I ordered a G&l Legacy Deluxe, what to expect?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kinkirsi, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

I just ordered a Legacy Deluxe, 12 weeks lead time they say. My main guitar is a Languedoc hollowbody, thought this would be a reasonably priced backup axe. They dicontinued the Basswood in this line for some reason, Northern Ash was available. I opted for the rosewood neck as opposed to maple, thought that might tame the "Zing" of the Northern Ash. The guitar comes with 2 vintage G&L single coils and a Duncan TB4 bucker in the bridge. I was wondering how the pickups were and tonally if I compromised with the Ash as opposed to the Basswood they use to use on this model. Any input would be appreciated, thanks..

2. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

3. crazy4blues

crazy4blues Member

Hey, Kinki: Will your guitar be one of the first PLEK guitars? G&Ls have had some recent issues with frets. If you're receiving your guitar at a music store, make sure that the set up is EXACTLY how you want it. There's no excuse for anything less. I wouldn't worry too much, but some folks on the Guitarsbyleo site have been noting some deficiencies of late for the newest G&L's.

I've not played a basswood body G&L, but I've played several maple and rosewood boards, and neither will lack for any snap or tone. The alnico pickups will sound about what you'd expect: vintage strat.

I hope you post pick when your new baby arrives! Cheers!

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Yes, the new G&L's are all pleked, so no issues there.

Kinkirisi, I think you'll be very happy with your new guitar. Basswood is a nice tone wood but soft and very susceptible to dings, dents, etc.

Duncan makes some nice stuff and the G&L alnicoV pups are real stratty sounding. I probably would have ordered it with the rosewood board too. Nice choice.

The worst thing you have to endure is the wait.

What color did you order?

Thanks,

Greg

5. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Thanks man! I'm curious to see the Plek set up as well! The store policy is free set ups for life, I'm cool with that, I'll def post when it arrives!

6. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Waiting sucks! I ordered the Honeyburst finish, no trem of course. I was going to get the S-500 but I think I'm afraid of the MFD pickups, have you heard the Duncan 'bucker G&l ships with? I have 59's in my hollowbody, never heard the TB4, thanks!:JAM

7. KRosser

KRosser Member

A superb guitar...

8. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Thanks man, I'm hoping so! Any thoughts on the TB4 'bucker they ship with?

9. John C

John C Supporting Member

The TB4 is the Fender-spaced (TB = "Trembucker") version of the SH4 JB humbucker. I've never really played a Strat-type with a full-sized JB in the bridge, but I did own a mid-90s Hamer Studio with the Duncan 59/JB combo. The JB was quite a bit hotter than the neck 59 - there was definitely a decent jump in volume going from neck pickup to bridge on my Hamer. However, I went to the Hamer from an early 90s PRS CE-24, and the jump from the '59 to the JB wasn't as much as the jump on the PRS with the Vintage Bass/HFS pickups. The JB seemed to have more of a treble sound or "bite" compared to the PRS, but a lot of that could be the difference in construction (mahogany body/set mahogany neck, thicker maple top on the Hamer compared to maple bolt-in neck/alder body/maple top on the PRS).

Here is a link to the SH4 on the Duncan site; if I didn't know that the "TB" was just the Fender-spaced version of the regular Duncan, I would have never found in on their site:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/humbuckersdescr.shtml#JB153Model

10. KRosser

KRosser Member

As the other post said, it's just a Fender-spaced Seymour JB. A really nice pickup, I think.

11. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

NOW you're asking...? ;)

I guess you'll find out in 12 weeks!

12. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

That's a pretty broad statement, with which I don't agree at all.

They have so many and they sound VERY different from each other. There's Legacy alnico, MFD S-500, MFD ASAT Classic neck, MFD ASAT Classic bridge, MFD ASAT BluesBoy bridge (not the same as the Classic), MFD ASAT Special (soapbar)...

I think some of them sound like utter ****, but others are among the best-sounding single coils I've ever played or heard. Which ones were you talking about?

13. KRosser

KRosser Member

I don't agree with this either. I happen to think the stock ASAT and Legacy singles are very good. That said, I prefer Lindys and have replaced them with Lindys from time to time, but it was never an urgent thing for me, again, as I think the stock ones are very good.

14. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Yeah - I also think the stock pickups are excellent. I replace them only 'cause I find noiseless a requirement for the things I do...

15. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Another vote for G&L pickups in their strat shaped guitars anyway. Nothing against the ASATs, I just have never lived with one for any length of time. The standard legacy pickups are awesome and you can get both vintage and non vintage tones out of them. For my #1 I went with the S500 and the MFDs because I can cover pretty much any sound with them. From AC/DC to ZZ top, and any Pop, Rock, or Blues tone in between.

I keep hearing that you can't get clean Jimmy or Stevie Ray tones out of the MFDs. Oh really? Yeah, too hot, too dark sounding... Really? Every description I've heard of Stevies (note the use of his and Jimmy's names as if they are personal friends :crazy ) #1 says something like "The pickups are not normal fenders, wether custom wound, or an error out of the fender factory, they have higher output and are distinctly dark sounding" :D People! They're called tone knobs! USE THEM!

16. KRosser

KRosser Member

And that's supposed to be a bad thing?

Wait - - I can't do that! STEVIE didn't do that! Arghhh...:worried

17. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

Ok...I will concede, and take back what I said....they are perfectly acceptable pickups...I have more experience with humbuckers than single coils, plus I have dealt with much older vintage G&Ls, so I guess they have improved a great deal. I just know that every pro player who played my G&L would remark "great guitar, but you gotta get rid of those pickups".

The pickups in my Legacy were made by Gotoh, and were pretty weak. G&L began making their own pickups in-house for the Fullerton Signature model around 1995, and eventually those found their way into other Legacy models.

The first Legacys had Seymour Duncan SSL Vintage pickups, and ran about 6.6k. The MFDs are only about 4.1k, but they have powerful ceramic magnets, and can push a tube amp much better than alnicos.

You gotta use your tone knobs on a Legacy.

18. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

And do you dress like a festive silk festooned cowboy on acid like Stevie sometimes did? "Desperado, you've been out buyin' sashes, did you die your own lashes, are your highlights too bright" :D

19. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Thanks for the replies, I'm sure the stock single coils will be fine. I'll post some pics and clips when it arrives.

20. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Kinkirsi,

Good to see you back around man! Hows music been for you since the band issues?

I've been eyeing G&L guitars, and plan on one as my next purchase - please definately post with your thoughts when it comes in!

Why so long for the wait? Is this standard in the buisness? I know its nothing compared to the wait for a custom, but I guess i just figured it would be max, a 6 week wait...

Brian