I need to stop trading my amps :(

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mika, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Mika

Mika Member

Am I insane for wanting to trade my 68 bassman head nd 212 cab for a Ac30c2 or cc2....
    I just have not been able to gel with my current sound....

I went from a Dr Z carmen ghia to a maz 18 to a bassman....... and I am liking my sound less and less :(

The bassman to me just seem so bright and I can never eq it just right for my taste.....

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Too bright? You don't want to go the AC30 route then either, they can get even brighter than Blackfaces. Maybe you'd like to try going warmer, maybe a tweed or brownface sound?

3. Gear-Junkie

Gear-Junkie Supporting Member

Ya, try some tweeds if you dont like the brightness, eventually you'll find something you like... only way to know is to try 'em.

4. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

1) What kinda music do you play?
    2) What guitars and pedals are you using?

Maybe you've got the wrong idea of what you need to be aiming for sonically. I thought drive pedals would satisfy me, but I've found that nothing replaces good amp overdrive.

5. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Member

put an eq in the loop and/or change out the speakers

6. Mika

Mika Member

I use a Jazzmaster with some seymour duncan p90s (I dont know why but I love the sound of these pickups) And I use a strat.....
    Pedals I am pretty basic, EQD Tone Reaper, Korg pitchblack, EHX micro POG, Keeley blues driver, MXR Carbon Copy, EQD Ghost Echo, Radial Bigshot (two amps)

Wow so an Ac30 is a little brighter ? I used a hh ac30 a year or so back and it seemed so nice and rounded.... Fender always in my mind has this bite to it :/

Either I wish I had stuck with my ghia, that was a nice sound......
    How are the tweed bassman Reissues?

7. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

I wouldn't call the AC30 brighter from my experience. It's a great amp, especially if you use single coils.

8. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Selling your only amp to buy the next one (not saying that is what you did) is a terrible way to navigate this market. I know this stuff is relatively expensive, especially if you are young, but used gear is at the lowest price I've seen in a long while. The only way to asses a new (to you) amp INHO is to own it... and be able to compare it to others. It takes me several weeks of playing everyday to figure out if I like an amp. If I buy smart, I'm confident I can resell it for close to what I paid. I definitely do my research, but its never the entire answer.

9. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

just get a redplate and be done with it :)

10. sabby

sabby Member

If you like the punch, feel, and gain structure of your Bassman, try to put an EQ pedal at the end of your chain for final tone shaping. An AC30 is a real different beast not simply in terms of EQ. The same goes for tweeds.

The Fromel Shape is one of the best tone investments I've made. I say investment because it stopped me from spending money on getting that last 10-15% of my sound. I can simply dial it in.

11. mAx___

mAx___ Member

Get the C2 with Greenbacks and you'll have no problem with brightness. I would not consider the AC30 a bright amp at all anyway, even with Blues. Sure, if you need it to be bright, you can always dial it in, but I wouldn't be worried about it. Don't go for the CC though.

12. acoupland

acoupland Member

not enough info to really help, but.... did you try turning down the treble knob + turn off the bright switch? Sounds simple but some people just feel they *have* to have the treble turned above 6 and then complain that its too bright.
    Did you try turning down the tone knob on your guitar? It is there to be used :) I often run my BF bassman with treble = 10 and then turn my tone knob down to 3/4 on my LP. Then, anytime I really need to hit it with some bite I can just turn the tone knob up.

Different speakers? I love greenbacks + fanes with blackface, really round out the sound nicely.

But ya, blackface + ac30's can be reallly bright, or not so bright - depending on the full setup and settings.
    The BF doesn't have to be for you but the ac30 will be closer to the DRZ's so if you already didn't like those, there might be something else you need to consider in your setup. Or, you need something completely different like an 18w marshall type... really depends on the sound you want - bassman and carmen ghia are quite different

13. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

Are you talking about playing alone or with a band? Bright can be good if you're playing in a band.

14. billconnorsfan

billconnorsfan Member

With a fuller, thicker, more articulate sound (than the BF Bassman) in mind, I believe you've just ended your own search. Try one out and enjoy! :aok

15. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

There are other darker amps too. I find Egnater amps to be able to sound darker and have an overall tame or balanced character. I also think that Mesa/Boogie amps might fit the bill, as they can be really dark sounding with little effort/eq'ing. Tweed amps with a good EQ would be a good choice too. If you want to go more British I think Orange amps are very warm while still having a great grind.

16. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

If I were in your shoes, I'd consider taking it to a GREAT amp tech and have it modded to your taste. It's easily done with that amp and you can get some really great results with the right tech. You can probably get it where you want it with some reversible mods just in case you ever want to bring it back to specs and sell it.

17. Mika

Mika Member

All of this is true..... I usually set the treble on 2 and the bass on 8...... which is really lopsided.... I do engage the bright switch but only because I need definition in the drive.... without it just sounds bad.
    I use mainly single coils and p90s, so it gets bright. But Iam just not enjoying the sound..... maybe a tweed bassman will be the thing....
    And yes the mistake I have made to this point is trading amps to experience many different sounds... a very stupid mistake which I should not have done.

18. Dinosaur Sr.

Dinosaur Sr. Member

I'd suggest trying different speakers. As mentioned above they have as big an effect on e.q. as the amp itself (probably bigger). Based on your bass and treble settings try a Weber legacy 30oz maybe? Or a greenback or a scumback m-75. You can get one weber to try out for $120 (less if you wait for a sale). Way cheaper than flipping amps and makes a huge difference. I have a drri, which can be real bright, but plugged into a Weber legacy 30oz, it's totally different--not bright at all, even with the bright cap. Good luck.