I need help finding the right amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TobyManhattan, Feb 15, 2012.

1. TobyManhattan

TobyManhattan Member

I've been playing an AC30CC2 for about 3 years now and need to move on to another amp. Basically the other guitar player in my band plays the exact same AC30, and we want to vary the tones a little with a different amp. They can get a little too similar sometimes. For other reasons, going back to the Vox just isn't an option. So far I've tried a Hot Rod Deluxe 3 and hated all the drive sounds I got with or without pedals aside from cranking the normal channel to about 5.5 or 6. I found the Drive channel to be thin and digital sounding, and found using a distortion pedal through the clean channel to produce a lifeless sound with bad note definition on chords.

My budget at the very maximum (would have to use credit) is around $1500. I'd prefer to keep it around $1000 but this is something I spend 20-30 hours a week using so I'm willing to spend a little more if I need to.

Here's the criteria:

The amp has to have good overdrive at a reasonable volume. By reasonable I mean our practice volume which is basically gigging volume in small clubs. Think AC30CC2 or C2 with the master at 1/4 and the top boost a little over half. I'm definitely not playing metal or anything high gain either so I don't need that much drive.

It needs to have good note definition when playing chords. I don't even know if that's the right term, it was just a big problem I had when playing the Hot Rod Deluxe 3 compared to the AC30. I play a lot of barre chords if that helps.

I need it to be either a 2x12 (didn't like using a 1x12) or if it's a head, the head be inexpensive enough to be able to afford a decent 2x12 cab since I don't own any cabs.

I'd like to avoid Fender amps. I've had 2 now and I didn't get along with either of them, although I'm sure I would if we played gigs where I could crank it.

I'd love to be able to buy used, but I live in Canada (hour from Toronto) and for some reason I rarely see any nice used amps for sale. So feel free to throw suggestions from small builders, but odds are I won't be able to find it and shipping/customs on amps seems to add a lot to the price.

I think that's pretty much it. Any help is really appreciated - I have a gig coming up on March 2nd that's huge for us, around 500+ people, so I'm getting kind of freaked out about not having an amp I like.

edit - If you want to hear our sound you can hear it here -
    I'm playing the gold LP and mostly rhythm here. I also usually use a semi hollow with P94s but had to play the backup that night, so the sound is usually a bit thicker.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

3. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    Two recomendations:
    1. Used Marshall tube amp
    2. Marshall JMD-1 amp.

I would not buy anything until you alt least auditioned something first, if that is at all possible.

If you get a Marshall, you have the option of going for a head+cab or combo.

I would look at the used section of Guitar Center nation-wide. It is huge, and if you know the price range, which will take at least going through the used amps section and comparing it to say Ebay, or other music stores offering similar gear, you will find a deal that agrees with your budget.

If you could spend just a bit more, think of a Bolt tube amp head.

Good hunting. :aok

4. TobyManhattan

TobyManhattan Member

I've looked into the Rebel 30 but never actually played one.

What are your thoughts on the drive channel for the Rebel 30? Is there anything you don't like about it?

I've read the reviews on sites like musicians friend but never really trust those anymore. I barely trust any site but this one. Do you think I'd be happy with the OD sounds on it if I hate the ones I'm getting from my Hot Rod Deluxe?

Thanks!

5. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

The drive tones on the Rebel 30 are light years above the HRDs. Very british even with the 6v6s dimed. I think the cleans are just as good as the HRDs too.

6. TobyManhattan

TobyManhattan Member

Cool! Luckily it doesn't seem that much more expensive than the HRDlx and the shop in town said I can keep exchanging amps until I find the one I like (as long as I pay the difference, which will probably just be up and up).

Feel free to keep making suggestions in case the Rebel 30 doesn't work out!

Thanks again.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

There is no comparison between the Egnater and the Fender. I love the OD on the Egnaters. I won't say it sounds just like a Marshall, but it has the same great growl Marshalls are known for.