I need to hear from persons who may not like THD Flexi 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by keith_t4e, Sep 6, 2005.

1. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

Which is another way of saying that, IMO, you can't audition an amp (or a pedal, pickups, or speakers) without A/Bing it against other stuff.

2. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

How so?

3. raz

raz Member

Maybe I'm getting grouchy in my old age too, because I'm having trouble understanding why people criticize Gear Blathering on a forum that exists for the purpose of...uh...Gear Blathering.

:confused:

Whoops...we're off topic here. Sorry.

R
    A
    Z

4. rwe333

rwe333 Member

Yup - you follow the rules 'round here...

5. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

I agree, the thread is discussing an amp that Ed is probably more familiar with than anyone on the planet. Many have heard him play, on clips or in person and know he both works for THD and supports anyone using the gear that works for them.

I can only say that the amp sounded massive through the trick 4 x 12 THD at Namm last January. Lots of tones, lots of flavors by manipulating the guitar and the amp.

I like it, now it they made it in purple...

:D

6. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

You do have a point, thanks for the epiphany.

7. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

You do have a point; thanks for the epiphany :D

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator ^/|\^ Co-Founder of TGP Staff Member

For an Admin point of view - Ed didn't start the thread and chimed in not to sell amps, but to give his opinion. He isn't spamming and he has always understood how to not cross the line.

9. Reeek

Reeek Member

I'm just wondering if we all owe keith_t4e an apology for trashing his thead . . .

keith_t4e?

Or maybe he's already run as far away from a Flexi and this thread as possible.

10. raz

raz Member

Ahhhh, I don't think so. There's been some, ahem, clarifications between people but there's good info here pertinent to keith_t4e's question. Even a minor consensus of sorts, perhaps stated most eloquently by Scott P: You won't "get" this amp in the store or in your bedroom. But play it with your band, and you'll get it.

That's my experience exactly, but I would add this corollary: You may not like it, but you'll get it.

R
    A
    Z
    (Gets it, likes it. Still can't play it, but we're working on that...)

11. markp

markp Member

I agree with everything that was said by the people who own and play the FLEXI!!!

To the original poster;
    When I have master off,I have perfect cleans and the most exellent leads all from guitar volume.From here click on master volume at about 3 oclock and you have crunchy rythm tone.Overdrive pedal used on crunch settings will add what you need too cover the pop and what not.

I disagree with those that say it is to open ,to compressed,to brite,to dark,to mushy,to harsh,to smooth,to lifeless....etc

12. Reeek

Reeek Member

So were all these reviews/opinons, both good and bad, all done with similar tube configurations and brands/MFG codes?

Maybe the OEM set-up?

I seem to hear a lot of opinion regarding the tones and response of this amp but not much, if any, talk about how the tubes were configured and which ones. That seems odd to me since I am personally a tube snob myself (not just any tube will do! :D :cool: ) and I am a real believer in the notion that many times, the tubes will make or break the amp or at least improve or diminish it's tonal output and qualities. Sometimes subtley, sometimes drastically.

So what are we talking regarding all these good and bad reviews and tubes?

Thanks!

13. Orren

Orren Member

Hey, watch it! I resemble that remark! ;)

I love talking about gear. That's why I'm here, like most of us. I love comparing amps to other amps, talking about what we like, what we don't, and why. What's hot, what's not, who's using what amp, what they're doing with it, and how many times.

But sometimes, comments just make me chuckle. That's not a bad thing--everyone needs a sense of humor, and a good chuckle.

I don't mean this as a slight on you at all, BTW, raz--I'm just using the idea that the Flexi "jarred" you as an example. I have been on this planet 35 years. I've had a fair sampling of the best and worst life can offer. And I've had a fair sampling of gear in the last 20 years or so. But with the possible exception of a microphone at a club that nearly cost me my life, I've never been "jarred" by gear.

Maybe that's because I'm ham fisted. ;)

But seriously, you like it or you don't. Sometimes it's instant, sometimes it grows on you. Sometimes you try to make it work, but it just doesn't. Fair enough--some like, some don't. But "jarring" it ain't. This isn't rocket science.

