I played a Dumble this weekend!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LordRiffenstein, Jan 14, 2008.

1. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

Amongst a bunch of other REALLY cool amps.

Visited a friend in Germany who owns some really stellar gear. We had a small ampfest at his place as he recently bought my Carr and I was delivering it myself so I could play the Dumble.

We had a Badger, Egnater Tol100, Carr Slant6V, Dumble Overdrive Special, CAE 3+ preamp and Axe-FX, bunch of cabs, bunch of guitars, lotsa fun.

The Axe-Fx really surprised me, great great tones from that unit and the FX are stellar. I feels more or less like a good amp, responds like one and just sounds great. We mostly ran it thru a small Brunetti power amp with great results. In 30 minutes we made a preset modelled after the clean of the Carr and came VERY close. :cool:

The Badger was totally WOW, I loved the versatility of that amp, going from Voxy cleans to Voxy/Marshally crunch to great fat gain tones. So responsive and packing a lot of punch. I definitely wouldn't mind owning one.

We did not play the Egnater at all haha, to much time spend with the other goodies. The CAE is obviously a great preamp, I own one myself.

So, the Dumble?? I have played a number of Fuchs amps and also a Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature. They all are in the same vein as the Dumble and all are reasonably close BUT, I know now there is nothing out there exactly like the real thing. We ran it thru a matching 1x12 loaded with an EV speaker. Whatever guitar you plugged into it, the tones were breathtaking, Strat into clean, amazing, P90 LP on either channel was crunch heaven, LP was rocking, ES335 was blues/fusion heaven.

I must say that I have never tried to get "that" tone although I really like the older Ford tones, Carlton tones etc. I always figured it was just as much the player as the gear. Well, yes and know. Plugging the tokai ES335 into the overdrive channel of the Dumble, it just delivers THAT tone. The Dumble needs to be played though. It is so responsive, definitely the most responsive amp I have ever played. You can really go from clean to fat sustain with your playing technique. It's unforgiving, everything you don't want to hear, you will hear out in the open. You have to work the guitar but the results make it all worth easily.

I was looking forward to playing the Dumble but never would have thought that it would have an almost religious impact on things. I have heard and played it now and I will never forget it. Even if I never ever get to play it again, I know that I've been there, tried it, loved it and will always remember it.

[​IMG]

2. voodoochile

voodoochile Supporting Member

wow, very cool indeed. I woul dlove to give that a try, and am somehow a little saddened that it is not all hype... thanks for the review!

3. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

That's bad ass. You've been to the top of the mountain.

4. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

5. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

Thanks guys, I know that this is a given but I will say it again, if you EVER get a chance to play one, DO IT.

Here's the other side of that little room:

[​IMG]

6. dongrosh

dongrosh Member

it was an pleasure to have you at my home my friend -
    you are always welcome - dongrosh

7. parker

parker Member

Cool post Riff! Did you happen to catch any details on the amp? from the photo it looks like a '70's Overdrive Special any idea on the serial number? or interesting cosmetic details?

8. dongrosh

dongrosh Member

it´s an late 70 ODS 50 Watt - it was an dark wooden combo before - very heavy - now it´s fitted separate in an Top and Cab - so this is not original like the knobs too, a long time ago the chicken heads have been more popular.....
    The Serialnumber will not be disclosed for some personal reasons......

9. bosstone

bosstone Member

Not to rain on anyone's parade because I wish it was me who played the Dumble but 95%+ of us will never play one much less own one. To give those of us in that category some perspective and a shot at tone nirvana, there are some great pedals out there that give tons of responsiveness and and many amps that are much less expensive that have great and unique sound. A good combination of the two can achieve tone heaven at a small fraction of the cost.

10. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I envy you! I would love to play a Dumble just to find out what all the hype is about. I recently bought a Orange Retro 50 because of all the talk on how it's the best of the British amps, etc. I have to admit, it is a true religious experience to play that amp, it's like finding something you've been search for for a long time. I love the Orange, but will probably never have the $5000+ to buy a Dumble.

11. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Congrats on playing the real deal! Too bad you didn't record the event.

Several guys have played them, but few have posted clips. I know clips can't tell the whole story, but it would be some nice candy for the gear hounds.

12. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

That's pretty awesome. Nice collection there DonGrosh!
    So the next obvious question to either Lord Riff or Don ... what comes close to the responsiveness and cleans and drive in a Dumble? that isn't out of reach? (and I would designate the Two Rock Sigs out of reach ... ) In pedal or amp form.

13. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Very nice of you to give us some eye candy. I can also respect not wanting to disclose the s/n.

I'd love to hear some recordings of the amp, if you have any.

14. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Glad to read this.

So much has been said about Dumbles...I'm glad that, at least in some instances, the tone lives up to the hype.

15. Peppy

Peppy Member

You're gonna have to change that $5000 (I know, you put a "plus" mark in there) by a few multipliers.

16. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

That's a beautiful experience for you.
    Now network with the many kind people who had some seriously weird biz dealings with HAD, and the negative side of that tone.:YinYang

17. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Supporting Member

Adding another zero would do it. ;)

18. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W. Gold Supporting Member

Hoiw could you even know if what you call haven is close to the real dumble if you never played one. It is natural for people to rationalize the dumble to suck because we wont acheive it and so i guess it mak us feel better about wha we have. example someone metioned earlier they were sad iut was not hype. Long story shory, please appreciate the amp and this discussion and stop raining

19. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

Thanks for the review, Yoeri! And causing all kinds of sin (lust, envy, covetousness, jealousy LOL :D)

I'm wondering--with having all these great amps are you still loving the Engls as much as before? There's so many awesome amps these days... hopefully a similar increase in some of those magical elements will ensue. :)

20. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

Nice review, thanks.

I too have played many magnificent amps that I will never be able to own, and that in and of itself is a great thing. They are experiences to relish.