I Now Need A Ric

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Telecaster62, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

Saw Unknown Hinson Saturday night for the first time live. He was playing a Rickenbacker 620 through a Vox AC 30 and his tone and playing were awesome. I've never even thought about owning a Ric and now I think I need one. GAS.......Damn IT!!!!!!!

2. Doodad

Doodad Member

Everyone needs a Ric. I can't imagine Unknown playing one, but so be it.

The 620 is my all time favorite model. I had one for awhile but was forced to sell. I want that thing back badly.

3. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

lol.

As soon as I'd seen the title of this thread, I knew Ol' Hinson had something to do with it.

-Jon

4. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

You guys out there that love Ric's, please, tell me more about them. I don't think I've ever even played one with the exception of a 4001 bass.

5. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Best play one before you buy one for sure.

Ric's are cool in thier own way but feel and play different that almost any other guitar I know. Some think that the necks are too narrow at the nut. Their tone is unique too, but you already know that.

6. Mudder

Mudder Member

The 620 I had was a great guitar. I thought the neck was fine, if a little narrow. The most surprising thing to me was just how versatile the high output single coils were. That guitar could cover everything from jangly cleans to hair metal. Awesome guitar.

7. Targ

Targ Member

zzz

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  8. Rumble

Rumble Instrumental Rocker Silver Supporting Member

Never played a 620 before, but I have a 360 and a 381 John Kay model. I like Rics a lot, one of my favorite guitar brands. At the moment, I have a 1975 481 on the way (pictured below). There's a pretty steep backorder on Rics right now, but there's still a few available if you look around. Something to keep in mind on the 620 ( and a few other models), the 2007 and up versions have returned to the narrower headstock shape, which looks a little better (about a 1/4 inch narrower).

Just pulled the trigger on this:

[​IMG]

9. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

Thanks folks, I'm definitely going to try and find a 620 to try out. The 620's pickups are high gain single coils if I'm not mistaken. Are they noisey? How do they compare to the 660's pickups? Thanks in advance.

10. Targ

Targ Member

zzz

11. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

:rotflmao:rotflmao

I like that. Wish more companies would do the same.

12. Targ

Targ Member

zzz

13. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

I did.
    Of course, for different reasons.

14. Targ

Targ Member

zzz

15. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

Of the 20-something Rics I've owned, not one was bought for the wood. It's just not a concern of mine. Every once in awhile I'll see one and think "Hmmm, nice top", but I've never said "Wait a minute, that 381 doesn't have the flashy PRS/Gibson maple on it, what gives?".

Of course, if I were interested in a 381, I would decide if the guitar was worth the asking price, not the grain of the wood it was made with.

I know I'm in the minority, but it's not something I think about when selecting a Ric. I thought the 'luck of the draw' comment was funny, that's all.

16. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Hey Targ, I with you man. I sometimes was over on the Ric page and if you say anything about Rics you not oly get it from JH but half of the other that are right up his you know where! :nono

Also, to anyone who buys a Ric guitar make sure that the guitar is right or can be made right before you buy it. If there is anything wrong with the neck, finish etc. they will come up with a thousand and one reason why there are NOT covering it under their warranty. Their warranty is so much of a joke that I don't even send in the registration card.

Now lets get to the guitars... I currently have a 381 12 string model and the wood flame is beautiful, Here's a link to some pics on the store's website. Check it out...

http://www.classicaxe.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=store.showItem&IndexNumber=1158

But I didn't buy it because of the looks, but because it was rather lighter that the two others I had played. They were both birdseye figures instead of flames and both were I would guess 1.5 to 2 lbs. heavier.

17. jay42

jay42 Member

It's hard to bend strings on a Ric. Seems to me the problem is the finished fretboard.

18. MSS

MSS Member

I bought one from a fellow TGP'er last fall and it really is a great guitar. Had it for sale (momentary lapse of judgement) a while ago but came to my senses. It's a 12 string but can also be strung up as a six........tried it just to see if the nut lets you do that and yep, it does work! But I like it as a 12.......more jangle. I did get a JangleBox and it makes it really open up!! Gotta love my ricky!!

[​IMG]

19. Joisey

Joisey Member

For you that might be. I'm not all that happy with the fretboard either but I can adapt to it. It takes time to bond with a RIC. It is not everyone's cup of tea but you have to want it.

20. English Jim

English Jim Member

Why would you want to bend strings on a Ric?:stir

Definately try and play one before you buy. I think they are the absolute worst gtr. to play that you can buy. Necks on most models are very narrow and the finger board is lacquered and just doesn't feel good. Having said that if you want that sound - particularly the 12 string thing it's the only way to go. I have a 360/12 - the double bound one from the early '70's - looks killer plays like crap - and a newer 660/12 sounds nearly as good as the 360 but plays way better with it's wider neck. Doesn't feed back either.

FWIW - I spoke to Jim Hall at the NAMM show last year (2008) - he's as big a d*** in real life as he is on line. He's VERY lucky he sells a product that people want - despite his and the company's total lack of customer service.