I need the tone of my EH Memory Man Deluxe but smaller

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheGuildedAge, Jul 4, 2006.

1. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I love the pedal, but was wondering if I could save space and get the same tone out of a maxon, analog man modded dd3, ibanez, or other device.

Anyone have a recommendation for a great analog delay that won't take up as much space, need to keep it under $200.

2. fatback

fatback Member

The big question is... how much time do you need?

3. MrSage

MrSage Member

Right.

If you're okay with shorter delay times (in the 300ms range), then you owe it to yourself to check out the Jacques Prisoner.

If you need the 500 or so ms on the DMM, then you'll have to go digital. You might look into something along the lines of the SPF I-5, which is analog-voiced digital and has the option of an effects loop. This lets you insert chorus, vibrato, etc onto the repeats to give you modulation delays.

4. TheGuildedAge

I have a boss dd3 for long times and high gain stuff, this pedal is for shorter, atmospheric textures.

5. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Check out the Line 6 Tone Core Echo Park, it's analog setting is very warm, great delay. Two other outstanding delays that can do the job is the BOSS DD-2 or the Ibanez DL10, if you take a look at Mike Fuller's pedalboard on the Fulltone website, you'll see one sitting on it.

I picked up two of the Korg 301dl Dynamic Delays and am in love with theire warm tone and their ducking is great! Plus it has two presets that you can program your settings into it.

[​IMG]
    TheGrooveking

6. TheGuildedAge

Some good tips. My current thinking is replace the memory man with a maxon delay and some sort of tremolo pedal.

I don't like the line 6 pedals much.

7. drolling

drolling Member

Me neither!

But I will 2nd the recommendation of the Jacques Prisoner. Fatback's got a great video demo of the pedal on a thread somewhere on this page.

But most of the small analogue delay pedals only have about 1/3 of a second of delay time - compared to a little over a half second w/the DMM.

And as far as trem goes, I gave up on trying to find a pedal that does it right (altho' there are some pretty good ones) and got an amp that has it built-in. I only mention this because you obviously appreciate the difference between analogue & digital delay - so you might also be dissappointed in the tremolo you get from a pedal, compared to the real deal..

8. vinni

vinni Member

Isn't it just possible to rehouse the pedal in a small Hammond box?

OT:
    Is there a difference in sound between the mono MM and the Stereo version?

Vinni

9. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

Sadly, no. The circuit board takes up a significant fraction of the DMM's case.

10. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Jacques Prisoner