I need to lower my LP pickup

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Scott M., Jan 12, 2008.

1. Scott M.

Scott M. Member

New LP got here the other day. Bridge pickup is way too high - probably only a mm or so below the strings. I tried turning the screws on the side but all that did was make the screws come out - it did nothing for the pickup level. Any suggestions?

Also, any suggestions for a good PAF clone/replica? These seem a little. . . "brittle?"

Thanks much.

Scott

2. grendal snowman

grendal snowman Member

To lower the pickup height, turn the slotted screw (not the 4 phillips head screws) on the pickup ring counter clockwise. This should alter the sound of the pickup, hopefully for the better.

3. Scott M.

Scott M. Member

Works fine with the neck pickup but all that happens when I do it with the bridge is that the screws come out. Pickup stays in place. Also, the pickup seems to be angled forward a bit much. . .

4. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Did you try pushing the pickup down while turning the screw? Or backing the screws out and pushing them down? the pickup might be stuck in the mounting ring. If that doesn't work you'll have to take it out and look underneath.

5. Scott M.

Scott M. Member

Got it - he spring was messed up. Took it apart and it works fine now. Thanks. :)

6. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

7. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Nice Les Paul!

I'd give the Burstbucker pickups a chance. Get them dialed in and they'll sound a lot better.