• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I no longer gig with big amps.

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
I gigged Fractal FM3, loud FRFR raised up behind me for backline and stage wash and fantastic tone to FOH most gigs, decent IEM tone (I use low volume IEM for vocal references).
Switched to Synergy SYN-30 modular preamp combo (plus pedals) and realized “loud home use” is almost equal to gig level (9:00 on volume was enough to pull me almost completely out of the PA). But, sounded and felt great onstage.
Moving to Maz 18 mkII which supposed to have excellent master volume control and will mic or use Suhr Ace for FOH/IEMS. I have zero doubt the Maz will be loud enough and cut with cleanish base tones. But I know it’s a loud, mid forward amp. I’m also the only guitarist and no horns or keys.
If you don’t require clean headroom it’s very easy to say 15 regular watts will cut it. But those of us that use clean/cleanish (with the Maz I expect some hair) you definitely need bigger, better quality iron.
If I didn’t have in-depth sound experience and didn’t use my PA 90% of the time I would have to go 30 watts, big iron OR force silent stage, total DI, total commitment to PA/IEMS.
My buddy gigs Vox practice amp not even the good one, maybe 10 watts? Power trio, mic’d loud but pretty muddy/shrill/piercing IMHO. But, he gigs more than me so...
EDIT: IMHO turning sideways or even facing back wall is ridiculous, freaking waste and usually sounds like ass especially because FOH guys don’t mic properly, bad in room reflections, etc. Local guy at big room did that with a Marshall 4x12 and it sounded like ass, all muted bottom end and lower mids yuk!

mattthehoople

If you can find a gig...:thud

I think you still can at singer/songwriter bars and bluegrass stuff. I just totally suck as a bluegrass musician. Those folks are REALLY good. I just recently purchased a decent flattop and have been, kind of, "delving into" old classic bluegrass music, just to get some historical perspective.

But now, I have this penchant for a big upright bass, and going down THAT rabbit hole is very expensive.

The music I love is like Snarky Puppy, you know, kind of "no boundaries", just following the music wherever it takes you. If its jazz, then jazz it is. But if it goes Eastern European baltic, then we take it there.

I think bluegrass could be a path toward a lot of different influences and themes that potential audiences might find interesting, so long as its still authentically approached and rendered.

Sadly, I cannot stand modern, auto-tuned country, and that seems to be the big draw here in the Southeast US. Its so cliche that I can't listen to even a couple of bars before I'm reaching for the radio dial.

Maybe I just don't understand it. .

It could be me.

Supercubziggy

I gig exclusively with My Suhr SL68 and a Kerry Wright 4x12, or my Bogner 100B and the same 4x12. Up until the Rona hit, we were gigging with a pretty good mix of national acts that were mostly rock. Several of them have come through with a Fractal or Kemper or even a small combo. Nobody moved, nobody grooved, nobody danced. It sounds hollow from the audience. We have 2 guitars, both 100watt heads, and a bass player with an SVT head and 8x10 cab. We are crushing bands. More mids, more bottom, just more. For our style of music there is no other way. We are probably too loud, but the PA is mostly used for vocals and to supplement our sound. I cant imagine not having that grind of the big amps. Our singer loves it and more importantly so do the chicks in the front row! Seriously....

deepcove17

This is not meant to be a quarrel, bragging or provocation.

I just wonder who here gigs with, let's say, lunchbox style amps - think Tiny Terror wattage, around 15w. Of course think venues with at least decent PA.

Personally, last gigs I had, I took my Orange OR15 with PPC112 and it sounded glorious, mostly because I was able to crank the master volume to have output tubes cooking. When I was gigging with my Rockerverbs I was never able to turn it up to get a nice, open and airy tone - soundguys were asking to turn things down.
I have been gigging with an OR15 into a 2X12 cab for a couple years....get that master to 40-45% with the gain at 30-35% and WOW....very nice blend of pre and power saturation especially with EH or Tun Sol EL84's. Cleans up with guitar volume, turn it up for crunch and hit a TS for sustaining leads. Perfect for Classic rock with G12H or Greenbacks.

DeVilleDude

It seems like half a lifetime ago since I've been gigging, but my last band had 2 keyboards, 2 electrics plus the singer's lightly strummed acoustic, bass and drums. Sometimes congas and sax would sit in. Every, and I mean EVERY time I thought I could cut with a deluxe rather than my DeVille, I was wrong, and both the band and the crowd let me know that. When you find yourself running out of clean headroom, the only solution is more power.

tonegangster

Gold Supporting Member
I beg to differ. My band is rather loud and since I've been gigging I never ran out of headroom. OK, maybe because barely play clean tone. Always distorted.
1) Start a troll thread (that you know people will argue their perspective)
2) Proclaim that you never run out of clean headroom.
3) Admit you do run out of clean headroom
4) Disagree with people telling you their thoughts. (that you believe are wrong)
5) Argue because you think you are right.

