I Need To Kill A Hornets' Nest, Anyone Accomplish This Using Spectracide?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by joe_jr, May 18, 2015.

1. joe_jr

joe_jr Supporting Member

Just wondering before I get out there. Spectracide Wasp & Hornet Killer is what I am thinking of using, but reviews from around the web aren't exactly encouraging.

Anyone had good or bad luck with Spectracide? All comments welcome.

TIA!

2. FFTT

FFTT Member

Carb cleaner, brake cleaner work fast where other sprays may not be quick enough.
    It will harm foliage and may harm certain plastics and finishes.

3. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

4. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

You're best off just whacking at it with a broomstick.

Mr. Kite, Jeff Scott and 84superchamp like this.
  5. FFTT

FFTT Member

Most of all, you want to hit them at night in the dark on a cool morning when everyone is home.
    1st AM.

Just make sure you have a clear shot and a clear exit path.

6. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

Burn it! burn it with FIRE!!!!

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

For ground nests, I flood the entry way with gasoline and toss a lit piece of paper towel from a safe distance.
    Kah Woosh! No More Nest!

Jeff Scott likes this.
  8. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

i like this idea. it works very well if you invite a "friend" over, drink a few beers and talk him into doing it.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  9. FFTT

FFTT Member

You might want to pick up some benadryl in case you get stung.

10. FFTT

FFTT Member

Best advice with retail sprays, get a couple cans.
    Using bee sprays over decades in the field, sometimes the spray stream isn't strong enough to cover the distance.

11. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

where's the nest located? Are you sure they're hornets?

12. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

a) I spray at first light in the AM...they've had an entire night to cool down and get slow.

b) If the nest is like a bald-faced hornet nest, find the entry which (around here ) is usually located a bit off center at the bottom. You want to soak that first so when they try to come out the get coated with your spray even when you are not adding more to that spot.

c) Get a spray with a minimum 25 foot shot. You don't want to be closer.

d) Sample-spray it first...get to know the trajectory. Just takes a second or two. Do not do this in the store.

e) Most of the sprays are pryrethrins or their derivatives (many are synthetic). This is the same family of neurotoxins used in organic (and non-organic) farms. They are more toxic to insects due to their uptake paths (we lack them), but you still don't want to breathe or get it on your skin (possible pathway to the mouth).

f) Get dressed up like you are going on a stroll to the north pole in the winter. Cover exposed skin/hair...don't give them a free shot at you, especially your face.

g) I always have a second can on hand... you can never kill too many hornets.

h) once you start, be merciless. If the nest drops to the ground, continue to soak it.

i) Do not walk up to it once you are done. There is usually a straggler or three (hundred), and there are sometimes early-riser hornets who are returning and rather pissed that you have destroyed their colony.

I am anaphylacticly allergic to Bald-Faced Hornets and the large Western Hornet (not the yellow jacket).
    So far (knock on wood) the score is Randy 5, Hornets 0

13. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

Or a Epi pen.

14. FAC

FAC Member

How big is the nest? I've used a large spray bottle with a soap solution to deal with wasp nests (I kid you not...search google, it worked...but they were maybe fist-sized nests). Not sure about hornets. If you are allergic to stings, I would hire someone to do it.

15. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Walk up to the nest anytime. Start jabbing at it with the eraser end. If they swarm, run. Its a proven fact man can out run a Hornet swarm.

Actually if the Spectracide is a white foam, it works fairly easy and I was surprised how quickly they all died.

16. FFTT

FFTT Member

If you do miss some of them and they fly off, once they return, they will be very upset and aggressive.

17. Supercubziggy

Supercubziggy Member

I say you stick an M80 in the entry of the thing, light it and run like hell. I second the epi pen.

18. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I use those sprays every year. They work great but be away from the spray. They give me a headache that screams "danger Will Robinson". Probably deadly to us as well in some way.

19. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

this is my question as well.
    if its a hanging nest, I'd recommend using the foaming spray. Ground nest regular stuff is fine, but be sure to locate all their exits before you spray

20. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

I've used whatever spray foam you can get at the Home Depot that can spray distances of up to 20 feet. It works fine if you do it at the right time of day and take the time to soak the nest. Personally, I don't like using stuff like that, but sometimes you need to.

I have gotten rid of small nests with a Rigid shop vac a few times and that works fine, too. They've never come back out of the vac to express their displeasure. Your mileage may vary. Painfully.