I need to replace the Rio Grandes on my tele...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DiGeorge, Jul 17, 2006.

1. DiGeorge

DiGeorge Member

Hi all,

I can't stand them anymore! They sound harsh and brittle - a total opposite of the sound I am trying to accomplish. I'd like clean natural tele sound - more to the jazzy, pedal steel side than screaming rock guitar. Awful for strumming too.
    The guitar is 52RI and the PUs came with it - I bought it from our bass player who upgraded the stock ones with these. I am not sure of the model, but I don't like them.

The guitar sounds good only through 4/12 cab or in general larger speaker setup. The sound has no dimension, very piercing and thin, and the Tele character is gone completely. When I play it through my POD XT Live it sounds extremely thin and narrow. I can kinda tolerate it through the Fender Blues Deluxe only, but through my peavey Classic 30 w/ Celestion Vintage is horrible (to me at least).
    On the other hand, I have PRS custom on which I installed SD AlnicoII/Pearly Gates adn I love the way they balanced each other out - a big improvement over the muddy Dragons the guitar came with.

I read a bunch of long threads about tele PUs but I couldn't make up my mind - which route do I go? It sounds like SD Five-Two might do the trick or what else? I have to find something more milder/smoother for the Alt country recording project I am working on right now. I use a variety of technics - finger-style, pick-fingers, only picks. Usually I play Golden Gate mandolin picks, or anything thicker than 1mm.

Help the brother out, please! Sorry for the long whine...

2. kikeft

kikeft Member

Try Fralins Stock.

3. DiGeorge

DiGeorge Member

Can I hear them somewhere?

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

You could do a lot worse than put the stock pups, Fender Original Vintage, back in.

I went through a bunch of Tele pups, Barden, Kinman, Lollar and when I put the Fender Original Vintage in they just sounded great.
    The neck pup is full and warm without being dull and the bridge is nicely scooped and twangy but not thin.

You can get them on ebay for $100 a set.

5. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I was just in the same boat. I pulled a Rio Grande Big Bottom set out of my Tele and replaced them with the new Keystone pickups from Bill Lawrence. He has a Tele set available now. These are true single coils, not noiseless like his other pickups. Very sweet for sure! The neck pickup actually sounds like a Tele neck pickup again!

6. Big Al Z

Big Al Z Member

I'm in the boat with ya - only with a Strat. The description of "harsh and brittle" is kind of what I've been getting. I may try them for a little while longer - but they just don't seem to be for me either.

7. DiGeorge

DiGeorge Member

Thanks for your input guys!

I tried lowering the pickups in search of less harshness and more wirey sound, but found no comfort at all! They have to go!

Martin, I looked up the Fender Original Vintage and I also found Fender Vintage Noiseless. Do you know the difference between those two? I really would like to have a less noise, especially during recording. At $90 the Original Vintage set is a no brainer! For $10 more I can get the noiseless, unless they are completely different animal than the Original model.

This is an awesome forum by the way - truly like no other!

8. go7

go7 Member

Try wolfetone, harsh and brittle was what I lost when I replaced pups with Wolfetone`s. You`ll get alot of opinions cause there`s lots of ears.

9. Unburst

Unburst Member

From what I understand the vintage noiseless are very different from the Original Vintage.
    I haven't tried them, so I can't really comment, but the reports I've heard have not been positive.

What I can tell you from personal experience is that I've had Original Vintage in two Teles and loved them both times.
    For $100 they are worth a shot and the certainly surpassed much more expensive and exalted pups for what I am looking for.

If noise is an issue the Kinman AVn 48b sound good and are quiet as a mouse.
    Not quite as "airy" as a true SC but probably close enough, if the hum bugs you.