I played 3 R9's yesterday and things are NOT looking good...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Robotechnology, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Robotechnology

Robotechnology Supporting Member

A little background history... I've never been a Les Paul guy. I think I touched a Jimmy Page that was nice earlier this year and a late eighties Studio with upgraded bridge pickup that sounded and felt nice but, BOAT ANCHOR! Out of picking up 100 or so $800-$4,600 Les Pauls over the past 15 years of my guitar playing journey, that JP model I touched recently, was the only LP I considered buying. I bought a Guild Bluesbird AAA a few years back and much prefer it over any Les Paul I have ever played EXCEPT that a funny thing happened yesterday... I went store hopping with a friend and was coexerced ;) into playing an R9 :eek: The clouds parted in the sky and the sun shined only on me for the 15 minutes or so that I played that guitar. I played 2 more (1 in the same store and one elsewhere) but, that first one that was handed to me was MAGIC! Now I know what some of you mean by your holy grail Les Paul. But, at this point in time, that is both a blessing and curse :( One look at my sig and you should understand why... I'd have to probably trade or sell 6 of my "children" to get that guitar... and there isn't a smiley sad enough to portray that thought as I'm already selling 6 other guitars to free up some cash for expenses as it is. I don't know haw some of you guys do it!

2. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

I can pick out more than 6 from that list that I'd trade in a heartbeat for a good LP.:rolleyes:

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I don't know haw some of you guys do it!

I hear that.........Some of the prices on some of the guitars hear blow me away.........but somebody somewhere is buying them , becuase they all sell.

But if your spending $2-3000 on a guitar I'd much rather see it go to a small luither hear like heatley or driskill, or even John Suhr then support Gibson. I think your hands and ears would thank you as well.

4. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Personally, "the one" would mean more to me than a dozen guitars that were "ok". You can always replace the "ok" guitars later as you save up some funds but I've learned the hard way that "the one" doesn't come along very often. In my 40 years at this silly guitar stuff, there was only one guitar that was extra special to me and, sadly, I let it get away :(.

5. Hoss

Hoss Member

the important thing is that the guitar does "speak" to ya...it doesn't happen often, but when it does you better do something about it or you will always wonder..."what if"

6. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

i got my R9 on 9 jan 2001 , it weighs 8 lbs 5oz , i sold the classic 57s that were in her and i fitted voodoo 59 pafs , everything else is stock.

that gtr absolutely rings like a tuning fork and id never ever even dream of letting it go. if you are ever lucky enough to have a gtr that speaks to you , you should never part with it. i could have saved myself some cash and bought a R7 or R8 , both magnificent gtrs, but ive never regretted spending what my R9 cost me, she is worth every cent.

jimmy

7. Robotechnology

Robotechnology Supporting Member

Johnnytone, I don't see a ;) in your post but, you're entitled to your opinion... free country and all :p

OldSchool, I have a Suhr and an Anderson. My Falbo is actually a custom handmade one of a kind 7-String. So I have what I consider 3 small luthier made guitars.

VaughnC & Hoss, after I pair down the 1st set of 6 guitars... ALL of the guitars left speak to me in one way or another. But, I know what you mean about the one that got away... happened to me :( with a superstrat type Fender Custom Shop last year but, it was used at a local GC and you know how that goes pricewise :rolleyes:

Rock Fella, what tonal differences did your notice after your pup swap?

I guess the max characters allowed in sigs was recently restricted... when I went to delete a piece of gear that I sold it wouldn't let me save it... so I decided to change my sig to something more appropriate :AOK

8. matte

matte Senior Member

Exactly. I have very few guitars. They all if they don't get play, they don't stay.

9. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Prices on R9's are all over the map... not sure where you played that 'one', but if the price is over $3600ish it is overpriced. I'm assuming this isn't a 'Page' or 'Murphy' or any other specialty LP.

10. matte

matte Senior Member

I would look for a 2001 R8 (the Authentics I had were my favourites of all the RI Lesters).

11. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Agree! Every '01 R8 Authentic (with Grovers) I've played was a very good Historic LP...

(Cool website btw!)

12. matte

matte Senior Member

I've had several of the "01s and every one rocked. Glad you dug my site.
    :)

13. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Hey Robo, Normally I'd tell you to get a used R7 or R8.

BUT.....if this guitar really spoke to you as you explained grab it, there is no substitute for that. Although it is a shame you have such expensive taste.

Welcome to the darkside, bwoo harrr harrr harrrrrrrrrrrrr.

14. matte

matte Senior Member

Expensive is relative term. There are guys on this board (and no I won't name names)that have several Bursts(not to be confused with RIs).

15. HHB

HHB Member

I think the historics really are a different breed from the Norlins we all grew up with ( most of us anyway ). I used to think that LP's had zero clean tone, only good for dirty rock and nothing else, after playing several Historics and then buying my 68' LP Custom I can tell ya that the one piece neck, long tenon make a huge difference, I understand people not digging LP's after playing Norlins for years, but give the reissues a try, a totally different beast. I gig every week , week in and week out so a few grand for a tool I use everyday seems reasonable to me.

16. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thats what pisses me of the most about Gibson besides their Horrible Coustomer relations and the way they screw loyal dealers............WTF is a Page or a Murphy besides a R9 with cosmetics? WTF is a R9..........really its just a R7 with a fancy Top.

I guess the company is entitled to make as much money as possible, and as long as people are paying them............they would be nutz to stop doing it..........but I'll be damned if I'll be a part to it. :NUTS

17. alguit

alguit Guest

Oh, go one, sell the other guitars!:angel

I found a "Holy Grail" Les Paul a few years ago myself. I had no intention of even buying a guitar that day, but I sat down with seven R9's and walked out with a plaintop (actually, some birdseye in it, but head on it's pretty plain), a 7lb, 5oz wonder! (My back has not stopped thanking me!).

These guitars are terrific-one-piece backs, quality tops, authentic Holly veneers cut correctly for the headstock face. Most importantly, they have the long-tenon neck joint which transfers so much more vibration throughout the guitar than does the modern LP.

It has proven itself on stage and in the studio, and I consider it among the few keepers in my collection.

18. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I think the 2001 & 2002 Historic Lester’s are the money ones. The one I shipped over to Procos {2002} was the most resonant and sweetest sounding Les Paul that I ever played. It had all the right moves; resonant unplugged tone, perfect weight, comfy neck, clarity on the bottoms and chime & cream on the bridge pickup, not harshness. A real tone wonder. I just purchased a $1600 dollar snow blower and need cash otherwise I would have never sold it. Like I told Chuck, I’m praying for lots of snow this season so I don’t have any regrets. Although, I think it’s already to late.
    Anyway, the new Historic’s that I’ve played sound stiff and too bright and most of the necks I’ve demo’d are far to clubby and D-shaped for my hands.

19. johnspeck

johnspeck Member

I tried several guitars with the intention of finding an inspiring instrument, regardless of make.

The last guitar I tried is the one I went home with... a Gibson R7. I preferred this over a killer Rosewood McCarty, an R8, R9, CS SG... It was 'the one', and everytime I play it, I feel good. If this guitar makes you feel anywhere near how I do when I pick mine up, go get her!

20. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

It's a tough dilemma for sure. This past Tuesday I went out with the family for dinner for my b-day & the restaurant just happened to be 1/2 a block from GC. So of course to kill time I had to stop in there. :) I too am GAS'ing for a LP so I tried a few out & the very first one the salesguy handed me definitely struck a chord with me. '05 Standard in some dark red color (black cherry?) with gold hardware & a 50's neck. Rationality got the better of me thankfully, but I could've walked out of there right then with it & been totally content. That is until reality set in & I realized how much I would've spent. :) Still, if it's the right piece at the right time & it works for you then it very well may be worth weeding out the collection for.