I no longer like the SRV Strat sound

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by effectsman, Oct 20, 2019.

1. effectsman

effectsman Member

Listening to the latest TPS episode where they had Matt Schofield on with his Strat and his Mad Professor Supreme pedal of which part is a modified tube screamer, they had sections with Matt playing with his band.

I think the Supreme sounds a bit clearer in the top end and not as mid humped as a regular TS. I realize though that I’ve really grown to dislike that really clear and screaming top end that Strats produce through this type of pedal into a big clean amp. Am I in the minority here at TGP in not liking this SRV tone?

I think I have felt the same about Clapton for a long time. Love his playing and note choices, just not his tone, neither on record or when I’ve seen him live. I think I prefer to push a Strat more in a PAF direction with a pedal, rather than a drive down volume maxed on a TS. Maybe I should just give in and stop trying to get an ES335 tone out of a Strat. LOL

Matt Dillon, awp, Pezza and 17 others like this.
  2. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

I never thought of Matt as a SRV guy. Sure, he's a big fan, but he never played like him nor did he really sound like him.

I went to one of his gigs about three weeks ago and the Two Rock + Supreme OD combo sounded nothing like Stevie. Way more polite albeit fatter rather than the stingy and heavier sound of Stevie (which I personally prefer).

3. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

Yeah, I sometimes get bored with those sounds. Not that MS sounds at all like SRV, but the whole generic fat Strat, TS, Fender amp thing (which Mick so desperately desires to emulate) can easily get boring after 10 minutes.

4. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I don’t like TS pedals, so I guess I am there with you... kinda. Love strats into Fender amps, SRV was an amazing player and influential on me in my much younger days. :aok

dansworld and tazzboy like this.
  5. soma

soma Supporting Member

I really think it's as much about how you hit the guitar as about the rest of the signal chain.

6. FracStrat

FracStrat Supporting Member

7. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I was never a SRV fan due to the songs themselves. His tone is really nice. I appreciate the tone he made. It’s not a tone I’d ever care to make though. While everyone was trying to sound like SRV I was off to the side trying to sound like Ronson Angel #9.

8. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

Listen to more Larry Davis. Fenton Robinson's tone on this's great:

I like it much better than SRV. Jimmie Vaughan's tone is preferable as well.

zwiefldraader, bigeric, gmann and 7 others like this.
  9. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Really?

Check out a song called Red Dragon from his last record.

dani_boy79 likes this.
  10. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

a Strats' volume knob working a ~ unity gain Treble Booster sounds better to me, never much a fan of the TS, except a SD-1

11. DJ_61

DJ_61 Member

I recognise the great talent that Stevie was, but I have never dared to say out loud that I do not like his playing, his tone nor his voice. Whenever I listen to a demo and I hear those first notes of Lenny, I log out.

12. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

I like SRVs sound a lot but was never a Strat player and never tried to emulate him. The problem was the generation of derivative Strat players who kept pushing that Texas high powered blues thru Strat image and sound in slightly different flavors. It got old really fast. That takes nothing away from SRV though. You could say the same about EVH.

13. R Weaver FX

R Weaver FX Supporting Member

Every guitar player is horrible. Let’s all take up the tuba and harp on how it doesn’t sound like a sax. That should fill up another 25 years at least.

johnny q, doctorx, K-man and 37 others like this.
  14. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

That's just a well played cover of Voodoo Chile.

Warren Mendonsa and Danny D like this.
  15. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

I like it but my tastes have expended too. It isn't the tone I shoot for my own playing but theres nothing wrong with liking or disliking it. To each their own.

Salt Lake Bob and dg87 like this.
  16. Ps28

Ps28 Member

I didn't like him when he came out and still don't. Prefer his brother's sound and tone. Better note selection and restraint.

C-4, ChristianDK, stanshall and 3 others like this.
  17. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

For real, I get sick of hearing the same 5 licks, some of the slower stuff is better but he just keeps bending the same note .... Like 300 times a song

C-4, Lucidology, buzzp and 1 other person like this.
  18. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

I preferred his tone when he still used Free The Tone stuff.

19. ellis dee

ellis dee Member

oh great, i finally get a tube screamer only to find out they are no longer in fashion.

20. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

SRV got bored with SRV. What I mean by that is he had at least two iterations of his tone recipe. Everything before "In Step" was Fender blackface cleans pushed by pedals, and more or less a reproduction of a live stage setup. For the "In Step" sessions, his tones changed. Not dramatically, but I noticed the difference on the first radio cut, "Crossfire."