I played a real 1984 Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ today!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ML Sound Lab, May 27, 2019.

1. ML Sound Lab

ML Sound Lab Vendor

No that's just my Music Man JP6 straight into the amp.

2. gibson5413

gibson5413 Member

Awesome! I owned one for a while and they are most certainly legit.

Please make some killer Kemper profiles!!!!

ML Sound Lab likes this.
  3. ML Sound Lab

ML Sound Lab Vendor

Will definitely do so. That's what I got the amp for. It belongs to Matias Kupiainen from Stratovarius and he wanted me to make an Amp Pack of his personal IIC+ so "his sound" is forever immortalized in digital format. :)

gibson5413, jeff_lebowski and Lef T like this.
  4. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

5. MichiganEsquire

MichiganEsquire Member

60W? If so, and depending on the moment, I'd venture to say that an old "SR" (60W with Reverb) was the best sounding IIC+ I ever played and I've had a number of them. Presuming they can still be found around $1500, they're outstanding values.

lpd likes this.
  6. louis

louis Member

Thanks !........looking forward to play one some day !:)

ML Sound Lab likes this.
  7. les_paul

les_paul Member

I had two of them on separate occasions and they didn't sound nearly as good as a Mark IV to my ears.

ML Sound Lab likes this.
  8. jujube

jujube Member

Why do some people say that you have to have a GEQ? What if you are setting it up for only one tone?

ML Sound Lab likes this.
  9. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

The tonestack on the mark series amps is sort of intertwined with the gain stages, unlike your typical Marshall where the tonestack sits post gain.

You crank the bass knob on a Marshall, you get more bass. You crank the bass on a mark amp, you get flub and lose all definition if you are using any gain at all.

Not having the GEQ is a little like having a Marshall with no tone knobs.

stonem, ML Sound Lab and jujube like this.
  10. ML Sound Lab

ML Sound Lab Vendor

Yeah the graphic EQ sliders are after the preamp section but before the power amp section. What this enables you to do is get a ton of versatility. One thing that I want to try is to try and make my Mark V sound just like my Recto because I believe I can get at least pretty close and that's all thanks to those sliders. If you want a loose low end like a Recto what you want to do is add more bass in the preamp section and then cut it with the GEQ. That's the opposite what I'm doing in these videos where I want to get the tightest sound possible by having a mid heavy brighter sound in the preamp and then scoop those mids out to get that super tight low end.

jujube likes this.
  11. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

My first Boogie (of many, many to follow) was an ‘85 no stripe 60w with reverb (no GEQ). It was a fantastic amp, but it did not sound or feel like a IIC+. The clean side of the II was much beefier, while the III had a harder, glassier 80’s clean sound. This of course impacted the gain sounds. The IIi was tighter in some ways while the IIC+ was bouncier (for lack of a better term LOL). I don’t worship at the altar of IIC+ but it was a unique amp and they are rightly prized since they really can’t be authentically reproduced.

Cliff (Fractal designer) was a longtime boogie user and even the first gen Axe did a good job with boogie sounds. But one must always keep in mind that an FOH feed or amplification with an FRFR rig simply doesn’t move air exactly like a real amp. No matter how well it’s modeled, you are still re-amping it and reproducing it thru a different cab. But I can tell you that I once spent a chunk of a day A/B’ing the Axe against the Triaxis and Mark IV, thru the same Mesa power amp into the same Mesa cab, and I got to the point (as someone who gigged a Tri rig for over 15 years, backed up by numerous boogie stacks and combos) where I couldn’t tell the difference.,,for some specific sounds at least. So yes, Fractal does a good job but modeling is what it is. With certain setups you can get very close to one type of amp (presuming you are going thru a power amp into a guitar cab), but then you’ve compromised how close you can get to something else. To me, modeling isn’t about cloning something else, models are just jumping off points. But this isn’t a modeling thread...back to the mighty IIC+.

12. supergenius365

60W no reverb. I know some folks really dislike Mesa reverb, but it would be nice to have imo. If I don't have my pedalboard, I run a Wampler Faux Spring through the effects loop. Not a big hassle, but it's not a grab-n-go amp for me.

13. MichiganEsquire

MichiganEsquire Member

You'll need one, especially if you play with (high) gain. That said, you can do just fine with an external EQ in the loop. Won't be the same, technically, but you'll certainly get great results.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    jujube likes this.
  14. MichiganEsquire

MichiganEsquire Member

I wouldn't stress about the lack of reverb, it's really not very good on the IICs.

supergenius365 likes this.
  15. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Funny how the MkV to me over craps all over the mkII.
    Still take Recto over this. Did a few years on a V and Lone Star...and I none of the you he'd a T-Verb IMO.

16. Ed DeGenaro

Your right about Mesa...but JMPs...not so much. Bass control is fairly useless and seeing that the amp partially lives on power amp crunch. Gain is mosdef after eq

17. supergenius365

I know. Just would be handy sometimes.

18. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

You are right, I should have specified modern Marshall’s. My plexi tone knobs behave differently when compared to something like a DSL.

That said, I’m going to step out on a limb and suggest that the majority of the crunch you hear in a JMP is actually the phase inverter and not the power tubes overdriving. This is why post phase inverter master volumes work so well in those amps. I guess you could consider the PI part of the power amp though.

19. Ed DeGenaro

I do...but that's still post eq regardless...

20. ML Sound Lab

ML Sound Lab Vendor

A post phase inverter master volume mod is fun but it just doesn't "give you the exact same sound with lower volume". It's a different sound that IMHO lacks the fullness and smooth unsizzly top end that you get with the power amp cranked. That's just based on the tests I've made using a 2203 with that mod done to it, I'm not sure if there's a better version of that mod but the tests on YouTube by Johan Segeborn showed this same result.