Again, this is not directed at you, or against anyone for not liking the Flexi. It's just a general comment on the idea that an amp can be "jarring." Next thing you know, someone will say they sold their Flexi because it "betrayed" them. ;)

Orren

14. slide man

slide man Member

Look at the title of the thread! He is asking for negative opinions!
    I wish there were more threads like this. I have bought and sold a lot of really good amps because I really did not understand the strenths and weakness of the given amps, and I really did not understand what I wanted. Now that I am familiar with this forum and forumites I can read the reviews and get a good understanding of the amps with out really even hearing them.
    For instance almost any amp that Tag likes probably wouldn't work for me. He likes a really nice clean tone and preferes preamp distortion. I don't really play or perform all that much in a totally clean way, and I much prefere power tube distortion. It really just boils down to what you play and how you use your amp. If I was doing all my playing at home I would probably prefer a amp with more preamp distortion as that sounds much better in at home situation.
    As far the the FLEXI goes I think I would like it. Un forrunatly I am GROUNDED from buying amps for probably another year. However I am really totally happy with what I have.

Slideman

15. chris nix

chris nix Member

Scott Peterson wrote:

For anyone that HAS actually tried the Flexi, but didn't like it, Scott brings up what is probably THE most important issue with this amp.
    You -cannot- set the tone knobs the way you would a traditional amp. The settings I use on mine still weird me out, when I look at the amp's face-panel! The very first time I tried one, Ed D set the controls for me and I fell in love immediately. When I saw the settings, I was a little thrown.
    I use it with the MV turned off, basically clean, running pedals in the front-end. With this setup, I've played just about every imaginable style of gig, and couldn't name anything that I would be more pleased with. I've owned or currently own just about everything out there. The Flexi gets the Desert Island Amp designation with me, and nothing before it has ever been able to topple my '69 Super Lead from this title.

Like Wayne, I am friends with Ed, but I only use him. It's not anything but a relationship of gear convenience:) .
    Truthfully, I can use anything I want (in fact, I do work for another amp-maker) and this is it.
    Someone else brought the point that threads like this are strange, as the person that started it is using someone else's ears to buy something they haven't tried for themselves. They are also (though without intending to) leaving the door open for a bash-fest of a great amp that, if you're into Dual Rectifiers, simply isn't the amp for you.
    PS: If you like Dual Rectifiers, you are a comunist:p !

16. raz

raz Member

Nah, you just haven't been around long enough yet...pup ;)

R
    A
    Z
    (40 and feelin' it)

17. rocketboss

rocketboss Supporting Member

Personally,

I love the amp! More and more every day!

To me its like five or six amps in one and if you don't like it, you can change it. Its the FLEXI! ! !

I wonder as I read this thread why nobody really talks about how flexible this amp is and how much fun it is to tweek. Changing out pre-amp tubes, mixing power tubes, cranking up the bias. I don't think you can judge this amp in a music store because the amp can do so much more.

Nick :)?D)

18. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I happen to absolutely TOTALLY DISAGREE with your post!! :mad: :p :D Well that part of your post. I happen to absolutely LOVE my Tremoverb and absolutely LOVE my Flexi. I have a very wide array of tastes and I can dial both in to sound great and fit my styles perfectly . From what I remember Ed still loves his old Tremoverb (ada Dual Rectifier) too!

So there

:dude

ERIC

19. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

flexibreath I've got two answers for you. One, We try to get as much feedback as possible because the darn good ones cost so much. The flexi and Avenger are two I'm looking at along with two mesa products because they are around the 1500 range. The Suhr and Fuchs are much higher and would require a lot of thought and exposure before I could buy. the other reason is that growing up Marshall, Fender and Music Man were the only three then Hiwatt, Orange etc. I grew up on nothin but marshall. This will be my first non marshall.

20. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

thank you everyone. My next thread in a day or so will be does the avenger produce every note the same no mater how you attack the fret board. i've heard the Engl amps make the note sound the same no mater how you play it. like too much distortion and compression. I gues the opposite would be sensitivity. I'm really thinking the Flexi is one of those I'd just like to have around to play with, but not my main rig. I'm leaning Avenger for that; however, I've found it to be a bit too low end minded and compressed. If I can tweek the depth nob and open it up I'd like it. some one made the point that the flexi's nobs don't react the way other amps do. i found this true of a Laney combo. it is indeed wierd when you find your tone with the treble up or down when you are used to it being the other way or the middle or bass nob. thanks again for some great input. If you haven't figured it out yet I'm searching for a three thousand dallar tone for around 1500. It is like just get a suhr and get it over with right.