I now own a DT25 and I like it!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Axe-Man, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I nervously took the plunge today and picked up a DT25 head and I've got to say that this is a great little amp.

I wanted something versitile for gigging and here it is.

It has great cleans (seriously nice TBH) and it really does cover a wide variety of tones with the Class A/AB, Pentode/Triode, negative feedback stuff. I was getting a great bluesy tone by using the Recto model in triode and Class A with the gain turned right down and the poweramp pushed.

The sound is close enough to a decent tube amp that you don't focus on it being half digital and just enjoy the sounds you get from it. It doesn't sound digital but it doesn't always sound 'quite' like a quality tube rig. It sounds great though and depending on the sound you dial in, it sounds extremely tubey.

The dynamics are nice though the front end isn't as nice as something the 11R or a tube amp. But it's nice to play and very responsive.

I can't wait to cranked it fully (I've given it a fairly decent run for a few hours) and see how it performs.

I feel that the Topology 1 and III are too quiet in comparison to say a clean sound from Top II but that can be pretty easily fixed with the HD 500. It's decently loud though it's not going to shake the place like a 50 watter (the DT50 seemed alot louder even though I'm currently running it through two Orange 1x12's CB cabs stacked on top of each other).

Everyone that has ever said the following is absolutely correct...the HD series sounds MUCH better when run through the DT amps when compared to running it into a poweramp or fx return.

Now this brings up a question...why is this? I've run the HD through SS amps, dedicated tube poweramps, FX returns on numerous amps and now the DT and why is this? Is the HD gimped to not work to its full when it's not used with the DT? Seems a bit odd as I've spent alot of time tweaking the thing and it just seems to need hardly any tweaks to get a good tone via the DT. It's simple where I previously would tweak and tweak even adding pre and post EQs to get it sounding 'right'. Just plug in the HD to the DT, adjust to taste and it sounds good...hmm...

For the money (espec if you can pick up 2/3 of the dream rig - HD and DT - second hand) it's a killer bar/small gig rig. I don't personally think you need the variax as any decent guitar can be dialed in a 100 different ways with the 20 odd preamps you have at your disposal or you can tailor any sounds for a bright or dark guitar using the stuff sitting in front of you.

I hope it's ultimately loud 'enough' but I do have a 4x12 for any extra ompff if I need it.

So far, two thumbs up.

2. ToneCaptain

ToneCaptain Member

Sounds promising!

I tested the DT25 in a store and was very impressed with the tones and response of the amp.

However, I thought that the clean tone in voicing I would start to break already at fairly low volume, and I share the same impression with you, that overall voicing I and III are quieter than the other two. You say that the HD500 would fix that problem... Can you tell me more about this?

Voicing II and IV are clearly loud enough for me.

3. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

I've been a Fender twin guy for 30 years. My go to clean patch for my hd/dt50 rig is a Park 75 topology II.

4. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

You can boost Top I and III with the HD's mixer. I think this should be fine. Alternatively, we can use the other preamps too (Bassman, Twin etc) to get a nice high headroom clean.

My wife even commented that it sounded very nice which is always a good sign.

5. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

HOW are you plugging the HD into the DT25/50? I think that's the key. I've only used it via Line6 Link which would have some obvious advantages over running analog into another amp.

1. I believe you get less Digital to Analog conversions using Line6 Link.
    2. Amp voicings are optimized for the HD settings using Line6 Link.

6. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Yes, you're absolutely right. With the 4cm you get an extra round of analogue to digital conversions which does effect the sound.

I found on my Plexi that I had to push both the presence and treble eq about 10-15% higher to componsate and it still had a little 'deadness' about it.

Using the L6 link was great (and extremely simple).

I tried using the HD into the front of the DT for some FX and that worked great as well.

I'll need to download all the patches which mimic (well nail) the stock topologies so I can use the HD and not feel the DT sounds better.

7. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

It's a really nice clean IMHO. On Class A Top II it's really chimey and warm.

8. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

I've been using class A/B topology II with the Park 75 for cleans and dirty stuff. I think the High gain on the Park sounds best in class A/B so I tweaked untill I found a clean I liked. Now when switching patches it's instant and quite. PM me if you want and I'll e-mail you my clean and dirty patches or, they are up on customtone under clintmartin.

9. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Cheers mate, I'll check out Custom Tone and see what I can download.

I just found something interesting when playing around...

You can actually change topology on the DT after you have selected an amp block with the HD.

So, whilst you can select say Top IV on the DT (which then selects the Recto preamp and associated class etc) you can select the Recto pre on the HD and then change the negitive feedback topology (still keeping the Recto preamp) on the DT and it saves on the HD. So you could run a Fender with zero negative feedback (Top III) or a Vox with negative feedback (anything other than Top III) which adds alot more flexibility.

I guess it's another interesting tonal element to the HD and DT system and it makes a audible difference.

I'm enjoying the low volume playing as I recently got myself some decent lower level studio ref monitors and I hated the HD with a passion running through it. This is much better even when the power section isn't even barely ticking over. Running through a guitar cab just sounds 'better'.

10. Johnny Vox

Johnny Vox Member

The whole time people were complaining about excessive tweaking/various issues in the HD I've been scratching my head because it sounds great to me! Seems like the DT is an integral part of that equation.

One thing's for sure, it's stupid easy to get good tones out of the HD/DT combo.

11. Git-fiddle guy

Git-fiddle guy Member

Congrats! Should make a wonderful combination! Enjoy it. Russ