I need your opinions..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by underdog, Sep 19, 2008.

1. underdog

underdog Member

I'm going to buy a cheap and small tube amp for my dorm room and narrowed my choices to 2.

Crate V18-112 & Peavey Valveking 112

This amp should have nice clean tones because I use pedals for the driven sound, be approximately in the same size, the min power should be 15 watts and the price should be max 400$.

So which one should I go with? Or any other suggestions?
    I usually play 60's 70's rock blues and sometimes those virtuoso stuff.

2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

3. underdog

underdog Member

yeah I know its too much power but this amp must handle some small gigs or rehersals with band. well, I think crate is a better choice for me. I don't need to crank it when practising.

4. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Ah, I see. Didn't mention the gigging part. Okay, in that case, it really is which you think sounds better. You will have plenty with the 18 watt Peavey, and 50 watts is usually overkill for most settings. I would check Harmony Central for reviews of both for reliability issues since they both are lower priced amps. Good luck

5. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Go get a Valve Jr head, a BitMo kit, some new tubes, and a nice 1x12 (or 2x12 if you wanna spring for it) cab. You'll come out ahead money wise and have a better sounding amp than either of your two choices.

Bam: http://thetubestore.com/bmspanky.html

Mine is technically set up with the "Cranky" kit with a vintage GE short plate in the preamp and it sits on top of an open back Marshall 2x12 with G12T-75's. It smokes for a 5 watt amp. Easily giggable in small venues, and anything larger is why they made microphones and PAs. :D

6. underdog

underdog Member

oh, I'm so sorry I also didnt tell you that I live in Turkey. My mom will travel to US next month so I'll order the amp to her so it should be small and light. Unfortunately, she cant carry a head and a cab :( she's just a little women you know :D

In addition, I cant try both of this amps because they are not avaible in here. You may ask, why you dont buy an amp from a local store? The answer is, they are sooo expensive and I cant afford that right now.

edit: couldnt find a harmony central review for the crate

7. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Will wall voltage be a concern?

8. underdog

underdog Member

no, I'll use a transformator