I ordered an MDEQ, how's it go with Tim/Timmy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cbpickin, Jul 30, 2006.

1. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I ordered a Mountain Dew EQ the other day before my Tim/Timmy combo showed up and I'm wondering how necessary it will be in my rig if I'm already running the Tim. The eq section of the Tim is pretty amazing already.
    I don't currently have any kind of eq pedal, so I know it will come in handy from time to time with different guitars and amps. But, I'm wondering if it will be a little redundant or unnecessary on my gigging board if Tim is already there.

How many of you are running both and how are they working together?

2. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I have both. Since I use the Tim for OD, it is good to have the MDEQ for clean.

Tim is a great pedal, But, MDEQ is more hi-fi and transparent, low noise etc. The op-amps in MDEQ are used in some pretty hi-end stereo stuff. IIRC

3. erksin

erksin Member

They don't compete with each other at all IMO - I find the MDEQ really helpful boosting my Timmy with added mids, and it also is amazing for clean stuff. You might even try it in the loop of the Tim as well.

You picked up some GREAT pedals this week man!

4. drolling

drolling Member

Yep.. it's one serious EQ pedal - the guts are a work of art and the buffer's very handy if you're running a string of true-bypass pedals..

I haven't decided whether I prefer the Mountain Dew or the Sea Blue EQ in TIM's loop, but it's a nice problem to have..

That blackbird's really gonna sing with those pedals in front!

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I use a Boss EQ-20 for EQing, but any decent EQ pedal is a must-have for your rig if you are in a large band or if you want a number of tonal options. I think you will find that your MDEQ will surprise you.

Type in "EQ primer" on google to find out a lot of cool info on EQing

6. cbpickin

lol! I know it worked out that way. I have been waiting for Tim/timmy for quite a while and then everything came at once. Like drolling said, I could have many worse problems.
    Now I just need time to experiment with all the options.

7. RobertS.

RobertS. Member

Hopefully, this week is my turn!:drool My Timmy's on it's way & Brian will likely ship out my MDEQ tomorrow (if paypal doesn't screw us around!).
    Can't wait. I think both pedals will be keepers!

8. BrianB

BrianB Member

Who makes this Mountain Dew pedal? :Spank :D

Really though, the MD>Tim, Tim>MD is one of my favorite combos. Can get 90% of the overdrive tones I would ever want... Even ones I don't want like scooped metal. It's frustrating when you have an overdrive you like the voice of but you it doesn't come out in the mix or it doesn't blend in well enough. Ok, ok... This is sounding like an infomercial, I'll stop now :)

9. RobertS.

RobertS. Member

10. cbpickin

Hey Brian, sorry about that. DOH! :jo
    LOL, look at my post time, 12 am! I was a little tired and coming down off of a caffeine high. I don't even like Mountain Dew. Maybe my body was just craving another caffeine boost! :drool

I'm glad to hear about the good news about the match-up. I didn't think I could go wrong, but really curious how people are using the two together.

11. MarcJ

MarcJ Member

I just ordered a Morning Dew, should give me alot more tonal control for my Carr Mercury, especially for midrange.

12. Lution

Lution Supporting Member

I just got my MDEQ last week. I really needed to tame the bass on my Blackbird because the bass control on it is so subtle it practically does nothing. The MDEQ does exactly what I need. I'm using it as a dedicated EQ.

13. BrianB

BrianB Member

14. Lution

Lution Supporting Member

Your Pedal Rocks, Brian!!!

[​IMG]

15. DaSkip

DaSkip Member

You know, I was in on the Morning Dew tour box and I loved it. I have one of Brian's Letter Openers on my board. I already had purchased a BJF SBEQ prior the testing the Mountain Dew. Both are great EQ's, I think the SBEQ adds a bit of hair in a good way. I could happily get on with the Mountain Dew as well. Yep, they're both great. :AOK