I need help picking a Reverb pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joesnewmatch, May 29, 2015.

1. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food Supporting Member

I know, I know, everyone has an opinion, but I'm asking and genuinely curious what people in my situation have tried in the REVERB department -- what works, what doesn't, what was too much, and what turned out to be just right.

Context is everything, so let me tell you what I play and what gear I use (something most posters forget about)... I play blues and classic rock, as well as alternative/nu-wave -- 80's/early 90's.

My main guitars are a strat/tele (most of the time), semi-hollowbody (jazzier stuff), SG (rock/dirty blues), and Jazzmaster (weirder moodier stuff), run through a Princeton reverb, sometimes a swart atomic jr. The PR's reverb is just okay and I only like it below 3 for some wetness and depth. Above that and it's just not my sound. Likewise, I keep the Swart's wacky reverb fairly low as well. I also like a touch of delay and go back and forth between an El Capistan and Alter Ego (2290/DMM/slapback) to do the song justice or fill-out the sound and depth and moodiness.

Recently, I bought a Yamaha THR10C and fell in love with the Hall Reverb setting. I suddently realized after years and years of using spring reverb, that this was a missing, essential ingredient that I want from my main rig when playing with others.

I'm definitely a Strymon fan and have the el Cap and Mobius. I use most of the Mobius settings and put the big box to good use, as opposed to just one or two sounds that could be covered by smaller pedals. I have never had a chance to play the Blue Sky or Big Sky, but think they might be good choices for me. I've read every thread out there and most people seem to think that the Big is a vast improvement on the Blue. My only reservation on the Big is not knowing if I would just use a few settings and not need everything else.

For playing blues and rock stuff anything would probably work, but when I want to get into nu-wave mode and play mostly with delays, modulation, and reverb, what would be the best choice? I'm not playing a church service and trying to bring down the angels, but I do dig the 4AD and 80's processed sounds. In another life, I probably would have played synthesizers. LOL

So what do you think would work best for me? A Styrmon Big or Blue, a wet, a HOF, a trinity, something completely different? Thanks in advance!

2. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

It's reverb week here at TGP. :banana

Look forward to the recommendations and
    sharing of personal experience that will commence
    here shortly. :aok

3. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

Electro Harmonix Cathedral is a great underated pedal in my opinion...if u dont need a shimmer setting that would be a great option

willc68 and Sean413 like this.
  4. tnjazz

tnjazz Supporting Member

There you go. Red Panda Context. :D

joesnewmatch and JerEvil like this.
  5. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

But if your money is long enough I would get a Big Sky...also look into de digitech offerings...Polara and Supernatural

joesnewmatch likes this.
  6. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

If you want a hall setting, I really like the Digitech offerings, even if I'm a spring guy.

7. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

I agree. The plate and hall settings on the Context are fantastic. Can do subtle to spacey.

8. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

Yup. Just got mine in yesterday. Only got about 20 minutes with it but MAN it's awesome.

9. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

Before you buy one you should try out an EQD Ghost Echo... there's nothing quite like it.

10. jpervin

jpervin Member

I could live on the Cathedral setting of my Context and never get tired of it!

[​IMG]

11. sodapopinski

sodapopinski Member

Take a look at Mr. Black Eterna or Supermoon. Amazing pedals.

12. Geetar_Will

Geetar_Will Supporting Member

Reverb is touchy subject here on TGP. I made a poll once including all the units I was interested in (max of 10 in poll) and got flamed for titling my thread "Best Reverb" and not including <insert random gear page member's name here> favorite. That said...

I ended up getting a Strymon Blue Sky and it's been excellent. It gives you two settings to toggle, sounds great (sound people and musicians alike tell me how much they dig it) and is just tweakable enough (for me at least). I love running a delay in front of it and I haven't found fuzz/drive setting it didn't play well with. If you dive in with that first and decide you want more, the resale value is a plus on the move on up to the Big Sky (I can't justify needing all that).

Go try them out if you can!

joesnewmatch likes this.
  13. Sean413

Sean413 Member

Cathedral is awesome for the hall settings...I Have that and a bigsky... For normal style reverb the cathedral is awesome (it takes a while to get used to dailing in the right sounds). I actually prefer it to the bs hall setting. How ever the wood floor preset on the bigsky is also amazing!!! It also has great slap back sounds too... It's a tough one.

joesnewmatch likes this.
  14. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

The Slate v2 with EXP pedal from Neunaber is a great option if you need a good number of presets (up to 8) that go everywhere from touch of verb to cathedral, with or without shimmer, or even slapback delay.

Gotta say, though, my favorite sounding reverb is still the Talisman. Less flexible for the soundscape stuff IMO (some will disagree), but overall the best sounding reverb to my ears (totally subjective, I know).

Good luck with your search!

15. baklavaa

baklavaa Member

I LOVE my big sky, it's awesome, it makes the noises that I hear in my head. However, I am primarily a P&W player, so take my word with a grain of salt.

I also have a tc electronic hall of fame, and I would reccommend that as a great first step. you can make your own tone prints too, so you can actually figure out what kind of reverb sound you want, and what you need to be able to tweak.
    (I would say just from what I have heard on youtube and forums during my research on the big sky that the big sky >> than the blue if you don't want the blue's plate shimmer).
    From the sound of things, might you want to check out the flint? it's got a sweet 80's reverb on it...

16. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I'd go for a Big Sky, and never have to buy another reverb pedal again.

17. rschultz13

rschultz13 Supporting Member

Recently got a blueSky, love it, LOVE IT, LOVE IT. Basically 2 reverbs with the Fav switch. HoF is great for the money, and can't go wrong as a first step.

18. bdonnelly

bdonnelly Supporting Member

I picked up the digitech Polara a few months back and it's a keeper.

19. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Digitech Hardwire Reverb. Very nice

20. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

My favorite is still the EBS Dynaverb. It's so wide and spacious sounding. Sounds real and is very dynamic. I'm not a fan of the Strymon verbs at all. Had the Flint and have used a bunch of Big Sky patches in the studio and I always come back to the Dynaverb. LASD puts them on many of their boards for a reason :)