I need help.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by scott757, May 11, 2008.

1. scott757

scott757 Supporting Member

I love the way Strats look. But I have played SG's so long that I have a really hard time playing single coils and thinking they don't sound unusably thin. Can you give me encouragement on the purchase of a strat? I need help.

2. Miles

Miles Member

Put humbuckers in a strat and away you go.

I used to be in the same boat as you, but strats and teles are more comfortable since the neck isn't always falling to the ground like SGs. Both my SGs are sold and I now play a pair of telecasters.

I have a lil '59 in my tele and it sounds like an SG w/ some tele twang.

3. scott757

I thought about that (I totally admit that what I am about to say is very very trite and picky) but I love the look of the single coils. What I need is convincing that it's not going to be too thin sounding.

4. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Either you can dig a strat for what it is or you don't really need one. They can and do sound thin. Sure you can beef them up but then it's not really a traditional strat, in sound or looks anymore.

5. sinner

sinner Member

Different guitar, take time to adjust to it, the feel and the sound. There's a lot to explore to the Strat's range, both clean and driven. You learn to use your amp differently too, and pedals when wanted.

A SG AND a Strat can be a beautiful thing!

6. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

You might try installing a blender pot that will let you blend the neck and bridge pups. I have one on a couple of strats and it really fattens the tone up. You have to tweak your amps and pedals to get something that will sound as fat as the buckers. Take some time and play around with it. No- the guitar silly! ;)

7. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I had this problem, boutght a Strat, couldn't cope wiht how thin it sounded, sold it.
    I'm knda looking at a nice ESP Horizon which has coil-tapped SD's in it and a FR bridge. I'm thinkking it will give me single coil tones, but I can bail back to humbuckers any time I ilke, plus a tuning stable trem.

8. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

The American Deluxe Strat is a lotta bang for the buck. The pickups are noiseless and deliver some good strat tone. There is also an "S1" switch concentric with the volume pot that will give you some fatter tones out of all five pickup selections. I have one and enjoy it quite a bit. Good luck.

9. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Yes, you do. :D

10. Framus

Framus Member

:cool: I love my SG for the neck,not the pickups.
    If I could put the single coils out of my Strat into the SG and get the same exact tone I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    The raw bite of single coils just can't be duplicated with Humbuckers.

Buy a Strat and just get it over with...then you'll own both.

;);)

11. scott757

Ok...this isn't so bad. I'm breathing a little better. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress.

12. slegros

slegros Member

Or try an HSS strat you get the bridge humbucker and also the neck single coil, nice setup!

13. rob2001

rob2001 Member

My brother is a builder and he built a Mahogany SG but with a strat type pickgaurd and 3 handwound singles. It was an incredible sounding guitar. I almost bought it but it now belongs to some dude in Texas.

14. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

If you want to try and bond with a Strat but are used to the humbucker thing I would have a tech wire your bridge pickup to one of the tone controls.
    Have it set up whereby the bridge is on its own tone control that only effects the bridge pickup when on by itself.
    This will tame the top end of the pickup. Then use a great gain pedal, or boost pedal to replace some of the output and enjoy the tonal exploration of having that tone knob on the bridge pickup.
    You will be able to get a variety of sounds that you can't capture with your SG and you will find that the two will compliment each other on the same gig.

15. strat6866

strat6866 Member

+1
    Although I'm not a big fan of the new American deluxes, I did own one and it is probably the guitar for you. Can get decent strat tones plus HBish tones.

16. Analog Kid

Analog Kid Supporting Member

I was in a similar situation to the OP, I've only played HH or HSH (PRS, Ibanez, Gibson, Tele Thinline) guitars in the past and wanted to get something with the clarity and bite of single-coils, but slightly thicker. The SCN pickups in the middle and neck of the Dlx give me exactly what I was after. The neck p/u was especially important to me since I go there a lot for solos, and it was exactly what I am after. You can thicken the neck p/u even further with the S-1 switch engaged, but its pretty good even without it.

I'll say this though, I think the Am Dlx with the HSS config could be a gateway Strat for me. I can definitely see myself pairing it up with a more traditional SSS Strat for certain things, which is something I didn't think I would have said before all this. So, I can see why the traditional Strat guys don't care for the Am Dlx, but from my angle it turned out to be the perfect Strat for me.

17. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Excellent advise. I have 2 strats and old '73 w/Duncans and a newer 48th st. strat with Tex mex that both have a humbucker in the bridge wired for separate tone control for the humbucker and allows tonal versatility. The 73' also has a 3 way coil tap for the HB. I also use Gibsons, PRS and regular strats & teles, but the modified strats have more overall versatility.

18. scott757

I'm borrowing a friends. I get to try the tone with the band, without the hurt on the wallet.