• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I Placed A Few Guitars On CL

axe4me

WTF are people thinking with trade offers?
Can I trade my oar for your yacht?
After 2 days, I want to delete.

RJT

I feel the same way.
I get a TON of.. "Can I trade you my ten POS guitars for your one good one?". Then, get offended when you (more or less) tell them to piss off. Then you get the, "BUT these guitars all put together cost more than your ONE guitar!". Ugh, gotta love people.

DanPaul

Silver Supporting Member
Then there is always this: I am fine with price and condition of your item. My mover can give you a check, what is your address?

Or this: I am fine with price and condition of your item, give me your Paypal account number, email address and password.

Lowballers are an annoyance but scammers take that annoyance to a much higher level. Gotta love Craigslist!

mystixboi

Silver Supporting Member
Oh yeah... I hear you. Someone traded me a guitar worth $1000 less than my Suhr

rotlung

I always put NO TRADES three times in capital letters at the last line of an ad, and people still send me ridiculous trade offers.

tamader74

You haven't LIVED until you post in Northern Mi. CL,...I would sometime put 'Trades for other quality musical gear considered' (shouldn't have DONE that),...Then I tried the 3X NO TRADES myself.

Still got the 'ol, "I have a garden tractor out back, when I parked it there 5 yr.'s ago it ran great...". Then one guy called with an old outboard motor, and he had other things to add with it, and kept telling me the value of these old outboards, and was getting pissed at me.

I finally told him, "You know this amp. has 6 knobs",...he replied "Yeah, so what",...I said back "Well, I was wondering if you would be able to read them, seeing's how you can't read this ad.",...He hung up on me (LOL). Tom

TexasHeartRush

Silver Supporting Member
Here in Austin Texas, trade offers are often handguns. If you have a guitar, you can get a firearm here. I get bizarre trade offers.

BTW, here at least, the term 'mint' or 'Excellent Condition can mean everything from utterly disgustingly filthy, to mildly filthy. And don't dare ask to adjust a truss rod before a purchase. The seller will think you are into voodoo! LOL!

jape

At least you are getting responses that appear to be from real people.

Lately I only seem to receive generic / automated emails asking if the item is still available. Typically have poor grammar or misspelled words & they never mention anything about my listing.

"Hello i will like to know if this item is still available for sale"

or

"Still available. For sale"

K-Line

Vendor
I have sold much on cl. You have to just push past the crap. Trust me, I get crazy stuff where people want me to take a trade and then credit one of my dealers for the amount because the dealer would not take their trade in. That is what makes the world go round!

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
At least you are getting responses that appear to be from real people.

Lately I only seem to receive generic / automated emails asking if the item is still available. Typically have poor grammar or misspelled words & they never mention anything about my listing.

"Hello i will like to know if this item is still available for sale"

or

"Still available. For sale"
Ugh, those are the worst.

I'm in NYC, so I've had good experiences with CL overall. Lots of musicians here, so I can usually move things if I've priced them right. But yeah, the wacky trade offers never cease to amaze me.

Conversely, when I'm looking to buy on CL, it always annoys me when dudes price their used **** ridiculously high. "I only put five hours on this MIM Strat so I'm asking $480." Or the dudes who try to sell their guitars with the cost of all their new pickups and other mods added on like they're doing you a favor.

mark norwine

I sold a traditional goldtop for a very-reasonable $1200....

One guy e-mailed me to death for more pictures, details, etc., etc. Back & forth we went...about 12 e-mails over 3 days, after which he said, "OK....I'm ready to make my offer: $700"

Really?

I ultimately sold it, but not to that jerk...

Jett

Platinum Supporting Member
I have some vintage les paul and les paul jr. knobs up right now. Here is the latest response from someone that is not even interested.

"Ok so I've been playing for 20 years and I can't for the life of me understand why someone would pay more a few dollars for a less than a once of molded plastic. I bid you good luck sir. There are many fools out there I'm sure another will find you and you two will make sweet music together."

Jimi D

I sold a traditional goldtop for a very-reasonable $1200....

One guy e-mailed me to death for more pictures, details, etc., etc. Back & forth we went...about 12 e-mails over 3 days, after which he said, "OK....I'm ready to make my offer: $700"

Really?

I ultimately sold it, but not to that jerk...
When I get offers like that I counter offer. In this case I would have counter-offered at "$1400", and told him there was a $200 surcharge for dealing with utter idiots.

That tends to get rid of the low-ballers quickly.

Honestly, in my old age, I just consign my unwanted equipment at an excellent used consignment shop we have in town... it's worth a C note or two in commission to avoid having to deal with the nincompoops and numbskulls...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom