I need the best, silent looper: Boomerang 3/pigtronix infinity or Timeline.

Sir Douglas T

Silver Supporting Member
Hi Guys,
I have a Timeline and really Love the looper, but I want a loop pedal seperate from my delay that is easy to use , dead quiet and extremely high quality playback. Any ideas? Thanks

BluesHarp

I have the timeline and the rang.. the looper in the TL is great but it only does the one 30 second thing. Its just short of doing one complete verse/chorus to solo over most times. The rang has ultimate flexibility and sound quality.. its made for looping so of course its better. I have it in the emporium but i backed out of selling it for now..

sharks

The boomerang is absolutely quiet and maintains the highest level of audio fidelity. I swear it actually makes everything sound better if that's possible. And it is dead simple to use. You can't go wrong with the rang III if you need a looper

Sir Douglas T

Silver Supporting Member
I play solo in church gigs on the weekends. I play only electric and am currently playing thru a Strymon Timeline. The problem is even though the tone is great, the timing has to be so spot on when I step on the pedal and I'm limited to one loop. I also don't care for my delay to be tied into my loop as I'm a set it and forget it kind of player. i find the start and stop function on the Timeline to be a little unforgiving. Otherwise a brilliant delay.

jason41224

in my experience no matter what looping you use you have to be spot on with timing. that's why it's so hard to use in a band situation and most people either do it by themselves (in a solo/ambient outfit) or they use backing tracks in a band situation.

that said, the boomerangs the best one out there.

elron hoover

Boomerang III. You won't find more transparency or better SQ in any other looper. I also use it as sort of a "tech tool" to check the quality of the buffers of my other pedals, so I don't have to rely on my own memory to check how they affect the overall sound quality of my rig in and out of the path. The III is dead silent, so if a pedal is making any audible difference in my sound, I can hear the difference between the 2 loops (one with and one without the pedal).

JackStraw12

Silver Supporting Member
in my experience no matter what looping you use you have to be spot on with timing. that's why it's so hard to use in a band situation and most people either do it by themselves (in a solo/ambient outfit) or they use backing tracks in a band situation.

I do agree about the timing aspect of looping, and I had the Boomerang + for several years and it's footswitches were easy to activate and it was simple to use live.

I haven't tried the "Rang III but for live use the + was great, but I wouldn't call it the best looper out there. There are other loopers out there that save loops, auto-quantize, slow down w/o pitch shifting, and longer loop times (if that matters.)

ERGExplorer

If you're working with pre-recorded loops, there are better loopers out there.

But for live work, including immediately being able to play the loop you just laid down, the Boomerang III is tops.

wrightdude

I really like the Rang III for looping accuracy... I find the short throw on the switches make it very accuarate to tap-in tap-out and consistently get a tight loop...

Also, if running mono, the second output is a loop monitor you can send to your drummer... have had good luck w/it live...

kevinlane

Looperlative LP1 is a top notch looper.
Elektron Octatrack just updated their sampler with a looper.

Both are not cheap, over $1000.

Probably overkill for most.

Wow, those are something. My head hurt just watching the video on setting the Octatrack up for looping.
Thanks for pointing those out.

I think I'm sticking with my Rang III. Short throw buttons and visual feedback right below me (I got rid of my Oberheim because of that)

First experience with the 'Rang III.... not too bad of a learning curve. It can do a lot more than I know how to yet, but for basic looping, it's pretty straight forward with a lot of cool features.

I had no idea how small it really was - that blows me away. I knew it was smaller than the +, but the size blew me away.

Sound quality is awesome with it.

overunderdrive

If timing is an issue, you should check out the Boss stuff.

Not really sure about the audio quality--I'm sure it's not up to the standard of the Strymon--but the RC-50 has a quantize function, as well as some backing beats, built in.

I haven't tried the newer Boss stuff--or the lower-end Boss units--but the quantize function on the RC-50 might be worth the tradeoff for slightly reduced audio quality.

You can find a used RD-50 for under $300

propower

I love the Rang III BUT !!!!!
1) Switches are very easy to hit two at once. I have had the unit go into some unknown state after doing this that you have to restart to fix.
1a) Switches are very flat to the unit and also easy to stomp on and not hit at all -- very little if any tactile feel when you hit a switch!
2) LEDs-- when recording=Red, when playing back=RED, when overdubbing=RED. Almost impossible to look at the pedal and tell the state it is in.
3) Overdubs, unless you are in one specific mode and only have one loop going overdubbing is two pedal strokes (that are most likely NOT next to each other). And there will be very little indication which loop is overdubbing (remember all loops that are on just have a RED LED!!) -- one yellow led elsewhere on the unit will blink slowly instead of fast.
4) Easy????? Easy is leaving my foot in one place and hitting once for rec, once for play and again for overdub. HAving to very accurately position my foot on two pedals in sequence to do this is not my definition of easy.
5) All stop pedal works well if you can spare the "bonus" pedal for it. All start has noticeable delay so forget having yur loops stop for two bars and coming back in when you tap start.

No matter how often I practice with this pedal I have all of these issues live with the rang III. Been using it for two years.
Sound quality wise -- perfect
Control loop volume with external pedal (the reason I own it) -- perfect

I think often of taking two of the loop pedals out so it would be a bulletproof one loop looper. If the M9 were packaged as a lightweight looper of the same size I would get it.

Modulator

Wow, those are something. My head hurt just watching the video on setting the Octatrack up for looping.
Thanks for pointing those out.

I think I'm sticking with my Rang III. Short throw buttons and visual feedback right below me (I got rid of my Oberheim because of that)

I have the Octatrack, but don't have a midi footpedal, so I use it more like piece of studio gear. Might have to give in to a macmillan softstep since I want something no bigger than the footpedal for my Echoplex. Which is my main guitar looper. I love it, timing is solid, and easy to use. I just wish it were stereo, or at least had much longer loop memory. Had a lot of memory for when it came out, but I think nowadays, all cel phones have more memory. :bonk

I had the Akai looper/delay for a bit, hated it as a looper. Timing wasn't as easy as the Echoplex. I wish the Echoplex had visual feedback on the footpedal, no way to tell which buttons are enabled w/o looking at the front panel.

I've seen some amazing looping done with Ableton Live and a midi footpedal, but that could be opening a whole new bag of worms.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom