I need inspiration. I need new music. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by DaveSemach, Feb 12, 2012.

1. DaveSemach

DaveSemach Member

Hey guys,
    I was wondering if we could throw out some names of people whose playing inspires you... I'm in need of some new music. I'm looking for someone that plays "out of the Box". Listening to someone play pentatonic blues doesn't thrill me much anymore (the Clapton school). And I'm not really looking for shredders either (any G3 players). Just someone that you enjoy that inspires you. I'll tell you more about what I'm looking for, but I was hoping that we could all just give a name or two that we really enjoy....

What I'm looking for. Funk or soulful influence is a plus. Someone that uses interesting/advanced chords. I don't dislike pentatonic, I just don't want hear it all the time.

We all know the big names. Is there anyone that you enjoy listening to, that you don't think most people know about??

Acoustic OR Electric guitar players !!

Thanks
    Dave

2. DaveSemach

DaveSemach Member

I'll start.
    The guys name is Mark Lettieri.
    According to his website, he plays around the Dallas, TX area.
    I saw him demo-ing Rockett pedals on YouTube and wanted to hear more. So far, I've found an old group of his called "Soulever Lift" http://www.myspace.com/souleverliftmusic and apparently he released an instrumental album entitled "Knows".

3. Dave

Dave Member

4. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

This is the guy I am most recently inspired by. Amit Chatterjee. Plays for Joe Zawinul and also does his own stuff. I think he is incredible. Apparently he also plays sitar and tabla, so those influences inform his guitar playing, but he is a badass on guitar. I was messing around on this tune a bit, but couldn't keep up as he is spinning out those lines in 16th notes around 146 bpm.

I will probably end up trying to transcribe some of this solo and do some analysis of what modes or key centers he is playing around (if possible). If I make any progress I will post it here.

5. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

There are a whole bunch of "pentatonic" blues players that sound nothing like the "Clapton school"
    All the west coast players like Hollywood Fats, Kid Ramos, Junior Watson, and Rick Holmstrom.

6. Elektrik_SIxx

Elektrik_SIxx Member

This is what you need!

7. Jeremy_Green

Jeremy_Green Member

Oz Noy
    Wayne Krantz (Krantz, Carlock, Lefebvre)
    Scott Henderson (get "Tore down house" or "well to the bone" albums)
    Uzeb - Noisy Nights
    John Scofield - Loud Jazz or for a more laid back hang feel A-Go-Go

8. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Listen to some music that doesn't have guitar:
    The first Weather Report album
    Bartok's 5th Quartet
    Stravinsky's major orchestral pieces

9. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

10. randombastage

randombastage Member

Guthrie Govan is usually thinks a few steps outside the box. Actually I don't think there is a box that ever held his interest.

11. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Ok, John Scofield and Wayne Krantz are sort of big names, but if you haven't heard of them, they're worth checking out - funky, soulful, not slaves to pentatonic, sophisticated harmony, etc.

Fareed Haque is another guitarist that fits that category - you'd probably like his work with the band Garaj Mahal - they'e kind of Weather Report-like.

Of course, if you're willing to not listen to guitar all the time, you could go old school and check out Weather Report itself. The Black Market and Heavy Weather albums are classics. I also enjoy their early albums, but they might not have enough funk for your taste.

Also, probably, "soul jazz" (Eddie Harris, Les McCann, Gene Harris, Jack McDuff, Horace Silver, etc.) might be right up your alley, as Scofield, Krantz, etc. clearly studied the work of those older gents.

12. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Shane Theriot. Check out any of his three solo albums

Wayne Krantz. Don't know how to classify this guy other than to say his music grooves its ass off and is about as far from blues scale wanking as possible. lots of cool harmonic fragments I guess you could call chords. What a unique player.

Oz Noy. Ditto

Avi Bortnik is a Funky Mofo. Check out scofields a go go album to hear Avi on stunt funk rhythm guitar.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  13. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

If you want familiar songs but done in a different but listenable way this is a great and inspiring album:

14. Cheeseisbestyes

Cheeseisbestyes Member

You can't go wrong with Allen Hinds. His tone, and feel, and slide playing is some of the best out there.

[edit] for some reason the video below isn't showing, so here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BqYBPs-oCo

15. suckamc

suckamc Member

Nice. Mark is a good friend of mine. Great player.

16. sabby

sabby Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  17. AndyNOLA

AndyNOLA Member

18. AndyNOLA

AndyNOLA Member

Drop D tuning.....