords- A/D for example, and dissonant chords) I like the Deftones, TooL, Hum, stuff that uses BIG chords with lots of gain, even some 30 seconds to mars (although their mesas almost sound like synths to me)

Good examples of the tones I like would be filter - welcome to the fold, Hum - isle of the cheetah, 30STM - Fallen; Capricorn, Any Cantrell, Deftones - headup, tool - lateralus etc...

I hate doing this because it shows how OCD I really am!

13. fearhk213

fearhk213 Member

I think the Uber, Diezels, and Nitro kill for big chords with lots of gain. My personal favorite is the Uber and the new version supposedly has a better clean channel.

14. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

Hot Rod Devilles have 1 clean channel, 1 dirty (which has 2 gain settings) all foot-switchable. buts its a combo

15. liberator32

liberator32 Member

Yeah I loved the gain on the Uber. Tried one locally and the clean channel was less than desirable. The guy who was selling it told me outright that he was selling it for that reason.

16. Clashcityrocker

Clashcityrocker Member

Try any of the two or three channel Hoffmann products. Great cleans and overdrive for days. www.hoffmannamps.com

17. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Aiken Sabre or a Bogner Shiva.

18. ShredHeadJHJ

ShredHeadJHJ Member

I tried a guy's Uberschall a couple of weeks ago & I didn't like it. It was too saturated & didn't seem to have enough character.

19. liberator32

liberator32 Member

Anyone know of some decent Soldano clips plaing modern rock / metal?

20. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

Badcat Hotcat 30
    Budda Superdrive??