I need to vent (quitting reverb.com)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hchoe741, Oct 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. hchoe741

hchoe741 Member

I just need to publicly let out some stress about some recent dealing with reverb.com and their lack of assertiveness in customer service. I won't go into the full details, but basically I've had 2 incidents.

1. Seller listed an item as brand new, and took an unreasonably long time to ship the item. Item was far from new, demanded a refund with return shipping label from seller. Seller basically tells me to f***off. Chat with multiple customer service agents and everyone of them gives me a different answer. In the end all they could do was message the seller to do the right thing, and he ignored them. Had to open a paypal dispute and eventually got my refund. No return shipping label though so looks like I get to keep the pedal. Sweet. Then, I get a message from the seller cussing me out to return his f***ing pedal. I don't bother replying and go straight to reverb expecting them to terminate this jerk's account. Nope, instead they send the seller a warning and only then do they provide me a return shipping label, 2 weeks after paypal settled the dispute for me. Sigh..

2. Seller lists guitar as mint condition. It arrives and it's got dings all over and freaking DEAD BUGS in the pickup cavity as if it's been buried in the dirt. Seller tells me that in their opinion the guitar is in mint condition and they can't do anything, though I even provided pics of the condition. Whatever, I paid dirt cheap for it so I'm keeping it, but the seller is not getting any more than 2 stars from me. Seller left me 5 stars previously, but after I leave them 2 stars they suddenly change their feedback score for me to 2 stars. WTF. They have a valid reason for getting 2 stars, I didn't. I contact customer service expecting them to delete the 2 stars they left for me. Nope. Sigh...

I guess this rant turned out longer than I expected lol, but yea I'm done with reverb. Be warned

2. Surgeon

Surgeon Member

As a canadian reverb sucks the big one. All I’ve read in the last year is comments on how the place has turned into something almost worse than ebay... you’re not alone.

Phil M, Scrapperz, lavinci and 2 others like this.
  3. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

Don't mean to jinx myself, but I've had nothing but good luck and good deals.

scotth, Scrapperz, coltonius and 24 others like this.
  4. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Reverb is going downhill very fast, no wonder CME was quick to sell out.

Whogo, Phil M, Scrapperz and 11 others like this.
  5. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I'm VERY selective with buying on Reverb now. In fact I only use it as a last resort, before eBay which from my experience is even WORSE. All you can really do is stick to serious sellers who have a long standing reputation and feedback. It might even be worth messaging the seller before hand just to get a 'feel' for how they are. I can't tell you how many times I bought broken pedals off Reverb as well and at this point I pretty much only buy my pedals brand new or from a place that I can return it because I got screwed over so many times on Reverb. Sellers would just turn around and say 'it worked fine for me!' and other BS. Its crazy.

Amps are another story, I really try not to buy those off Reverb because you really don't know what the hell you're getting.

6. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Supporting Member

I'm a Reverb fan. Never any issues buying or selling, upwards of 100 transactions. I find it more reliable than eBay. Cheaper too.

7. _sjm_

_sjm_ Supporting Member

I didn’t know you could go back and edit feedback.

Tak10, Scrapperz, uab9253 and 9 others like this.
  8. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

I've always had pretty good luck on Reverb. I haven't done any deals on there since they were sold, though.

9. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

10. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

Me either. I've only done two Reverb purchases (cabs). I was too generous with the rating on one of them but always thought the initial rating was locked in.

I mostly use it to get a handle on approximate market value from recent actual sales.

11. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

Well i would say only deal with stores and not private sellers but i did go to one store this week that had a couple of guitars listed on reverb. The one i was interested in i played for a minute and then the owner - acting like a dick takes it out of my hands and says it sold online. It needed a setup though because the action was way too low, with fret buzz all over. Ok, so then i take a look at a musicman petrucci Majesty and i take it off the rack to show the owner im interested but the action was set really high. He grabs it from me and starts wanking and says yeah its too high and the neck is off because of temperature and bends the headstock to show me that they would adjust it if i bought it. He keeps on wanking- good player but he thinks i am some noob apprently and then he just goes and puts it back on the rack because he doesnt want me to play it, all while telling me what a killer guitar it is. Like i would even think about buying the guitar as is without playing it first. I wouldnt buy **** from this store.

