I need help with my Lightning Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bertramladner, May 6, 2015.

1. bertramladner

bertramladner Supporting Member

I have a Matchless Lightning Reverb that just stopped working. It wouldn’t turn on so I put in a new fuse. It then turned on and then blew the new fuse. I put in another fuse and it happened again.

The problem probably came from me using it with a power strip. I plugged the amp into the “Main” input, and the pedal board into the “switched” input on the power strip. The goal was to have my pedal board power up when I turned on my amp. I also used the power switch on the power strip to turn the amp on and off which I feel may have been the issue.

I don’t know about amps, but I believe the issue is with the power transformer. I am worried that I damaged it.

Can anyone tell me what I should do?

Thanks,

Bert

2. reade

reade Member

I had a similar problem with a Bassman. It was the rectifier tube. I'd start there and move on to the power tubes.

3. bertramladner

Thanks for the advice. I will try that, I was worried it was the transformer but I know nothing about amps so....

4. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Not likely the transformer from what you said, but switching your amp on and off with a power strip is a terrible idea. You need to use the power switch on the amp, and maybe the standby switch as well if the Lightning has one.

Agree that it's likely the rectifier, or power tubes, but probably the rectifier.

5. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

Just curious how using the power strip switch would be any different than the amp's switch? It's just a toggle that allows the current to pass through?

I realize the Lightning doesn't have a standby so is the switch wired differently?

6. lgehrig4

OP, check all the tubes before you get worried. Most likely a short causing the fuse to blow.

7. bertramladner

Is there a way to check the tubes by looking at them? This is my first go at dealing with amps.
    I figured I’d just buy a new Rectifier tube and hope that works, if not then new power tubes…

8. andersmv

andersmv Member

You can check to see if the EL84s are microphonic. Get something like a pencil eraser and tap on both of them. If you don't hear anything, change the rectifier tube. I would first pull the rectifier out and see if any of the pins are broken or not going in correctly.

9. bertramladner

I can't figure out how to take out the rectifier tube. It has a metal brace around it and I'v loosened the side screw, but it wont budge.

10. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Agree with the rec tube diagnosis being the likely issue. You'll just have to work it around some and pull it out. I've had a few Matchless and Dr Z amps that blew fuses due to the rec tube.

11. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

I've had a few amps do this due to a blown rectifier tube or a blown power tube. It's no biggie. If it keeps happening after you swap the rectifier tube, then swap the power tubes. One or the other should be the cause.

12. lgehrig4

Based on your questions my advice would be to take it to a tech. You paid a lot of the amp so another $100 is nothing to have it fixed right.

13. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I had a Dr.Z that blew fuses, it was a bad rectifier. Also had a bad fuse, I know it can't happen, but believe me it can.

14. Seektone

Seektone Member

My experience would indicate that the Rectifier tube is the problem