I need help with pot dating

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by japhy, Jul 20, 2008.

1. japhy

japhy Member

I used the search function and couldn't find what i was looking for .

I have a guitar that was made in the 80's , with a CTS pot and the #s read 8446 4788 .

Any help will be appriciated , and thanks .

2. David Collins

David Collins Member

Unless there's a "137" stamped somewhere before the "8446" (some manufacturers pre-stamp the manufacturer code, can be faint), then it's not an EIA code you're looking at. Is that every single character on the pot casing that you've listed?

3. japhy

japhy Member

Well , the pot is stamped CTS . Then , under some solder there seems to be an S F? N? then the 8(?)446 4788 . I dont have the guitar here now , but I can check tomorrow and maybe try to get a pic

4. David Collins

David Collins Member

EIA markings are are not mandatory, and were never fully standardized. Those numbers sound like a familiar format, and it's possible that CTS dropped their "137" manufacturer code at that time in favor of simply "CTS". If you know the guitar is from the 80's anyway, it may be reasonable to assume that it's 1984 / 48th week (though I'm not certain here). CTS pots made for Gibson for example, dropped the standard EIA code some time ago (I don't recall what dates or era off the top of my head) and were instead marked with Gibson's part number. If CTS was making parts for a particular manufacturer, they may have simply stamped whatever number system the purchaser requested.

5. japhy

japhy Member

That seems reasonable . The guitar is a Schecter Strat type , and I took those numbers from the volume pot . The guitar has a master tone pot which is a push-pull type to tap the coils . That pot only reads 470k.

6. Frenster

Frenster Put your Rock Face on!

Pot and I stopped dating years ago.