Great thread man!!! :bonk

Fatherflot

I used to always gig with a 50 watt Marshall and 412. The club owner or the sound guy would always tell us to turn down the volume. That was with my volume barely at 3 out of 10.

After severely pulling a muscle in my back from lifting my 412, I bought a hot rod deluxe 112 combo as a pedal platform. It's not the same as the half stack. Sometimes it delivers; sometimes it doesn't. However it is easier to move around.

I'm still on a quest to find the perfect smaller amp for club gigs.
I know from experience that a Hot Rod Deluxe 112 can make a whole neighborhood hate you real quick.

middy

I think you still can at singer/songwriter bars and bluegrass stuff. I just totally suck as a bluegrass musician. Those folks are REALLY good. I just recently purchased a decent flattop and have been, kind of, "delving into" old classic bluegrass music, just to get some historical perspective.

But now, I have this penchant for a big upright bass, and going down THAT rabbit hole is very expensive.

The music I love is like Snarky Puppy, you know, kind of "no boundaries", just following the music wherever it takes you. If its jazz, then jazz it is. But if it goes Eastern European baltic, then we take it there.

I think bluegrass could be a path toward a lot of different influences and themes that potential audiences might find interesting, so long as its still authentically approached and rendered.

Sadly, I cannot stand modern, auto-tuned country, and that seems to be the big draw here in the Southeast US. Its so cliche that I can't listen to even a couple of bars before I'm reaching for the radio dial.

Maybe I just don't understand it. .

It could be me.
It’s not you. It’s insipid pablum.

This is not meant to be a quarrel, bragging or provocation.

I just wonder who here gigs with, let's say, lunchbox style amps - think Tiny Terror wattage, around 15w. Of course think venues with at least decent PA.

Personally, last gigs I had, I took my Orange OR15 with PPC112 and it sounded glorious, mostly because I was able to crank the master volume to have output tubes cooking. When I was gigging with my Rockerverbs I was never able to turn it up to get a nice, open and airy tone - soundguys were asking to turn things down.
This is where the problem for me starts , yes 20-35 watts it's ideal, however all the amps in wattage class do not have all the features like the 50-100 watt models. Companies should make some 20-30 watt amps with all the features of the big daddies.

ClickClack

I no longer gig with big amps.

Hah, what a coincidence! For the past 11 months, I no longer gig!

Tony-Cliffton

Silver Supporting Member
Madison Square Living Room? 30 watts tops. That’s with no drummer.
Drummers are overrated anyway. I can count to 4. (Sarcasm alert). But, really... drummers?

mdog114

I’ve been using my 1x12 Hot Cat 15 for almost 20 years on 90% of my live playing. In last 3 years I’ve added a Runt 20 head through a 2x10 and that combo gets a lot of action.

I have four heads in my control room. I have the ability to send them out to a number of different cabinets all mic’d up live and loud in the live room. There’s an ODS30, a ‘63 BF Bandmaster, a Mesa Boogie Tremoverb and the just recently acquired Marshall SV20.

I can run all these big amps full tilt if I need to and not get bothered by neighbors or police, so they offer another great palette of sounds when needed.

The only time I’ve used these big amps live is outdoor gigs. I can’t see using a half-stack and a 50 watt Marshall head at anything smaller than 100 seat venue.

BTW, the Marshall SV20 is just a simply a jaw dropping amplifier experience! I wound it up, full strength and logged about 4 hours on it through a 4x12 Marshall cab. I just brought it into the control room and my next test will be to hook it up through my RLIR.

Last edited:

blackmonday

Silver Supporting Member
40 or 50 tube watts is the sweet spot for me. I love my mini rectifier but it doesn’t cut it with our drummer. My Mesa F-50 has done me right over the years.

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
Funny thread, and I'm sure it's just for our entertainment. I have yet to want to gig with a lo-wattage amp. EVER. . In ANY of my bands I've been in, well since 1992 when I did some gigs with a Mesa Studio-22. Anyway, I haven't gigged since October (due to C19 and Vermont winters) , but will start up again around April-ish. I'll continue to use about 50 watters, (Splawn Competition currently) for my gigs, as it fits perfectly. When I used my Fractal Ax8 , I used a 4-el84 Engl power amp (35 watts) , or 50 watter for that. . I haven't gigged with my 100 watters in awhile, but 40-50 seems about perfect. I actually think I'll use my 100 watt Mesa Tremoverb again this year, but I use only 2 El34's or KT77's in it, so only about 50 watts. 0 nada, NO desire to use a small amp for gigs with this band or my last few, BUT I can see using very small wattage amps with different style bands. That's what it's about
Carry on with your bad selves

Eric

Trending Topics

Top Bottom