I need to hear from persons who may not like THD Flexi 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by keith_t4e, Sep 6, 2005.

1. brent

brent Member

Just for you mang

When can I get my paisley headbox?

2. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

For the Plexi or a Flexi?

3. brent

brent Member

Flexi

4. rwe333

rwe333 Member

Headboxes?
    Do tell - I remember rack-mount kits...

5. Ed DeGenaro

I'd say the latest in January.

6. brent

brent Member

got it

Ever since you pointed it out in July, I can't get past how the Flexi looks on top of a 4x12. Its all your fault

7. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I get tired of seeing people comment
    on those of us who spend our time
    posting on forums like these not
    ever taking the time to think that
    we have real jobs, and don't need
    to be here. Its our FREE time we
    give, and it should be appreciated more.
    We all share identical intrests when it
    comes to what we all love here most,
    playing guitar/amps ect....
    Why is it that because some of us own
    our own businesses, or work for a manufacturer,
    we can't be on the same playing field as
    everyone else?
    We are, in fact, if every here would cut their
    finger they'd find we all have the same color blood.
    Imagine this?

Anyway, it has been a while Ed, hope you
    and Andy are doing well.
    Call me sometime.
    Doug

8. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I also couldn't get along with the Flexi for similar reasons. It's not so much to do with the Flexi's responsiveness (I find it to be very dynamic and responsive). It's about an upper-mid harshness that my ears percieve in the amps overdrive and I couldn't dial it out. By John's description in his original post I'd say we're hearing the same thing and my reaction to it was the same. It's very easy to control the amps drive and voice with my hands but the more I dug in the more of that unpleasant upper-mid harshness would stand out and so I found the amp somewhat limiting as well - not because the amp is limited in response / voice/ tone / feel / etc. but because the tone was unpleasant to my ears when overdriven. FWIW - I did not percieve the same harsh characteristic when I recorded the Flexi, I just heard it in the room (I also heard this characteristic clearly in a band setting at a jam) and, for this reason alone, the amp did not inspire me to play.

As John said - this thread was opened for folks to chime in on what they did not like about the Flexi. Open a 'What did you like about the Flexi' thread and I'll gladly chime in on the many things I did like about it.

9. Reeek

Reeek Member

The bottom line is that this place, and others, would be lacking without you guys chiming in as often as you feel like it and for whatever reason or stance you wish to take just like us non-manufacturers.

If you guys leave, I'll probably leave too.

And go ahead and try to promote your products and keep us informed as much as you wish.

I own a Suhr now anyway (very delighted too!) since coming here and my gear buying days are FAR from over. Knowledge, choices and options are all good.

10. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

That's what always baffled me about moderators, forumites
    and spam police who are players either removing/moving
    posts we make regarding new products.
    Hey, I play guitar and welcome any new piece of
    gear I've never seen or known about.
    I would *think that other players would as well.
    Isn't that the main reason for message boards
    like these?
    BUT, should one of us post about a new product
    in an amplifier section of a forum, all of a sudden
    its spam, and yet I'm here on my own free
    time helping others with more information
    about other products than my own.
    There are a few members here who
    are not in the industry, but certainly
    ride the "spam" wave as far as I'm concerned,
    but its ok for them because they're not in the industry.
    WTF gives?
    OK, enough ranting, I got work to do.

11. raz

raz Member

I've been avoiding this subject because we're WAY off topic here (sorry, Keith_t4e!) and because I didn't want to get into a pissing match with anyone, but for the record: Doug, Ed, John...I'm personally glad y'all are here and I don't agree with HassanBinSober at all on this point (no offense intended, Hassan).

It is not, IMHO, bad form for builders or their reps to comment here...unless they choose to get nasty or get caught up in pissing matches, which is bad form for anyone.

Good form is to try to have a maximum of tact, a minimum of vitriol, take compliments humbly, and accept criticism graciously (even when it's misguided)...and to be quick with an apology when you fail at any of these.

That's my opinion.

R
    A
    Z

12. rwe333

rwe333 Member

Is a fine line indeed, sometimes - but the mods around here do a great job. You do raise some interesting points...

13. scottl

scottl Member

Hi guys........

I have a Flexi and have not noticed any upper mid harshness that is objectionable. I have not really looked for it, but I never noticed any jumping out at me.

Do you think maybe the harshness that you heard could have been just a bad mix of amp and speaker??? Some amps don't mix well with some speakers.... Just a thought...

Fwiw, I really appreciate the contributions of everyone on the gear page. I feel it is imperative to have the manufacturors/endorsees chime in as well. I understand what John and Doug are saying as well. I am in the same boat. I am a player and music lover foremost. I WANT to read the opinions of these guys.

Rock on!

Scott

14. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

It is certainly possible. I tried the Flexi through a THD 2x12" at Westwood Music in LA. I have no idea what speakers are in the cab or what tubes were in the amp, though I'd assume everything was stock. I auditioned the amp with a Heritage 535 Classic that had Seth Lover pickups (I have one like it at home). The room that they have for electrics is fairly large and has a high ceiling. I was able to crank the amp up and spent about 30 minutes messing with it.

My typical preference for amps is those with a "spongier" feel to them. I usually use lower wattage amps, crank them up, and then use the volume controls on the guitar to get the right volume level. My complaint with the Flexi was that the attack of the note felt stiff and, perhaps because of that, it seemed harsh in the upper mids, both traits that are probably not noticed when playing with a band. Incidentally, I've noticed a similar characteristic with some of the Dr. Z amps when played solo, but it does vanish when played with a loud band.

I think that the Flexi is a very nice amp. It is well built and seems versatile, but when it comes down to it, it just isn't for me. For others who share similar preferences in amps, I think this thread is a good read.

Bryan

15. scottl

scottl Member

Thanks Bryan... I do dig my Flexi. I mainly play my Fuchs amps, but the Flexi is just another great color in my pallette. I dig having a totally different vibe available if need be.

Fwiw, I like spongy too.

Scott

16. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Hmmmm.....that explains a lot!!!

:p

17. Reeek

Reeek Member

:FM Grrrrrrrrrrrrr I'm getting mad here . . .

I'm still seeing way too little of the tube compliment with the impressions and opinions about this amp from those who have played it.

I mean really, guys and gals, in many of our other threads, we go on and on about tone woods, neck woods, tube brands and tube types, SS frets vs nickel steel, etc., etc. affecting tone with all the same adjectives to describe what we like or dislike in the tone and then we surmise the reason why it sounds so good or so bad.

But here, except for a couple of 6550/EL34 inferences, no one is offering up all these elements to either defend or condemn the Flexi.

I know it takes more typing but not so much as to at least give us a sense of the environment that the amp is being subjected to.

Oh!, And I'm not really mad :p

Oh! And I didn't forget to ask for the cab and speakers too ;)

18. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

John Suhr, Man most people seem to really love the guitars which are modled after an actual fender. My favorite is the basswood body, maple cap, some kind of orange something color, slim c neck, HSS pups. I had my eye on one at Indoor Storm but it got sold. This is what I played through the Flexi. I'm looking for something that single coils will sound good through as well as bukers. I know the JCM800 probably lacks gain for the single coils. I hope I can remember the specs of the guitar I want. great axe. Not sure about the basswood though.

19. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

by the way the flexi I tried out had el34s.

20. Ed DeGenaro

Now we're getting somewhere. If you're looking for a high gainer and aren't a pedal guy...well the Flexi to me is a mid gainer. But then i do slam it with pedals.