I need the right overdrive for my amp (True Bypass Boss SD-1?)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Arcy_D, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Arcy_D

Arcy_D Member

Hey,

I have a Soldano amplifier, which has a high-gain preamp already in it. I'd like to add an overdrive pedal, just to give me slightly more "pushed" variations of each of my three channels (clean, crunch, lead). Obviously, I don't need a "distortion" pedal-style "overdrive", but something more along the lines of a clean boost, but with SOME gain for added harmonics etc.

So, yeah, an overdrive. I borrowed my friend's TS808 (the green one, whichever the model # is), and his Boss SD-1. I thought the SD-1 sounded really amazing with this amp. This one was stock btw. I used it mainly as a clean boost but dialed in a little extra gain which made for insane harmonics.

So... I'd just get one of those, but I have to have true bypass (and audiophile grade componenets wouldn't hurt either). The Keeley SD-1 isn't true bypass. So... can someone recommend something that will give me the SD-1 sound but is true-bypass and higher quality than the stock one? Also I understand the stock ones suck away bass (some people say this makes it "tighter" which i figure is not completely right)... so one that doesn't do the bass-sucking would be nice as well.

Any help is very much appreciated, thanks.

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'd say take a look at the Catalinbread super chile picoso for a sound that would blow your mind, and would push your amp beautifully.

www.catalinbread.com

3. Franklin

Franklin Member

If you like that, and need true bypass, definately check out Analog Man's Silver Modded Maxon OD9. Suburb, blows the SD1 away. I have one of his silver modded SD1's and love it, but it is not true bypass.

4. Arcy_D

Arcy_D Member

Hey dude, isn't the OD9 a tubescreamer though? Symmetrical clipping vs. the asymmetrical clipping in the SD-1? Cause when I played with my friend's stock TS and SD-1, I liked the SD-1 a lot better (not trying to argue about which is objectively better, just saying with my setup the SD-1 worked better for me).

The SD-1 gave me crazy harmonic feedback on each note I held out, real controllable stuff, I loved it. But I can't deal with something that isn't true-bypass though, and I'd prefer not to have to get into loopers and stuff.

5. Franklin

Franklin Member

You are absolutely right, the onlyk difference between an SD1 and a TS is the clipping. I too prefer the asymmetical clipping, that's why I have the SD1. I have two on my board actually, that and the boss DD3 are the only non true bypass pedals I have. I live with it, but also prefer true bypass.

6. Arcy_D

Arcy_D Member

So is there no true bypass SD-1 available? (with asymmetrical clipping, not a ts808)

7. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

The Fulldrive is assymmeterical, and, being based on the TS, it can sound ALOT like the SD-1(stock). I have both. I prefer the Fulldrive for it's versatility. But just barely.

Oh- and I saw someone online actually put a TB switch in an SD-1. Not a small job, that. I think it was over on the DIY Stompbox board. Maybe you could get someone like Indyguitarist or Keeley to mad an SD-1 for you (Keeley did this to the AD-9, I don't see why he couldn't do it to an SD-1)...

8. erksin

erksin Member

Why the need for T/B? With the Keeley mods, you won't miss it IMO. I had one of his TS-9/808 mods and it was not a tone sucker in the least...

9. tennisdude

tennisdude Member

I don't see the need for true bypass either. The SD has an FET buffer (if I'm not mistaken) that should take care of the tone sucking problem.

Otherwise you could just rehouse it in an alluminum box and put in a dpdt/3pdt switch :dude:dude:dude:dude

10. Arcy_D

Arcy_D Member

well some of it is just that i find there is no interaction like guitar being plugged straight to the amp... the whole setup just plays and feels different, in my opinion. i could be crazy though.

but otherwise your guitar is interfaced with... something else, made in japan. lol