1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

I need to hear from persons who may not like THD Flexi 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by keith_t4e, Sep 6, 2005.

1. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Most people love this amp, but I've heard enough people who didn't like it that I'd like to hear more. What problems did you have with it. It looks like it is built like a tank. Is the distortion good sounding and enough to get you into pure saturation without a pedal. I love the erganomics of this amp. I like that you can or can't use the master. There are just so many posibilities= boost with no master, boost and master, boost master 20 watts maxed out, no master boost 20 watts maxed out. boost 50 watts master gained out. Not sure it is a hard rock tone amp. I think it is a pop player's dream.

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

3. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Yea, I thought I might get that. I just can imagine that amp sounding great in a one guitar band where lightly distorted rythym work and boosted lead work cut through with ease. I think you could record and make it sound just processed enough to be clear as a bell or down and dirry if you need. It seems like a cool amp. That is why I'm wondering why I have heard a few players who just weren't feeling this amp at all.

4. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I tried the Flexi when it first came out and wasn't blown away. I didn't care for the master or boost functions at all.
    I really wanted to like that amp. I played it on 2 seperate occations for a total of about 1.5 hours. Ended up with the Bivalve

I guess that if you try the amp and like it that's all that really matters.

5. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

I played a Flexi quite a bit, but I couldn't get it to do what I wanted. Too much late 70's Marshall as opposed to early 70's. I stuck with the Uni. I guess that's why THD makes different amps.

6. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I don't like it a bit! If I play a bad note, the Flexi just makes the note louder (and I think the amp laughs at me). The amp is mean, just mean.

:FM

7. raz

raz Member

Which goes to the heart of the matter, I think.

I'm not supposed to be posting on this thread, because I've become impressed by the Flexi. But on first blush I was underwhelmed with the tone. Then I took it to rehearsal and was knocked out by how well its voice sat in the mix. So, I kept it.

BUT...it is a demon to get comfortable with. It is absolutely unforgiving. The reason it sits so well in the band mix is that it it doesn't sag the way, say, my GDS does. If you want it to break up, you have to go after it with your hands. It's much more difficult to "play into" the sound, if that makes sense.

Once you get comfortable with it, and sharpen up your playing, it's a great amplifier. You just have to get past the stress that it will inflict on you.

For many players, that is enough to kill their interest in it...and I can see their point.

But it was worth the effort for me because of how well it works sitting in and cutting through the mix.

It's kinda like having a gorgeous but high-maintenance girlfriend.

R
    A
    Z

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Right on - articulate and unforgiving. Good things in an amp - not in a girlfriend/wife... ;)

9. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

FWIW, I was joking. (But I think this was obvious.) :)

10. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Was indeed - great post.

11. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I am resisting the urge to defend my purchase :)D): but one thing I *don't* like about the Flexi is the lack of a useful effects loop. That is by design and done for tone; but in the end, I want to use the damn loop... and as is, it isn't useful at all.

Beyond that, I find it is the amp best suited to how I play and why I play. The comments above about the fact you can't hide with this amp is exactly why I like it so. Whatever you do with it, you will hear. With a band it is like a knife in butter. And the fact that you can/must do it all with your volume pot and hands is the reason to love/hate it. You absolutely cannot fake anything with this amp.

Just my opinion.

12. Dave Cowley

Dave Cowley Member

Awright. I gotta weigh in. Yes, I'm a Flexi fan, but there are things I don't like about it...

I think the distortion sounds gawdawful unless you run it with the boost on. And it distorts pretty early if you're trying to get it to do a loud clean sound. It ain't a Fender, and it really really ain't a Twin. I know some people are happy with distortion pedals and a Flexi, but I don't understand how they get a workable sound unless they're cranking the Flexi.

The key to being happy with the Flexi (IMHO) is to run it flat-out and use the guitar's volume knob to clean up when needed. That gives a better clean than trying to run it loud and clean with both the boost and hi-gain off. Works great if you play Marshally rock with clean bits here and there, but otherwise, I dunno if you're going to be happy with it.

And as for the Flexi being unforgiving? Perhaps, but I went through a very rough year and a half making the transition from a Mark III boogie to the Univalve. So once I tamed that beast, when I got to the Flexi, it seemed downright easy by comparison!

13. Dave Cowley

Dave Cowley Member

Er. Um. Well.... :eek: :eek:

Thought you were (mostly) serious. Thought it was quite funny, though! :)

14. Dave Cowley

Dave Cowley Member

Ditto. The first night I owned the Flexi, once I got it dialed in, I spent like 90 minutes playing Van Halen licks and grinning like an idiot. I flat-out loved the way it responded to my hands, and the combination of girth and chime in its dirty voicing. It became my "voice" almost immediately.

15. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I don't dislike the Flexi, but I didn't like it enough to consider buying it. I thought the amp felt stiff and that the voicing of the amp was a bit harsher in the upper mids than what I prefer. And yes, I do realize it is voiced that way to cut through a rock band, but that isn't the only sound that I need an amp to do. The end result is that I didn't feel like I had as much control with my pick attack as I do with "squishier" amps. My suggestion would be to try the amp before you buy it. It might be exactly what you are looking for.

I do think the comments about having to be a better player to get along with the amp are a bit silly, as I could see the Flexi working quite well for a ham-fisted rhythm guitar player.

Bryan

16. tubez

tubez Suspended

Hi,

I tried one out at my local music store and honestly I hated it. Although I may not have tried every possible configuration of settings. What I found is it seemed to be very compressed. Could not get any type of Marshall crunch or "bite" out of it so to speak. If you like a very warm smooth compressed sound I guess you would dig it. Just sounded to muddy for my taste.....

17. Johnny Raz

Johnny Raz Member

I went to Make N Music CONVINCED that I would love the Flexi and it would be my amp of choice (small, portable, flexible, etc...), but found that it only sounded good when turned WAY WAY up (no built in attenuator like the Univalve and I found it annoying that there was a lot of knob turning and switching to get a sound that was good to my ears. I guess I'm not a tweaker.....

The guy at Make N Music had me try a Roccaforte and it took very little tweaking to get a great sound and the Master volume blew me away. Roccaforte was not even on my list of amps to try that day, and I became a convert that day!

18. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, Bivalve would be my pick over the Flexi, too. I prefer the BV's voicing and more saggy response at useable volume levels.

19. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

The one thing I don't get is the complaints about the Flexi's volume. It's perfect for my band usage. But I sure wouldn't pick it as a home practice amp.

20. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Different strokes...I much prefer the Flexi.