I need your help to decide buying a Les Paul or Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by efe9999, May 2, 2015.

1. efe9999

efe9999 Member

I am new in this forum so I don't know there is a subject like this. I want to play both blues and heavy metal. I really like Fender SRV Strats tone but it looks like I can't play heavy metal with it. Gibson Les Paul Standard is really nice for heavy metal but do you think it is as good as Fender Strats while playing blues ? Which one do you recommend ? If I bought Fender how can I get heavy metal tones ? (I am going to use it with Blackstar HT-5CR.)

2. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

Strats can do metal if you swap in some humbuckers - just ask Iron Maiden's Dave Murray.

Les Pauls can definitely do blues - just ask Peter Green, Luther Allison, Duane Allman, Joe Perry, Paul Kossoff, Mike Bloomfield, Billy Gibbons ...

3. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

Or just buy an SSH Strat.

4. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Yeah and OP needs to do much more research, we can't help with this apples and oranges thread.

5. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Yeah . Talk about 2 guitars that are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. Both can do blues.Not all LPs can do Heavy Metal (unless you swap pickups). I recommend spending ALOT more time with both. I have strats and a 335 . You may want to consider getting both eventually and decide which is the biggest priority.

6. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

You can play metal, blues, or any number of other styles of music on either guitar. You may prefer the tone or feel of one or the other, but it's not as simple as Strats for blues, Les Pauls for metal. You don't even necessarily need humbuckers; Ritchie Blackmore did just fine with SSS Strats in Deep Purple and Rainbow. If you really need more gain than a SC pickup will put out, just use a boost pedal.

Spend a few hours in a good guitar store. Play a number of different Strats and LPs, including both SSS and SSH (or HSH) Strats. Try a few other things like an SG or a PRS. See what speaks to you.

7. efe9999

efe9999 Member

Thank you for your answers. I have one more question. Is it possible to get an Iron Maiden or Avenged Sevenfold tone with SSS Strat? Do you recommend any effect pedal ?

8. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

Think outside the box....go buy a Tele.

9. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

I have been surprised at how close to the neck position of a Strat I can get from my Les Paul. Also, Peter Green's LP tone sounded great for blues. If I had to choose one or the other I would pick the Les Paul.

SRV did not typically use the in-between positions on his Strat so much as the neck position or at least that is what I hear in his tone. Just play the neck position cleaner for blues. The dirty full rolled off rhythm pickup of an LP has never sounded good to me. It needs clarity and some top to shine at its best IMO. Either that or it gets better taking the Neal Schon/Santana route.

Another aspect to consider is how different the two guitars feel to play. I didn't like the feel of a Strat but the LP felt very comfortable. I played only Les Pauls for years. I eventually got used to a Strat and now have two. Someone suggested a Tele. I have two of those and they are a compromise in feeling between the two body styles. It is a single-cut and trypically two-pickup guitar (without a middle potentially getting in the way when picking) like the LP.

EDIT: Regarding the Tele, the neck will not feel anything like a Les Paul's. The neck feels more like the Strat.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  10. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

It would be tough. You have to understand that single coil pickups are by nature much noisier than humbuckers. If you were to take an SSS strat, set to the bridge pickup, and then run through a high gain amp, or through a high gain pedal, the gain is going to enhance the noise as well. So to get a good high gain sound with a single coil pickup, without the unwanted noise, is a challenge.

If you want one guitar to cover both blues and metal, you probably want an SSH guitar, preferable with coil tapping on the bridge humbucker. And quite frankly, neither Fender or Gibson have the best offerings for this configuration (at least in my opinion).

11. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

I have both.
    You might not like playing a Les Paul.
    Have the right amp and OD pedal for heavier tone.

12. hotmod

hotmod Member

Get a 335 , great for blues and power chords or a Flying V which is the closest humbucking sound to a stratocaster, same goes for SG.

13. Strathog

Strathog Supporting Member

You can get Les Paul tones from a Strat but you cant make a Les Paul sound like a Strat.....

14. straightblues

straightblues Member

There are some very highly playable guitars for cheap these days. I would suggest you get something like a used MIM Stat for $300 and get a cheap metal guitar.

15. efe9999

efe9999 Member

I already have a MIM Blacktop Strat. Now I am thinking about there is a lot difference between MIM and American one.

16. Bluesman1026

Bluesman1026 Member

You could by a strat and just play blues....LOL

17. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

Tell that to David Gilmour although he used a Les Paul with P90's on Another Brick in the Wall. No one would know it based on results and his reputation for being one of the most famous Strat players. You can get the full on neck and bridge position tones just not the between position tones, with humbucker or P90.

18. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Not nearly as much as there used to be. Blacktops are nice guitars.

19. fool

fool Uncouth Savage Gold Supporting Member

You want a Flying V

Does Metal:
    [​IMG]

and blues:

[​IMG]

20. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

:facepalm