I have bought a pickup set and my Milkman Pint on there but from Humbucker Music and Pitbull Audio who both have good reputations. I would never buy a guitar from anyone or any store without playing it first as a rule.

Whogo likes this.
  12. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

Yeah and their Reverb LP IS ATROCIOUS ! Multiple problems with sellers; Reverb backs out immediately and after THREE MONTHS of my credit card company getting in to it, I get my $25 back. Had multiple sellers back out at point of purchase and/or ship the wrong item. They make eBay look REAL good - and that's not a good thing.

Surgeon likes this.
  13. Cornholio

Cornholio Member

I have never had any problems, but I have only bought from sellers with outstanding feedback. I tend to shy away from sellers with little or no selling history, or that do not post multiple quality photos.

CloneTone and Bob Pollock like this.
  14. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

I can only speak to my own experience, which has been nothing but positive as far as Reverb support goes.

The most challenging issue I've had is a guy bought a used guitar from me recently, and within 2 days of receiving it immediately had buyer's remorse. However my listing was "No Returns, As Described." I was very polite with the guy, tried to help him out with suggestions on the guitar but that I'm sorry he doesn't like it, but the guitar is his now.

Nothing wrong with the guitar, heavily photographed and described in detail. Anyway, he'd go silent for a few days and come back as if we'd never spoken about it, and try and initiate a refund request and return. We went through that cycle about three times over the next month, same discussion. The final time he tried to go the "Guitar Not As Described" route which was bogus and in the end I had to get Reverb involved. They found in my favour and blocked the guy.

A week and a half later he leaves me 5-star positive feedback, commending the deal. Heh.

You really never know who you're dealing with in these things, I've found being the guy that keeps his cool and keeps the dialogue grounded seems to help.

15. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

I think your experiences are somewhat of an outlier.

I bought a guitar last year. When it arrived, I noticed that the finish was peeling up around the neck pocket. Seller had cleverly taken many pics, but clearly avoided showing that area. Seller dug in his heals. Reverb CS went to bat for me. Seller and I agreed on $100 refund to cover the defect.

For me, anytime a seller other than me lists an item as mint, my antennae go up. For example, I just looked at a Wampler Ego listed as mint. Velcro on the bottom completely obliterated the paper label. That is NOT mint condition.

I like and use Reverb a lot. No beefs on my end. Well, except for perhaps their insistence that unloaded speaker cabs be listed under "parts." That sucks.

16. bkb1984

bkb1984 Supporting Member

You’re pretty cool and stuff.

17. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

Did CME sell it? Smart move on their part if they did EVERYTHING is going to change & they're going to have to figure out a whole new business model or they won't make it.
    Same, 178 transactions & zero problems. I have over 700 documented transactions on eBay but I did a ton more than that. I haven't even looked on eBay in a couple years though.
    This has been a hobby since around 96' & I know on eBay you couldn't (not sure about now) that's a BS policy for the EXACT reason of what happened to you. Makes no sense, filtering feedback like that is bad business again for this exact reason.

18. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Reverb has gotten worse by the day and I'd happily consider an alternative if a viable one appears.

I won't even get into my frustrations with the platform but the buyers have certainly gone from a community of players and gearhounds to an online equivalent of a "bad neighborhood".

secretsoundz, larsjen, stonem and 4 others like this.
  19. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

My experience is mostly positive overall. I do think that Reverb started out very seller-friendly, and the buyers seemed to be higher quality and well informed about gear. As it has grown, Reverb has moved more to the middle (but not as bad as eBay), and the quality of buyers has gone down (not Reverb's fault).

If you are selling, you really need to take good pics and describe your item accurately and thoroughly to cover yourself.

If you are a buyer, look for sellers that are doing the above. :)

20. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Huh?

In what way was it quick?