I played a Sweetwood Comet

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Critter, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Critter

Critter Member

A buddy of mine has been telling me about his Sweetwood
    comet and how much he likes it. I actually live a few hours
    from where they’re made and the owner (Glenn) was going to be
    up in the north bay area so we met up and I got to play one.

First impression on fit and finish , I’ll just say it was very well
    done with a obvious care placed in every detail.

Tone, Great tone and not in that high output makes your hair stand
    on end kind of way, but more of the “desert island” kind of way.. If I
    could only have one guitar on a desert island kind of tone.. Glenn said
    it had pickups especially made for wolftone tor his guitars..

Playability... From what Glenn said he will make a neck to fit
    any player, since my preference is for a modern fender/Ibanez sort
    of feel (rounded / thin) that’s what he brought. Having played guitars
    from almost every popular boutique maker out there I was immensely
    impressed, it was like Ibanez and PRS got together to make me a guitar.
    Extremely good action and a neck that fit me perfectly.

The only two things I would change on the guitar if I had the opportunity
    is the shape of the headstock which is just a personal thing as I never cared much
    for the arrow head look on Flying V’s and the bridge saddles because they have
    a square front edge like I have felt on many bridges, Glenn said that he’d be happy
    to fix that for me and the headstock definitely won’t stop me from getting one so
    it will most likely be the next weapon I add to my stage and studio arsenal..

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. Sweetwood

Sweetwood Member

Great review. Thanks a lot for the feedback.

3. Critter

Critter Member

Thanks Glenn,
    I appreciate you showing me the guitar, hopefully the red one will get back soon so I can check it out. Superlite with a resonant les paul tone

I actually love the shape and feel of the bridge, and with some different saddles I'm sure I'd be happy to use it in my next project.....

4. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

The Comet is a comfortable playable shape, which can cover a bunch of ground.. I played one of my Comets last night for about a half an hour, and then switched to one of my favorite LPs... My LP felt like a clunky boat anchor after playing my Comet.... Don't get me wrong, I love my Les Pauls, but my go-to axe is my Sweetwood Comet.

5. Critter

Critter Member

I went back and played an ultralight last weekend at the berkley musicians flea market.. It was like playing a cross between a les paul and a ibanez saber (one of my favorite guitars to play). I play a lot of country/classic rock when I go out and other band members seem to not care for the 90's shredder look of the ibby's so this is a great find. that being said he had another with quite a different feel a little closer to les paul but not heavy and had a natural dark quilt type top.

6. Broken Cord

Broken Cord Member

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]I've been enjoying being the owner of one of Glenn's Comet models for several weeks now, and I have to agree that both their tone and playability are both strong points of this guitar. Moreover, at around 6 lbs one doesn't have to worry about fatigue whilst playing extended sets.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Visually I find the design of the Comet very appealing, and I totally dig the headstock being simple and understated. The headstock on any given guitar can make or break my decision to own a guitar, and with the Sweetwood Comet I have no regrets. The neck on the Comet is one of the most comfortable necks I've played, and from what I understand Glenn offers enough choices in his neck sizes to please most players needs. My Comet has what Gleen calls: Asym Standard - a medium neck contour that feels just right. Sweetwoods most popular by far. "Wow, it feels like an old friend." Sweetwoods “asym necks” are rounder by the nut and become more pronounced as you move up the neck. [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]There are a lot of fine instruments being made today and it is my honest opinion that the Sweetwood Comet will hold its own against anything being produced today at this price point. Moreover, I believe the Sweetwood Comet can even hold it's own against many guitars being offered for much more as well.[/FONT]