I played a gibson SG classic and a PRS SE soapbar today.Guess which one I liked best!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by riffpowers, Mar 17, 2006.

1. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I was guitar shopping for a P90 workhorse today.
    The shop I went in had an SG classic, so I tried that.It was a good sounding and good quality guitar, but after years of playing les pauls, I just couldn't get used to the playing position.It seemed like it was 2 frets too far to the left all the time!!!
    I mentioned the PRS SE soapbar, they said they had one so I tried that.It was a white 2 cutaway version.When I picked it up I initially thought that it looked and felt a bit plastciy and cheap, and felt a bit light compared to the reassuring weight of a gibson, so I was expecting a cheap and unsatisfying guitar.
    How wrong I was!!I was blazing up and down the neck, it was really confortable, and it sounded great.It was phatter than the sg, which I liked.The controls felt decent quality, but I would have prefered the standard gibson config of 2 vols and tones rather than the 1.They plugged me into a crappy line 6 amp, I was dying to see how much better it would sound through a decent tube amp or my matamp.
    The only thing that let it down was the lack of 2 vol and tones, the cheap look and feel to the finish, and it felt light to me compared to my les pauls.But, I would have picked it over the SG in a heartbeat.
    Anyone else liking these guitars??Now I;m wondering wether to get the PRS SE soapbar or the Gibson LP special.

2. CS'56

CS'56 Member

I love mine! I've had it for a year and it's just a fantastic guitar! It's a far better guitar than the price you pay for it

3. pm81

pm81 Member

I have the singlecut version and it's one of my favorites. Neck reminds me of a McCarty. Pots and switch got an upgrade and all is good.

4. Icetech

Icetech Member

What kinda pricetag on the prs though?

5. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

1/2 the price of the sg

6. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

Anyone know the fret size/neck radius of the PRS?

7. jayhawk

jayhawk Member

Musicians Friend just raised the price on the SG Classic from $850 to $1,000. That should make the choice even easier for anyone comparing the two. :)

8. dogfood

dogfood Member

where was the PRS built? Korea is my one dollar bet. Gibson is Tokyo and Korean built other brands are Godzilla.

9. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

I just spent as many minutes as I could stand in GC (that place is a Zoo of bad Metallica on Saturdays). There is construction on the 202 west, so I figured I'd just cruise by there on the surface streets instead of fighting the traffic on the 60...

Anyway, I'm looking for a TV yellow special, thinking of a '90's Hamer, actually. The only thing GC had with P90's was a maroon SE. I think this one was a return, it had some some buckle rash. But, man! For $350, this thing is a steal. I'm not going to buy it, but if anyone else is in the market for something at this price point, I'd say jump on it. It's at the GC on Elliot in Tempe, AZ. The intonation was a little out, but probably easily remedied with a screw adjustment (one of those compensated PRS bridges). The neck looked OK.

I was playing it through a 16W (I think) Crate Palomino. Those are nice little amps, too.

Scott

10. lhallam

lhallam Member

Guy I jam with just returned his PRS cuz he said it wouldn't stay in tune.
    Maybe he got a lemon, dunno. I thought it sounded pretty good.

11. Icetech

Icetech Member

$400-500 for a brand new PRS? jesus... when i stopped looking at prs's years ago they were like 1500-2k.. i am gonna have to go take another look:)

12. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

Those are Korean PRS's for 4-500.

13. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

Sound like a nut issue to me...nothing that can't be fixed for a small fee if you don't have the ability/tools/knowledge to fix it yourself.

14. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Since you are talking about a "workhorse" instrument - to be toted and dinged and sweated on from gigging - I would go with the Korean PRS. If, on the other hand, you wanna keep the guitar as a collection addition or for possible re-sale down the road, I think the extra cash for the Gibson is well worth it. I recently bought an LP Special Faded Doublecut to replace an old 61 SG Special with P-90s, and it's a very nice guitar. Here's my recent review:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=135186&highlight=LP+Special

and some pics:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=137528&highlight=LP+Special

15. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Hi Doug

Yeah I saw your review of the DC faded, sounded good.
    I've got my eye on one, but I've never seen the finish in the flesh, so I'm worried I might not like it.