I need treble boost help.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Randaddy, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

I recently bought a Vox AC15CC (with the Wharfedale speaker) and then found a Vox alnico blue speaker for cheap. It sounds amazing!

Now I want to add a treble boost for an alternate tone, but...
    while researching treble boosts (I've never had one), I discovered that they were originally designed for the Normal channel of an AC30. Since the AC15CC is a top boost channel, would a treble boost sound good?
    Isn't the top boost channel already "treble boosted"?

Experienced treble boost users... what do you think?

Thanks.

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

i don't think so, of course there are no hard/fast rules that you can't use a certain pedal into a certain amp, the majority of famous rangemaster/vox tones are coming courtesy of the (very dark) normal channel. Rory Gallagher, Brian May, Ritchie Blackmore, etc. It will probably just sound really bright and not add as much saturation with the top boost channel unless maybe you have the treble all the way down on the amp. I believe there is also a bright-cap mod you can do on the AC15 to kill some of the highs on the amp.

3. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Nup, sounds orrible' in the top boost... :D

4. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

I've never owned a Vox, but if you're already using the top boost channel, you might just add a dirty boost instead of a treble boost. (I'm a big fan of the dirty boost.)

5. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

Thanks everybody.

Bloodlemons, what is a "dirty boost". I'm not familiar with that. It sounds like a possibility.

6. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

A dirty boost is just what it sounds like: a boost with a little bit of grit in there. Not quite a clean boost, not quite an overdrive. An MXR Micro-Amp will do it. My favorite at the moment is the Tone Factor 75 Special. My other favorite is the Keeley Katana (they say it's a clean boost, but it's not, in my experience, especially if you pull out the knob for the second stage). One I've been thinking about picking up is the Catalinbread Varioboost, which can do clean or dirty (I hear) and allows you to select which frequencies you boost (actually, this might be the solution to your problem; the Varioboost has a smooth sweep of the full frequency spectrum, so you can probably find a frequency to boost to approximate the treble booster sound without tearing your head off with highs). Other people seem to have a lot of luck with the BYOC Tri-Boost, which has three different kinds of boost in one pedal.

Hope that helps. I couldn't live without a boost anymore. I don't even keep an OD on my board, just boost and fuzz.

Good luck!

:phones

7. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Don't forget a lot of TB clones today have full range settings, essentially making them a "dirty boost". They are not all the same "full range" though so some might sound better than others with your amp.

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Rather then get a treble booster I would also consider a Tim pedal if I was you. Treble boosters are very cool but you might be able to get most of those qualities and more with a Tim pedal.

9. Teahead

Teahead Member

I actually enjoyed a couple of Rangemaster clones when they were set to Mid Boost between my Tele and AC30's Top Boost Channel. They were awful in treble mode, but both the Beano and Java provided a useful tone mid boosting into the TB for sure. It ain't Brian May, but it's a gritty blues tone all of it's own. The Java, having a tone control, could be a safe bet to tailor the sound to you amp.

10. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I really like the Pro Guitar Shop demo of the Varioboost. You might want to check out the Throbak Overdrive Boost as well. I think that thing would sound awesome through the Vox.

11. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

Thanks guys for the info and suggestions.

Now I'm looking into other possibilities also. I've read that the AC15s love fuzz pedals. I've never owned one so this is another intriguing possibility. Then there is the option of simply using a good OD pedal.

I thought I was through with the pedal searching! :crazy

I guess not.

12. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I LOVE my "Phoenix Custom Electronics" Ranger pedal. It is a great way for you to see if you like TB's without the high cost of admission.

13. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

It's never over. :munch

14. roblovesolives

roblovesolives Member

AC15 sounds really good with a Hotcake. I've got a Tiny Terror which is pretty similar to an AC15 and that sounds really good with a Treble Booster. I use a Scott's Crispy Cream which they don't make anymore but if you can get one of those you should be laughing.

15. roblovesolives

roblovesolives Member