I played an Orange OR15 at GC today...HOLY !#@$%!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jimmyohio75, Jan 14, 2014.

1. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

Yay Jim!

2. mikebat

mikebat Member

Must be because the demos below are much more what I heard the first time around.

I was so disappointed when it was all fizzy and frayed...here I was trying to impress my friend with it...

3. ken374

ken374 Member

I played it at the 7 watt mode in the store at low volume, it didnt do anything for me. My Bogner blue/Fender was way better.

4. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Yep, sounds kinda thin and brittle at low volumes. Gotta crank it up to get the goods out of it.

5. Plaid Sabbath

Plaid Sabbath Silver Supporting Member

I'm surprised you thought it sounded fizzy. Mine has always sounded really full and warm. I did a quick demo about a year ago. Stock MIM Tele into the OR15 through a homebrew 2x12...
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12121402

6. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

The OR15 is the first Orange amp that I would describe as "bright". All the others I have owned have been dark. Even with my Les Paul it seemed overly bright to me. I just sent my OR15 back to Humbucker. I am exchanging it for another Dual Terror. The DT has been my favorite amp over the past 3-4 years. I never should have sold it. Soon we will be reunited and all will be right with the world!!!

7. merriweather69

merriweather69 Member

I LOVE my OR-15, run it through a Marshall 1960BX cab w/ greenbacks, use it for practice with the band @ 15 watts, @ home with smaller cabs @ 7 watt setting, Can get away with it live miked up with the 4x12, especially smaller stages. Great tone, best bang for buck amp... my main head is a '73 Marshall 1986 bass head - 50 watts and loud!!! The Orange doesn't do what the Marshall can but it does sound authentic, great amp. I wish they would do an affordable double EL34 version in the exact same layout control wise, just bigger box, that would be perfect...

8. sg7964

sg7964 Member

What kind of speaker are you using? I run my OR15 through a 1x12 G12H30 and it's got plenty of bass, only have to set it a 2 oclock, even with an sg bridge position. I find it to be dark just like other Orange amps. I used to have a Dual Terror and I really want it back too. But the OR rocks man! Bummer

9. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

I kinda thought the same thing when I owned mine, but I think it might have been partly speaker releated. I recently got a Jim Root Terror that I use now and it is FANTASTIC (and built on the same board as the OR15). I swapped out V1 and V2 for 5751 preamp tubes to cut the gain a little and I ended up going from a Vintage 30 to a Scumback M75 and am MUCH happier now with the sound.

I thought this was more a "metal amp" but it does rock and blues crunchy tones VERY well.

One thing though, I have found this amp sounds 10x better when you push it a little. At bedroom levels it is a little harsh IMO. However, in 15W mode with the volume a little over half way and the gain at around 11, this thing starts to sing.