I need help with finding a new wah

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by junior40, Jan 11, 2008.

1. junior40

junior40 Member

Hello everybody, my name is JR, and i am new here to the gear page, this is my first post here...from what i have seen this looks like a very good forum with a lot of good information. I have been playing guitar for about 10 years and i play a 62 and a 76 american strat. I am in the market for a new wah pedal, i currently have a morley bad horsie 2 steve vai wah pedal, i used to have a crybaby 95q, but i'm using the morley right now...i really love the frusciante/hendrix wah tone a lot so thats the sound i'm looking for, i feel like the morley isnt doing it for me. my dirt pedals are a big muff, ds-2, and a fulltone ocd going into a marshall vintage modern half stack....i hear that fulltone, buddah, and vox pedals are really good. i was wondering what you guys thought which wah is good for the tone i want to get? once again thanks guys and hopefully i can get a chance to know people here...:D

2. Doodles

Doodles Member

Ther's alot more out there than just your average mass produced wahs. Wahs that are handmade by people that use high quality components. Yeah they may cost a little more. Okay in some instances alot more but that's the way you get the tone you're after. Here's some places you should check out.
    Area 51 http://area51tubeaudiodesigns.com/M...ode=001&Product_Code=wah&Category_Code=cat001

Wilson Effects http://www.wilsoneffects.com/

Rmc http://www.realmccoycustom.com/

There's also alot of places that do wah mods to tweak out your current one. I myself own 2 of the wilson effects wahs and have to say they are some of the best I have played. Area 51 and Teese are also held in high regard but I've never owned on so I'll let someone else take over from here. Good luck!!!

3. Sunstone Recordings

Sunstone Recordings Supporting Member

you could spring for a wh10 for frusciante wah... but its 'spensive for sure. I've heard that the RMC Wizard Wah is a good fru wah as his wah is pretty modern sounding. Though for hendrix it would be the RMC picture wah, but I think the wiz might be a good start. I also modded my 90s vox v487 and it sounded great!

4. fruvai

fruvai Member

5. duckbunny

duckbunny Supporting Member

Welcome!
    I have a Teese Picture Wah and a Vox 848.
    Both great, but different. For the vocal-y, vowel-y type sounds, I actually like the Vox better, forget that it's almost half the price!

-db

6. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

I recommend the Teese Picture Wah or the Area 51 Wah. Either of those would get you the Hendrix/Frusciante tone you want. If budget is an issue, check out the Dunlop Crybaby Classic. It's pretty good for the price.

7. junior40

junior40 Member

thanks guys for the advice, i was watching that fulltone video and i really like that tone i'm going to have to try them out...i live way down in south jersey and there arent too many guitar stores down here, and they only sell stuff like boss and ehx and mxr...does anybody know where in jersey i could find a good store that sells products like vox and fulltone or teese....i was thinking of trying the wh-10 as well but it seems they are hard to find and dont make them anymore, and i dont want to fully get what frusciante has but it would be nice, plus with all the moog on his board :drool

8. JRBain

JRBain Member

Yes, the WH-10 might be the best choice, but they're quite hard to come by. Regarding the Wizard wah (I have one), I'd say that it depends on what era you like. For BSSM era, I'd recommend an RMC Picture wah (He uses one now). I think the Wizard wah would sound excellent, as it is an excellent pedal, but I think you may find it too wide, and possibly too smooth, as my experience tells me that he uses quite a lot of treble. It's also not the best choice for cleans, in my opinion, as it's very smooth and wide, and has a smooth top end, so it doesn't cut like a more traditional wah does. Ultimately though, I think you'd be happy to some extent whichever you buy - You really can't go wrong with RMC wahs, if my experience with the Wizard, and that of other people on here with other models. You might also try an Area 51 - They're well thought of on here.

9. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

Keep an eye on the emporium. Lots of gear gets bought/sold/traded and quite successfully I might add. I have a Teese Picture Wah with the fuzz friendly circuit that I am considering parting with (haven't gotten as far as to put it up on the emporium yet as I'm still having the internal debate over this). With some recent pedal additions, it has been bumped off the board and sits on the floor to the right. Great wah though!

10. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

Check out the Wilson Effects Rippah Q-Wah (he has sound clips on his website).

11. guitarwrench

guitarwrench Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Wilson effects. Kevin makes great stuff for sure.

12. IRG

IRG Member

How much? I am new here, but not on HC (same name). PM me if you want.

13. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

The Budda does it all for me....Usable sweep throughout. Works great with HB's and SC's. Works well with a variety of fuzzes too.